Ferris Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

Lawn Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought my Ferris IS2000Z with 61" deck, Kohler 29HP EFI. Have a really bad back and love the suspension. I mow around 4 acres and seems to do a great job. Traded a 19 year old Woods mower with 61" deck, Kubota diesel. Hard to compare a 30HP diesel with 29hp gasoline but the Kohler has plenty of power. I have a Kohler on my smaller John Deere mower and it's given me great service. Good luck to all Ferris owners :smile:

D

DSepe

Hi I'm new to the forums. Just got my Ferris IS600z Kawasaki! Looking forward to being a part of the Ferris community on LMF.

sduncan000

Threads
Hi I'm new to the forums. Just got my Ferris IS600z Kawasaki! Looking forward to being a part of the Ferris community on LMF.

Mowing has never been so much fun! ;)

gagoober

Forum Newbie
Threads
Newbie to Site...Ferris Criterion 320 Owner

I'm an newbie to this site and pretty much a newbie to posting questions so please forgive me if I have botched this up from the start.

I have a Ferris Criterion 320, which I bought at a estate sale for $400.00 about 3 years ago. Doing the usual fluid change and other assorted items I got it to run and have been well pleased with the purchase. It has worked pretty much flawlessly until this year.

My problem at this moment is that it blows a fuse when I pull the button up to engage the mower deck. If I don't pull the deck engage button I can drive it all over the place with no problem. I have checked the spindles and everything on the deck rotates without any binding. I can just turn the start key to the on position , the engine is not running, and pull up on the deck engage button and it blows the fuse, bam ! I am suspecting that the coil on the clutch it creating a dead short, the coil has gone bad.

Am I on the right track or am I missing something ? I have not checked the wiring connector yet. But while I was checking I wanted to ohm the coil and was wondering what a good coil should ohm out at. I guess if it shows a dead short that is my answer.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

GAGoober
Down Deep in Dixie

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Newbie to Site...Ferris Criterion 320 Owner

I guess if it shows a dead short that is my answer.

Hello & Welcome to these Forums...
Check for a shorted wire from the pto switch to the clutch, they can fray and short to the frame...
A good clutch will be low ohms somewhere between 2 to 3 ohms... like you said near zero ohms will require a new clutch. You will need a fairly good DVOM... :smile:KennyV

cruizerjoy

Threads
Well I am new to the ferris world. I got my IS2100 08-19-2014 and I love it!!! The 29 efi kohler has gobs of power and runs smoooooth. Hope it rains soon so I can mow some grass

david_h_30170

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, from Georgia, I have a IS1500 that I bought new 4 years ago it has about 225 hours on it. I reallyi do like the mower, but having belt issues right now, maybe I can find a fix on this site.

ferrisbestyet

Threads
Hi .... I am frank owner of a 52 Ferris 74 years old and live in Shreveport la .....Retired Center Point gas man and mechanic and Paint and body man ,,,Also a 2 stroke Mercury mechanic ,,,,,,,Let just say,,,, I know motors and machines pretty well....Ferris is a great choice (my only choice) if you want to step up to a real lawn machine and get away from the home/owner brands, Spring loaded shocks on every wheel (nice ride) Grease fittings on all the blade spindles (sealed bearing wear out and u have to buy the whole assembly,) (Front foot floor pan come off so you can get at the belts and pulleys) Adjustable seat,,,,Safety belt......Roll bar......3/16 welded and reinforced deck........3 blade a cutting,,,,,(POWDER COATED) THE VERY BEST AND TUFF PAINT ON THE MARKET,,, HAS THE BRIGGS 25HP BRIGS COMERICAL ENGINE((.I STICK WITH BRIGGS,,,,)))(You will to if you ever need parts ,,) NO rice rockets for me......(JUST A CLEAN MEAN CUTTING MACHINE,,,,,,,,,LOVE IT DRIPS WITH QUALITY

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    330.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 22

tonyabitz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Glad to be here, today, I became a Ferris owner. Just dropped a a bundle on a 2015 IS3200. Looking forward to mowing season.