Does anyone recommend a Kubota T2290

sivicman

Threads
My only complaint is I wish it had power steering in tight places. I love my T2290. I get a nice cut. You couldn't give me a Zero Turn.

mowing4me

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently had quite the experience with my T2290. I have an inclined lot and I was losing power going uphill. Come to find out there was a leak in the transaxle, I took it in and they fixed it under warranty and I brought it home. I mowed about 5 paths across my lot and then went to go uphill and lost power and started rolling backwards uncontrollably. If I would have braked it would have gone end over end or so I suspected, as it rolled backwards the wheels turned slightly and it rolled over. I had to do a leap of faith about halfway through the roll. I called my dealer and they have picked up my tractor to diagnose and fix. Now they need to fix body panels as well as it wasn't fixed correctly the first time and when I got it back on its wheels I observed oil coming from the engine compartment. We shall see what they come up with. Being that it is back in for the 2nd time with the same issue but more for them to fix I suggested they lemon it. We shall see what they determine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would have a serious discussion with your dealership, as they have a problem with their employees. I you are not satisfied with the answers you get, I would contact Kubota directly with your complaint, as the unit was under warranty. Having worked for a Kubota dealer, I’m sure you will get things resolved. What ever happens, I would be looking for a different dealer to work on your unit, if possible. I recommend Kubota as it makes a quality product, which you pay for, so coming in for a second claim on the same problem is something they don’t like to hear.

Klawdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
In my opinion I always recommend the Kubota T series to anyone looking for a residential tractor if they can swing the extra money over the cheaper Big Box tractors. Quality of build and longevity of the mower will pay for itself in the long run. You’re looking at a fabricated deck, Kawasaki engine, better tranny, and quality of cut which out performs the cheaper units.
I won’t deny Rivets about quality but I would not recommend getting this tractor if you have hilly terrain. I’ve had my tractor for two years and I like a lot about it but now I’m having issues with the drive belt wearing out after 25 hours of use. They tried tightening the belt up but it is just way to loose and worn as well. They are replacing the belt, but checked it on a new tractor in the lot and its belt is loose as well. I don’t think the engineers designed that drive system properly and the dealership guys who work on it agreed. It works fine on flat terrain but once you put a load on the drive belt i.e. like on a hill, the belt starts to slip on a perfectly good transaxle pulley. They have taken this issue to kubota and they are just recommending to change the belt for now. Not very happy if I need to change a belt out after every 25 hours. Kubota needs to redesign that or make a modification like more tension from the spring, but I have a feeling they won’t until they get more complaints. I’ll be posting on their website as well

mowing4me

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry this reply is so slow in getting updated. So after sending the unit back in they "repaired" the unit and returned it to me. That evening I took it out for a few passes with the same result. They picked it up again and after evaluating my lot and the unit that was sold to me determined that the T2290-42 is not well suited for inclined lots like mine. So in an effort to make things right with me, the dealership stepped me up to a 1 year old demo unit. It is a Hustler Super Z Zero turn commercial mower with a 60" deck.

The incline on the back portion of my lot is 10 degrees, so based on what the dealership told me these units are not well matched for this type of inclined lot.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A T-Series Kubota tractor can’t take a 10 degree incline? I’m sorry this is a bunch of crap. I’ve sold them for ten years and never had this problem. I’ve even tested them on my yard, over 30 degree incline and they’ve always worked fine. As I said earlier, you need to find a different dealer, this one is part of the 5% who make all others look bad.

sivicman

Threads
There is a discussion over on TractorByNet on the T2290 drive belts coming off. Personally I have not had any issues so far. The poster was saying that Kubota knows it was a defective design.

I can't see a ZTM being better for a inclined lot. I would feel better with a BX w/4WD. Dealer doesn't sound too smart.

mowing4me

Forum Newbie
Threads
The ZTR/ZTM has been working well for me. I was a little nervous at first taking it up a steeper incline I have on the property with a rear engine, but it has turned out to be very stable. If you want to rant at the dealer feel free it is the dealer in Chattanooga. TN on Rossville BLVD. Otherwise I feel as though they have supplied me with a much more expensive mowing option and I get it done in about 45 minutes vs. 1.5 hours.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you’re happy that’s what counts, but I still don’t agree with what you have been told about Kubota. A 10 degree incline is not that much for any tractor.

Klawdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you’re happy that’s what counts, but I still don’t agree with what you have been told about Kubota. A 10 degree incline is not that much for any tractor.
I agree that a 10 degree or even a 40 degree should not be that much for anything other than a ZT. I like how well built the t2290 is. I mow about 3/4 of an acre, and about a third of that ranges from 10 degree to as much as 40 in one spot. I have a different dealership then the one mentioned earlier and they all know their stuff. I like Dave in their service dept a lot. I had a John Deere that had the Tuff Torque transaxle that lasted me 15 years on an L130. I did my homework and had heard that the hydro gear was a better transaxle(which I still believe that) hence one of the reasons for getting that tractor. I just think that until they fix this loose belt issue, the buyer should beware. Just changing belts is not going to make people happy on $5000 dollar tractor. (Not to mention it is not easy to change) Im hoping that i just had a bad belt. Tractor is in the shop and they are changing it right now. Cmon Kubota, this should be an easy modification.