FR651 AirFilter Modification

RayMcD

Threads
Gentlemen, I just got around to completing this project. My original intent was to simply raise the air filter up a foot, it ended up moving up 21". I'll attach 4 photo's to show the progress.
Photo 1 shows the basic structure/frame with the air tube (2" radiator hose) and mounting plate made from a plastic electrical cover. Photo 2 shows the base plate. Photo 3 shows the air filtersnorkle1.JPGsnorkle2.JPGsnorkle3.JPGsnorkle4.JPG box. Photo 4 shows the filter arrangement and box lid. Looking at the rear of the machine, the air box is open on left hand side(as far away from the discharge as possible). The lid simply folds flat on top of the filters. The outer filter is a WIXs 42088.

Please review and send any questions, Cheers, Ray

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tou might need to replace the hose with suction hose as it might collapse in heavy use .
If you start seeing black smoke & the mower feels like it is running rich then suspect the tube collapsing .
And you will need some diagonal bracing on those legs lest they smack you in the back of your head .

RayMcD

Threads
Tou might need to replace the hose with suction hose as it might collapse in heavy use .
If you start seeing black smoke & the mower feels like it is running rich then suspect the tube collapsing .
And you will need some diagonal bracing on those legs lest they smack you in the back of your head .
Hi Bert, both good points, there is some bracing not shown but may be room for more. As for the tube, it is actually very rigid but I will continure to monitor very closely for issues, one option is to simply use the OEM filter, thanks Ray

bkeller500

Threads
What does a air filter cost?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow !! To be honest, I'm just not feeling it.. (sorry man)

(1) For any valve adjustments, & / or etc, "looks" like you would have to remove this 'tower'.

(2) I see that thing wiggling back & forth while mowing.

(3) And FWIW: now that you removed the OEM filter cover, there are 2 open holes in blower housing that will blow out air that is meant to help cool the engine. And it needs all it can get.

Last edited:

RayMcD

Threads
What is your main reason for all that modification?
To get the air source as far away from the ground as possible.
Wow !! To be honest, I'm just not feeling it.. (sorry man)

(1) For any valve adjustments, & / or etc, "looks" like you would have to remove this 'tower'.

(2) I see that thing wiggling back & forth while mowing.

(3) And FWIW: now that you removed the OEM filter cover, there are 2 open holes in blower housing that will blow out air that is meant to help cool the engine. And it needs all it can get.
LA, first, thanks for the tip, if here is holes in cover that needs to be covered I'll get it done.

As for wiggling, actually this thing is made with corner brackets and is braced well, it is actually very rigid. It bolds directly to the rear frame and engine gaurd. If it becomes necessary to remove it's just a few bolts.

My yard is total 1.5 acres, when it's done about an acre of mixed varieties of grass, some areas with shade and moss. It takes ~ an hour to cut after which in the stock configuration my air filter is completely covered. As it is now with the filter raised (~21") it hardly looks like the engine has been run. One would have to believe that would be beneficial to the engine. I see or hear no change in how the engine performs from the stock arrangement but I am still toying with the filter arrangement. I placed the large filter around the stock filter without the pre filter. The lid folds flat on top of the filters and the air comes in the side away from the mower
discharge. Another member cautioned me about the air tub possibly collasping, I don't see that happening but I am watching.

I believe I have read every article available on the FX style air box and honestly believe what I have fashioned does the job well for a fraction of the cost of the manfuctured products. I probally could have simpy placed a single flat plate on the frame work with the stock filter and got similar results. All in all I don't see how anyone is happy with the stock airfilter arrangement with an FR651V on the back of any ZTR, unless your yard is much cleaner than mine. Cheers, Ray

Digiacomo

Threads
I'm new here. but i have to give you a handshake on a good job, you saw a problem and instead of complaining, tweaked that machine for your personal useage........Ive always experimented in treeking.........and got a lot of fails over the years, but it sure is fun for me...;-)