Ferris 23 Hp B&S Engine Vibration

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for that MParr. I did a search - Yes Loncin are available in Australia. There is a 24 HP variant with 1" shaft. Very cheap. There is no dealership close to me. My concern would be parts back up. I think I will stick with the B & S that hopefully will arrive in Australia about mid June
Good deal.

Skippydiesel

Threads
Just had a conversation with my local B & S agent;

He said that ever since CV19, supply of engines/parts (across several brand's) from the USA has been awful. Doesn't know why.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Thanks for that MParr. I did a search - Yes Loncin are available in Australia. There is a 24 HP variant with 1" shaft. Very cheap. There is no dealership close to me. My concern would be parts back up. I think I will stick with the B & S that hopefully will arrive in Australia about mid June
Loncin is a Honda clone (Chonda). Loncin, LCT, Predator, Powermore, etc. are all Honda clone Chinese made engines, and have not seen any real issues with them on equipment that comes through my shop. Parts are available online. Dealers often order equipment with these engines to offer a lower cost to the customer. Since customers have often been conditioned to love low cost (Walmart), the popularity continues to grow.

Skippydiesel

Threads
I am a bit surprised that there has been no speculation, as to the cause of one piston no longer being attached to the crankshaft of this engine???????

Skippydiesel

Threads
Still waiting for the Brains Trust to speculate on how a piston/con rod ends up separating from the crankshaft.

TobyU

Threads
Well, the first thing I would probably do is grab the engine and try to twist it left and right to see if the mounting bolts are loose..
If everything is nice and tight I would put it at a medium speed and running on each cylinder by canceling out the other cylinder by removing the plug wire with a thick rag and glove while it's running.
If it continues to run about the same on each cylinder you could figure that's a decent balance test and it's not crazy heavy towards one side of the engine.

The last thing I have seen cause problems would be whatever belt goes around the engine first..
Even with the PTO and everything else off, there is still some sort of belt and either pulley keeping that belt tight going around the engine that spins anytime it's running.
I had a residential grade 50 in Cub cadet one time and I kid you not I thought it had a rod knocking..
It was yammering so bad that as soon as the guy started it I immediately told him to turn it off because I didn't want to swing a ride to the side of the block.

It was just the belt had worn so much that the idler pulley was slapping back and forth and banging on the frame.
All I had to do is put a new belt on there which effectively was about a half inch smaller but I could have also put a slightly short of belt on there , and the noise was completely gone.
So get a flashlight and look around down there with it running to see if anything is slapping back and forth.

TobyU

Threads
I am a bit surprised that there has been no speculation, as to the cause of one piston no longer being attached to the crankshaft of this engine???????
My first response to him about this was to cancel out cylinders so that would quickly be determined. Lol

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep. A customer will come in with problems and as soon as they start the mower, I know it is running on one cylinder. They just can’t tell.
I have an old Kawasaki water cooled engine that I inherited with the business
Owner always thought it was under powered for a big engine
There is only 1 piston in the engine and it only had one in there from new

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just had a conversation with my local B & S agent;

He said that ever since CV19, supply of engines/parts (across several brand's) from the USA has been awful. Doesn't know why.
B & S Australia are pathetic and only interested in wholesaling to Bunnings & Mitre 10
I no longer fit B &S engines unless specifically asked to do so
B & S Australia will tell you things are NLA when they are readily available either from the USA directly or from John Deere Australia because they are just too lazy to import them .
Genuine Gator blades being the prime example .
John Deere will supply B & S engines cheaper than B & S will and also they are cheaper for parts but of course you need to know the JD part number .
Better still is the JD engines have much better air filter covers that do not rust the fasteners like std B & S covers do .
Now you have to pull the engine out in any case so pull it out and slip the sump off and see what sort of damage there is inside .
You have nothing to loose but a couple of hours .
3 usual reasons for dropping a rod, in order , over heating , low oil , over reving
Small Engine Warehouse in Australia is affiliated wth Small Engine Warehouse USA who sell superceded engines cheaply
I buy a lot of Kohlers form them as my Australian aftermarket wholesalers only sell Kawasaki or Loncin .
Do not worry about the size of the engine, it makes almost no difference as they all spin at the same speed and the extra power means next to nothing unless you are mowing pasture .
I have fitted a lot of engines that are as much as 5 Hp lower than the original and all the customers ever say is the mower is quieter and uses less fuel.
And this includes 3 commercial customers who mow up to 6 hours a day.
It is TORQUE that does the work and Torque is a function of piston area , stoke & compression.
All B & S engines with the same capacity prefix 44 for instance have the same bore stroke & compression the only difference apart from the stickers is a restrictor gasket between the manifold & the head to reduce the maximum air flow on the lower power engines & some times the governor spring .
Unless you are north of the Qld border the grass should be slowing down by now
Here there is nothing growing here other than Tussock grass, clovers , fire weed & sticky night shade right now