Engine recomendation

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I want it to last but I don't want to go over 15 hp I don't think the drive train will hold up with any more power

Like I said in the first post nothing bad with a well maintained Tecumseh and chances are it will out last the rest of the mower. On top of that it will fit better without a lot of modifications. Also if you want a change the older cast iron Kohler's were a old work horse.

Mwh0428

Threads
Are the newer kohlers worth buying or not

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are the newer kohlers worth buying or not

I guess that would be a easy statement to make. Just why are you saying this? There must be a reason. I heard this pass summer at a tractor show that they are making them in China. I just don't believe everything I hear from a sales person and this is the reason I am asking this. I know after seeing problems on newer Honda and Kawasaki engines if they also make me wonder if they are any better. This is why I don't see anything wrong with the Tecumseh engine.

Mwh0428

Threads
They don't make tecumseh engines any more I at least don't think they do and I want something newer I don't want a motor that's 10 or 15 years old

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It looks like what ever you want to spend for money. I have no idea what you have to spend for this. Not much money go to Harbor Freight and you can buy a new Robin engine for around 100 dollars. Money is no problem go to your local dealer and buy a new Kohler for around 3000 dollars. ???? Used is cheaper then new. No forum knows you or what you want? I have no idea what answer you are looking for.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
That's a matter of opinion.

Why not what is so bad about a tecumseh. Talk is easy, because of experience or someone told you so? I sure have has more problems with Honda and Kawasaki then Tecumseh. This pass summer I have repaced a cam shaft in a Honda ATV with very low miles and a Kawasaki in a John Deere that the intake valve broke off and went through the piston. When I bought parts for the Kawasaki at the salvage yard the salvage yard told me that he sells more parts for a Kawasaki then any other engine. The biggest job I had on a tecumseh this pass summer is a valve adjustment. Now you must have a opinion why a tecumseh is not as good as a Honda or Kawasaki that is better then mine?? Lets hear it. Do you do a lot of repairs on all three engines??

Mwh0428

Threads
I want a new engine thats built to last

Mwh0428

Threads
And not a piece of japcrap

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why not what is so bad about a tecumseh. Talk is easy, because of experience or someone told you so? I sure have has more problems with Honda and Kawasaki then Tecumseh. This pass summer I have repaced a cam shaft in a Honda ATV with very low miles and a Kawasaki in a John Deere that the intake valve broke off and went through the piston. When I bought parts for the Kawasaki at the salvage yard the salvage yard told me that he sells more parts for a Kawasaki then any other engine. The biggest job I had on a tecumseh this pass summer is a valve adjustment. Now you must have a opinion why a tecumseh is not as good as a Honda or Kawasaki that is better then mine?? Lets hear it. Do you do a lot of repairs on all three engines??

I guess you could call it experience, I guess over the years I've been around enough people who owned Tecumseh motors, cussed there existence and seen them end up in the trash too know how good they are. If I'm not mistaking (not sure) but I believe they stopped making the things didn't they?
As far as the Honda and Kawasaki mower engines go, I run both and have run the Honda's for years and as of yet have ever had a problem with a Honda engine and my Kawasaki I've had for three years and not one repair.
I Personally wouldn't give you a nickle for all the Tecumseh motors that have ever been made, same with B&S but then again that's just my opinion which I guess I'm entitled too as you are yours.