Engine recomendation

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I want a new engine that's built to last

If you want an engine that is going to last any of the three you you mentioned will last you a lifetime if you maintain them on a regular schedule. Personally if I had to pick one of the three I'd go with the Kohler but that's just my opinion. I've never had a problem with any of my Kohler's and I mow 68 lawns a week with those and have for the last four years.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
They don't make tecumseh engines any more I at least don't think they do and I want something newer I don't want a motor that's 10 or 15 years old

You can still buy a new Tecumseh engine and they are made in USA. Prices start around 200 dollars or also a Briggs is made in USA.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
And not a piece of japcrap

If you don't want japcrap I'd stay away from B&S. They've been japcrap since I believe 1986 on some of there engines.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you don't want japcrap I'd stay away from B&S. They've been japcrap since I believe 1986 on some of there engines.

I really don't know where any of the engines are made anymore. Like I said early I heard Kohler was made in China and now you are saying Briggs is made in Japan. Just how do you know where anything is made anymore? I would say to be safe it would have to be a older engine and rebuild it. I have a Toyota car and I know for one thing it just never needs repairs and the car before this one was a Chevrolet and it needed repairs weekly.

Mwh0428

Threads
I will get a kohler or kawasaki

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I really don't know where any of the engines are made anymore. Like I said early I heard Kohler was made in China and now you are saying Briggs is made in Japan. Just how do you know where anything is made anymore? I would say to be safe it would have to be a older engine and rebuild it. I have a Toyota car and I know for one thing it just never needs repairs and the car before this one was a Chevrolet and it needed repairs weekly.

Ok you say to be safe it would have to be an older engine but what about any parts you need to buy for the engine, where do you think they would come from? I think you'll find that most major manufacturers of mower engines all have some ties to either Japan or China same as most car manufacturers. Briggs & Stratton was the first United States small engine company to engage with the Chinese on or for there motors.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok you say to be safe it would have to be an older engine but what about any parts you need to buy for the engine, where do you think they would come from? I think you'll find that most major manufacturers of mower engines all have some ties to either Japan or China same as most car manufacturers. Briggs & Stratton was the first United States small engine company to engage with the Chinese on or for there motors.

I really don't have a answer on this,do you? I have a friend that races go carts and uses the cheap Harbor Freight engines and he gets two seasons out of a engine. Now this is running this engine full bore every week end without a governor and for how ever long a race takes.. I know I buy a lot of my bearings off E-bay and they are made in China and to be honest I haven't had any problems with them. I take it you must be in the lawn care business and run your equipment a lot of hours. By doing this you know a lot more about this then me. I am just a part time repair shop and my customers are homeowners trying to save money. Seeing I have to buy retail it takes some looking on my part like salvage yards and E-bay. Also see you are making a living with your equipment you would not have time for this and to have any down time. I have worked on both sides in my over 60 years of repairs and when I worked on commercial equipment the customer want the best and wanted it fast.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now as far as Mwh0428 gos I really think a Harley Davidson motorcycle engine would make him a real screamer. Made in USA. :thumbsup:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now as far as Mwh0428 gos I really think a Harley Davidson motorcycle engine would make him a real screamer. Made in USA. :thumbsup:

:laughing: If you want a screamer you don't want a Harley. To much work involved to make a Harley a screamer, you definitely want a Japanese motor.

I just feel like the Kohler or the Kawasaki would be the best choice for Mwh428. The reason I'd never buy or own a Tecumseh is because they were never real big on there lawn mower motors, they were just an after thought and was there second string so to speak.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now he said no Japanese parts and only Harley is USA