Engine recomendation

Mwh0428

Threads
I have a snapper rear engine rider and It has a blown Tecumseh I am wondering what would be my best bet for a new/used engine as in honda b and s Kawasaki or kohler

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a snapper rear engine rider and It has a blown Tecumseh I am wondering what would be my best bet for a new/used engine as in honda b and s Kawasaki or kohler

Why not a Tecumseh like what is in it ? Tecumseh make just as good as engine as Kawasaki or Honda. I find if you install what you have taken out every thing fits better.

Mwh0428

Threads
Ok I will look for another tech.

Mwh0428

Threads
But what if build something like a mower what is the most durable engine out there and longest lasting

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
How many hours did you get out of the tecumseh? If not many hours what could have been the reason? What kind of maintainance porgram did you have with the tecumseh? Just why do you think you will get more hours out of a differant brand engine? I would say if you want to try something else try it by all means, you are the person paying the bill. Don't ask just do it.

Mwh0428

Threads
I got the snapper from my uncle I don't know how many hours are on it the motor was blown when I got it i put a 5 hp i got off the other snapper I got from my uncle on it and I pull small trailers with the snapper that had the Tecumseh but I don't want to continuously swapping the motor

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I got the snapper from my uncle I don't know how many hours are on it the motor was blown when I got it i put a 5 hp i got off the other snapper I got from my uncle on it and I pull small trailers with the snapper that had the Tecumseh but I don't want to continuously swapping the motor

Just what do you want? Raw power or longevity? How much money do you want to spend? Now for longevity I would go for one of the heavy cast iron engines Kohler magnum engines. Very heavy not much power. You want power get one of the newer overhead valve engines. Most any bran will do. You can get over 30 HP right off the shelf. You really want power go for a motorcycle engine. Now lets get to the money part. The time and money spent just to pull a small trailer why not buy a good used or new garden tractor, less money. Unless you are making a custom outfit and have skills, shop to work in with equipment, and money to play with, go for it.

Mwh0428

Threads
I think I will look for a kohler

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think I will look for a kohler
I still don't understand what you are looking for? (power or longevity)
Kohler would be a good choice. If you get one of the Kohler Flatheads K or M series you can buy high high performance parts for it. If you go all out you should get a good 40 HP out of one. I see you can also buy a new 25 HP overhead valve twin cylinder Kohler. For a good 3000 thousand dollars or so should set you up with all the power you should want. I am not so sure the drive train will stand up to all the new power so that will have to be your next project. Of course you will need tires to grab the ground with all this power.

Mwh0428

Threads
I want it to last but I don't want to go over 15 hp I don't think the drive train will hold up with any more power