echo chainsaw

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
This comes from the Stihl site.

STIHL chain saws are German-engineered and built in America.* And we羆*e the only gasoline-powered chain saw manufacturer that designs and manufactures its own bars and chains to ensure they meet our exacting standards in design and performance. Standards that have made STIHL the clear choice for professionals and homeowners alike. And have made STIHL the #1 selling brand of chain saws worldwide.
Most of STIHL chain saws and there other products are built in the United States using domestic and foreign parts and components much like everything else that you buy today.

And Stihl being the company that they are will not print on there website that they produce in china.
I dont go by what is said on a marketing site but from the horses mouth.
As far as im aware the quality pro equipment is German and usa production but the bottom end is chinese as thats how they have to compete with that market.
I wouldnt say they are no 1. Again Brand names come into it.
Originally back in the 70-80s you picked 2 kinds of saws.
Stihl made the best big saws as their background is sawmills.
Husqvarna made the best small saws as their background is in the forest.
Yes Stihl make the best saw chain and guide bars but can be expensive.
Oregon think they invented saw chain but basically bought the history.
Windsor if i remember rightly researched and developed saw chain.
A canadian called Walt Galer was the man.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
they seem pretty sturdy. i like husqvarnas, but i have heard alot of things like they are almost the same things as poulans? i wouldnt think they were the same since poulan is a lower budget company?

Electrolux was Husqvarna's parent company. Husqvarna was spun off but Electrolux is still the majority stock or stakeholder. Husqvarna Outdoor Products, HOP, bought out American Yard Products, APY. The same company manufactures both Poulan and Craftsman. Now does that Help? Sure confuses :confused2: the He** out of me. :smile:

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
they seem pretty sturdy. i like husqvarnas, but i have heard alot of things like they are almost the same things as poulans? i wouldnt think they were the same since poulan is a lower budget company?

Basically its badged engineering.
Make a product, paint it different colours, give them different names and prices.
Confuses everyone :confused2:

metz12

Threads
Basically its badged engineering.
Make a product, paint it different colours, give them different names and prices.
Confuses everyone :confused2:

so, what would YOU choose as your choice in chainsaw? i am looking to buy another one. i was thinking about the poluan 5020, but what would you recommend?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
What I would choose is not available for you too buy over there.
I would buy a chinese product Mitox which is imported by one of our distrubuters which is good hobby user to farm user.
As for pro it would be Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo,Efco.
Efco (brand) or Emak as a company make 2 stroke engines which they supply to different manufacturers like Stihl and Husqvarna.
To R&D an engine costs money so they buy a production line from a company who does.
Depends what the customer is looking for.
The reason why i dont buy poulan, mcculloch etc bottom end is by the time vat, import tax etc is put on then the price of that saw over here ends up being about $300 to $400 which is not worth it.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
And Stihl being the company that they are will not print on there website that they produce in china.
I dont go by what is said on a marketing site but from the horses mouth.
As far as im aware the quality pro equipment is German and usa production but the bottom end is chinese as thats how they have to compete with that market.
I wouldnt say they are no 1. Again Brand names come into it.
Originally back in the 70-80s you picked 2 kinds of saws.
Stihl made the best big saws as their background is sawmills.
Husqvarna made the best small saws as their background is in the forest.
Yes Stihl make the best saw chain and guide bars but can be expensive.
Oregon think they invented saw chain but basically bought the history.
Windsor if i remember rightly researched and developed saw chain.
A canadian called Walt Galer was the man.

Andreas Stihl designed and hand built the first chain saw in 1926. The saw was electric powered, and weighed in at 140 pounds. The Stihl name soon became popular, and also became synonymous with professional grade chain saws and would soon become the number one selling chain saw company in the world, a title that the company retains to this day.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This comes from the Stihl site.

STIHL chain saws are German-engineered and built in America.* And were the only gasoline-powered chain saw manufacturer that designs and manufactures its own bars and chains to ensure they meet our exacting standards in design and performance. Standards that have made STIHL the clear choice for professionals and homeowners alike. And have made STIHL the #1 selling brand of chain saws worldwide.
Most of STIHL chain saws and there other products are built in the United States using domestic and foreign parts and components much like everything else that you buy today.

I have talked to Stihl reps and been told that Stihl makes there own chain and bars. Have talked to Oregon chain reps and been told "for all practical purposed Stihl makes there own chain." What I find interesting is Stihl and Oregon had the exact same chain description in the 2010 catalog. the current catalog shows the same metal patent with the same "X-grind technology used on both chains. So in my opinion I cannot totally believe that Stihl makes there on chain.