Exmark Radius E series with 708 possible camshaft issue

spf720

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Exmark Radius E series with 708 possible camshaft issue
New to the forum and thought I would start off with an issue I am having with my Exmark 708 engine. I went to adjust the valves and the intake valve was completely loose and the rocker off the pushrod. When I turn it over by hand the pushrod had zero movement. I pulled the head to see if anything was binding and everything looks fine. The piece that moves the pushrod on the engine side has no movement.
Question - is this a camshaft issue or is there another part that could be causing it?

Thanks

Steve

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, you’re new here so I’ll be nice. The techs on this forum are not psychic or have limited ESP skills, so we have no idea if your engine is Ford V-6, Dodge Hemi, Chevy big block or Briggs V-twin. You need to provide us with the engine brand and all engine numbers. When we have that info we will be able to help you diagnose your problem. Without them we will just be pissing in the wind, which we hate to do. We also would like to know how you tested for valve movement? Did you reset valve clearance first? Once you provide us with more info we’ll give you our best Answers as how to proceed.

spf720

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK I am new here and I thought the title

"Exmark Radius E series with 708 possible camshaft issue"​

or where I say it is an Exmark 708 engine in my question would give you a hint that it was a lawn mower and not a Ford V6. As I said in my question I was going in to adjust the valves when I saw the rocker was completely off the pushrod and the pushrod didn't move when I turned the engine over (by hand) so I never got to adjust it.

I do not have a detailed parts manual so I was asking what actually drives the pushrod as I do not work on lawn mower engines and believe it would be different than the car engines I work on and wouldn't have a traditional lifter set however I do not know. I will get a detailed engine manual and figure it out.

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don’t get it. Todays mower engines have both solid tappets and hydraulic lifters depending on which brand and model you have. If you really know about engines you know that they need different types of adjustments. How would I know which you have if you won’t post the engine brand and numbers.
Plus you said this “The piece that moves the pushrod on the engine side has no movement.” How do you know this? The camshaft pushes on the tappet or lifter, which pushes the pushrod, which will move the rocker arm. Unless you opened the engine you will have no idea if the tappet or lifter is moving. If you are offended by my reply you’ve never worked on a small engine before, as I asked for the normal information needed to diagnose small engine problems. After 50+ years of working on engines I do know that you don’t have a Ford-V6, but if you have really worked on more than one car engine, you would know that they are not all the same, that’s why I asked questions. If you would get off your millennium high horse and be humble that you are not smarter than the techs here, we could probably have helped you solve your problem and even supplied you with a service and parts manual. Your reply more than likely burned that bridge. Good Luck in solving your problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please try to remember
We are sitting here on the end of a screen with nothing to go on but what you type
Every brand of mower usually comes with a choice of 2 if not 3 different engines
And even then what is offered for one model can be different to another model of the same brand .
Now some will be familiar with Exmark and others like me have never laid a spannar on one
So we need a base to work off
What you have typed so far is confusing

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
We need the equipment actual model numbers instead the layman model slapped on the side of the equipment. It be something like "LZA20KAX484". That will get us to the mower's IPL which should have the engine info hopefully.

But it does sounds like worn round camshaft lobe.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To me it sounds like the adjuster nut may have come loose, but without knowing what he has we’re just guessing. To me this guy is from the group who says “ I want an answer now and if you’re any good you should be able to tell me without me doing any more work”. Also says “ I work on cars so I know what I am doing”. Probably won’t see him again, as he’s figured out he’s been beat.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It’s the Loncin 708 cc engine.

Reactions: me3

spf720

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I figured out what was wrong. And I will get into that. First I will apologize for making assumptions. While I thought my post was clear it apparently was not. For future reference:
Brand - Exmark
Series - Radius E
Engine - 708
The Exmark Radius E only has one engine and that is the 708 and as MParr stated it is made by Loncin.

I assumed that this would be enough information and clearly I was wrong so again my apologies.

As for what was wrong - I went to the local service center where I purchased the mower and they had blow-up diagrams showing the various pieces. As I mentioned in my original post the rocker had come off the pushrod as the nut holding it in place had come loose. This in turn allowed the piece between the camshaft and pushrod (lifter) to move up into the engine block where it was stuck. The fix was quite simple by taping the lifter back in place and adjusting the valves to the proper clearance. I also cleaned up the valves and replaced the valve seals and all seems to be good.

As for the other comments you are right you probably will not hear from me again and it has everything to do with me "figuring I have been beat" although not for the reason the poster meant. I am on several auto related forums and most of the people generally are welcoming and want to help as clearly is the case for some here. Unfortunately for others it is more about needing to win by beating others down. Although I did get a kick out of being called a millennial. Unfortunately I am several decades past that group and actually come from a generation that still thinks being respectful is important.

Rivets - While I will not be around to see it please feel free to continue to personally attack someone you have never met or spoken to as it seems to bring you joy.

Take care.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ouch, anyone have some Mecurochrome to put on the stab wound in my back? Must have not use a sarated knife as I don’t feel any pain. I guess I was right when I said a loose adjuster nut was the cause of the problem. He never mentioned that the nut was loose in his original posting, as he now states. He’ll be back, as a guest so no one knows, just to see if i reply. Sir, the part is called a tappet not lifter (tappet is solid and a lifter is oil filled) and I doubt it was stuck. If the tappet was stuck, as you state, there would need to be a cause which you have not addressed and the problem will reoccur in the future. As for your apology, I doubt it was meant for me so I’ll just go find someone who can understand 70+ year old humor.