ECH749-3016 Stuck flywheel

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
One problem is that they discontinued real MAPP gas in 2008 and the new stuff MAPP-pro is not near as hot as the original. If you ever try a oxy propane torch compare to propane or mapp torch you will never go back.

I used to repair brass & copper radiators, like 30 years ago. (right here in this same shop, as a matter of fact) We used a lot of torches on a lot of different things/ (other than radiators). They were a lot better than this mapp gas I'm using. But I rarely need anything more than mapp gas.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
E size tanks USED to cost about $ 200 Au to make back in the 60's and bottle rental was $ 55 /year
When Linde opened here to break the absolute monopoly of BOC they were the first to sell bottles which made good sense as it drastically reduced their inital capital outlay.
'However they were charging $ 300 per tank so making a nice little profit.
I bought a pair and never paid bottle rental till they closed down.
After that it was rent an Oxy set from a hire shop & swap bottles so again it was just the gas price + a small premium .
Then they started to bar tag the bottles to prevent this happening and after several idiots blew themselves to bits trying to decant Acetylene from a hire cylinder into their own cylinder the laws were relaxed allowing retailers to sell bottles and forcing the gas producers to refill them as was the case with propane for decades.

So it was off to the welding shop and buy new bottles at $ 500 a hit ( new bottles funny enough are down to $ 75 each to make locally and $ 20 from China ) so we are still being ripped off big time but OTOH most companies are charging the small users $ 175 to $ 235 a year rental.
Big users don't pay bottle rental at all.
Down here we use tanks ( although we do call them bottles ) slightly thicker than compressor tanks and they just get pressure tested every 10 years and have the valves replaced so it is a big con from start to finish .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tanks here must be hydrostatic tested every 5 years. I still think they dicked me when both my tanks failed in their first test. I think they figured i would buy or leas new ones from them. Around here Airgas bought out the local welding supply shops. They canceled all the leases and made all the little guys like me come in and get a new lease at twice as much as as the old lease. I waited till my mig gas tank was empty before i brought it in. They treated me like crap and the word "theft" was part of the conversation because i did not come in when they wanted. I dropped the tank in the parking lot and went to Indiana Oxygen and got a new tank and lease. Airgas can pound sand in my book.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Small gas users are a problem and many of us fail to understand just how much it costs to collect, test refill then return tanks.
They go to their hardwear store or petrol station with their BBQ bottles, watch the attendant refill them & think it is just that easy.
Down here, every thank is inspected then tested before being filled because the filling depot does not one to go bang on the filling line.
Some are tested while they are being filled ( water displacement method ) if they are for safe stuff like air, argon, carbon dioxide etc .
So a reasonable rental & distribution cost would be around twice the gas costs.
But in a cut throat market they have adopted the screw the little guy to subsidise the big guy marketing techniques and that is what annoys me.

Simsmets was CIG's ( BOC in local drag ) biggest gas customer and paid no rental or delivery fees at all for the 22,000 ( they counted them ) gas bottles .
All of the employees used to bring their empties in & swap them for full ones when no one was looking .
On top of that we paid about 1/2 the actual gas costs as well .

Small users paid a delivery fee, bottle rental & higher gas cost.
When I had my delivery run I used to do gas bottle swaps because CIG refused to deliver past Emu Plains so from there to Mt Victoria it was do it yourself.
And that was when they charged $ 50 for pick up & delivery.
So I charged $ 40 and was doing about 20 bottles a week.
When that contract ended I was looking at doing gas bottles full time but the regulation hoops I had to go through made it an non entity.
Funny I could drive a van full of general goods into a depot, pull out 3 or more bottles , swap them over & drive out no problems.
If I had nothing but gas bottles I had to carry 1/2 dozen different gas masks, 4 different fire extinguishers , racks that retained the bottles even if the vehicle rolled over , do a 13 week TAFE course plus hold 1/2 dozen safety certificates and get them renewed annually plus pay massive lisencing fee .
No wonder the delivery fee was $ 50.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
So far I haven't any problems with AirGas here other than they closed the local store and moving further out for me to go to about another 30 miles drive now.I now wait until I need a pair of tank refilled before going.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
What do you need to remove the flywheel for? seal leaking?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Years ago i made the mistake of buying tanks and the welding store said they didn't pass hydrostat when they expired and they drilled holes in them. Since i have a plasma cutter and a real nice mig/stick welder i don't gas weld anymore. I use it to heat things or brazing so i just need oxy/propane. The oxy tank was like $350 and since it is exchange for refill i don't have to worry about expired tanks and hydrostat testing.

Sounds very fishy to me
Like you had been had