FH500V problems

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unless you have a special engine on a piece of equipment that you don't want to part with, it is more feasible to just replace the engine if you want to keep the piece of equipment, and feel that it is in good enough shape to cover the expense of a new engine. New engine come with warranty.

trying to trade in a mower with a non running engine kills the value. Since the dealer that you are trading it into doesn't know what it will cost to repair, he will most likely assume he will have to put a new engine on, so that will come off your trade in value.

Rings could cause low compression, but doesn't account for the cylinder with 0. That is something else.

Poppy

Threads
I'll delve into it some more today ... my wife wants us to go look at some Hustlers in a pretty close town to us, but the Exmark has been a pretty good mower for the most part. I talked to an Exmark dealer about a cost range on the valves etc., but he didn't want to give a range ... if it comes to $3k +, we're thinking it may be better to start over. It could be the hydraulics next.

Do lawn service guys routinely buy used mowers and refurbish or just buy new equipment?

Thanks again for all the help ... Pop

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it is a valve or head, head gasket problem then it is worth repairing. if it gets into a ring wear situation, then I would start looking toward new mowers, unless you are willing to replace the engine with something other than the Kaw that is on it. Even a kohler replacement could get into the 2500-3000 range.

Some lawn care services will purchase used equipment if they are starting out, or are a one two man self employed business. The larger lawn care services will purchase new, run them about 1000-1500 hours and then trade them in on new.

Poppy

Threads
Well, we just got back from a Hustler/Deere dealer to see what they had outside ... the Hustler zeros look pretty good plus some of the higher end ones looked like they would match up with an Exmark. The only Deere zero didn't look so hot but some of the tractors did.

I'll let you know later what I discover about the Kaw engine.

Thanks again ... Pop

Poppy

Threads
Ok, here's the latest ... I don't have a leakdown tester but tried what "Eric the car guy" recommended on youtube - do it the old fashion way: pull the Schrader valve out of the compression tester hose, hook it up to an air compressor then listen at the tail pipe, carb and oil filler. Since I can hardly hear my wife said no noise at the oil cap just a little at the carb + smell of gas, and even I heard the noise out of the tail pipe and you could feel the air piling out of there too. So that's where we are.

What would you guess it would cost for an Exmark shop to fix, and I guess parts are still available to me if I wanted to take a swing at it?

Thanks again ... Pop

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It looks like parts are available. the cost to repair will depend on the actual cause of failure. Like are the valves damaged, or is the head also damaged, and need to replace the head.

Poppy

Threads
Thanks IE, I'll try to get some prices tomorrow ... do you know of a good youtube video of someone assessing and repairing valves, heads etc. on a Kaw? I haven't located one yet. Pop

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't work on many Kaw's myself. When they do come into the shop, most have major issues. Like the 25 hp on a Z turn last year, had to replace the starter, both ignition modules, and the push rods on number 2 cylinder, because they were bent.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It will take all of 10 minutes to pop the heads off.
Then every thing will be laid out bare before you.
The Head gasket kit is about $ 120 down here but don't buy one till you have your heads off so if the motor is a write off you are not tossing good money after bad.

Take some photos and let us have a look.
Could be some thing as simple as a blown head gasket/s or crud stuck under a valve, burned valve.
None of them are hard to fix.
Just please be careful removing the head bolts.
Reverse the order for tightening them use a long breaker bar, loosen them all 1/6 th turn in order then another 1/6th turn in order.
Continue in this fashion till you feel no resistance then whip each bolt out.
Get an old carton lid and push the bolts through the lit so you can remember where each one came from

Kawaka do not do residual engines cheap through the replacement engine wholesalers but you can get engines up to 80 % discount and engines your size oft for $ 500 to $ 1000 so it is not a difficult job to keep the old mower going