ECH749-3016 Stuck flywheel

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If the small bolts (screws) are bending which can happen on a two bolt pull you may need to add side supports to the puller assembly. Otherwords you have engineer a more ridge setup. So far I had only one flywheel that I couldn't pull and that was on an old Briggs Opposed engine. It was one someone installed the flywheel with an impact.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Having fun yet with that tar baby? Looks like you get all the fun ones. I can't see how much room you have to work so i don't know if any of this will work. If you remove the puller is there a few thousandths end play in the crank? Can you move the flywheel like 10 to 15 thousandths? If you can place a pry bar under and just bias the flywheel up. Don't pry it doesnt help. You need to put a bolt in the crank that you can run down snug and still let flywheel move up. You want the bolt to be solid to the crank. Get a big hand sledge like 3 or 4 lb and hit the bolt like you are really pissed. You want inertia to do the work. If there is no end play in the crank this method wont work.
What kind of torch are you using to heat it up?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
At 53 ft-lb PT shouldn't be having all this problem.

And he is trying using one of those hand bottle propane it is an exercise futility. Got be using Ace/Ox torch that have enough punch to heat that big heatsink.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah propane won't get it. He needs an oxy acetylene or oxy propane rig with a rosebud. Otherwise it heats too slow. I have one of the $100 chineese torch sets which is absolutely identical to the cheap Victor set and an oxygen bottle from tractor supply and a 20lb propane tank. Not quite as hot as acetylene but gets everything i need done. Oxygen tank a little pricey but exchange refills $44 plus you don't have to worry about expired tanks.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Being a horizontal e
Having fun yet with that tar baby? Looks like you get all the fun ones. I can't see how much room you have to work so i don't know if any of this will work. If you remove the puller is there a few thousandths end play in the crank? Can you move the flywheel like 10 to 15 thousandths? If you can place a pry bar under and just bias the flywheel up. Don't pry it doesnt help. You need to put a bolt in the crank that you can run down snug and still let flywheel move up. You want the bolt to be solid to the crank. Get a big hand sledge like 3 or 4 lb and hit the bolt like you are really pissed. You want inertia to do the work. If there is no end play in the crank this method wont work.
What kind of torch are you using to heat it up?

I'm using map gas. I think that's what it's called. Been a while since I actually read the label. It's the yellow canister.
I tried the method you mentioned. Pry bar behind the edge of the crank while using a big air hammer. Ended up bending that bolt. Not enough that I couldn't easily unscrew it.
I'm gonna try the heat method once more this morning. If it doesn't work, gonna call it a winner and get it back to the customer.
Other things are starting to come in. Easier repairs. I got about 4hrs in this now, and can't charge a dime.
I don't charge if I can't repair.

I haven't made it to the shop yet, maybe when I get there, the pressure I left on the flywheel with the puller, has helped.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah propane won't get it. He needs an oxy acetylene or oxy propane rig with a rosebud. Otherwise it heats too slow. I have one of the $100 chineese torch sets which is absolutely identical to the cheap Victor set and an oxygen bottle from tractor supply and a 20lb propane tank. Not quite as hot as acetylene but gets everything i need done. Oxygen tank a little pricey but exchange refills $44 plus you don't have to worry about expired tanks.

I've never had too much problem using map gas.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never had too much problem using map gas.
One problem is that they discontinued real MAPP gas in 2008 and the new stuff MAPP-pro is not near as hot as the original. If you ever try a oxy propane torch compare to propane or mapp torch you will never go back.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No telling what those tanks costs today. Mine were $300 a piece 5 years ago (125/150 cu-ft OX and 75 cu-ft ACE) so I only got two pair here. But it still cheaper than having to rent the tanks monthly especially since I don't weld as much as I did in the past.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Years ago i made the mistake of buying tanks and the welding store said they didn't pass hydrostat when they expired and they drilled holes in them. Since i have a plasma cutter and a real nice mig/stick welder i don't gas weld anymore. I use it to heat things or brazing so i just need oxy/propane. The oxy tank was like $350 and since it is exchange for refill i don't have to worry about expired tanks and hydrostat testing.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
With the tank I got they get exchanged everytime I get refills so no problem of dictated tanks with my name on them. If they were the next size larger then it would be a problem here too.