Does anyone have Starlink?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Be aware Dish satellites are geostationary over the southern US and starlink constellations are over the northern US. Hope you have a clear view of the northern sky. Your Dish cable is probably RG-6 coax and the starlink cable is a Cat 5e weatherproof cable with proprietary connectors.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Be aware Dish satellites are geostationary over the southern US and starlink constellations are over the northern US. Hope you have a clear view of the northern sky. Your Dish cable is probably RG-6 coax and the starlink cable is a Cat 5e weatherproof cable with proprietary connectors.

I used to app to find the clear sky, and where the Dish network equipment is mounted, I got an excellent reading.

If need be, I have these. lol
1720455854059.png

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like Amazons Kuiper internet is in the process of bringing competition to Starlink.

Dogjaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been using Starlink for about a year. Absolutely no complaints. I can have 4 TV's streaming shows at once and not even notice any slowing up. I got rid of Directv and use a few streaming services using Roku boxes. Even at $120 per month for Starlink and and chump change for a few streaming apps, It's cheaper than what I was paying for crappy internet and dish tv. When you first power it up, my dish turned straight up in the air and then tilted down and pointed at the satellite on it's own.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been using Starlink for about a year. Absolutely no complaints. I can have 4 TV's streaming shows at once and not even notice any slowing up. I got rid of Directv and use a few streaming services using Roku boxes. Even at $120 per month for Starlink and and chump change for a few streaming apps, It's cheaper than what I was paying for crappy internet and dish tv. When you first power it up, my dish turned straight up in the air and then tilted down and pointed at the satellite on it's own.

People still on Dish or Direct TV are getting ripped off. I'm paying less for all the premium ROKU channels I have, than Dish's lowest subscription price. Which doesn't have any premium, commercial free channels. Their top 200 is over $100 per month now. Plus you have the equipment rental crap. Buy the time they add everything up, it's close to $175.

One thing I noticed though, those premium streaming services are increasing ever so often. I dumped Disney/Hulu after the last episode of The Mandalorian.

I'm glad you brought up the streaming services. I just looked at all the ones I'm subscribed to, and realize I haven't watched some of them. So I'm going to cancel them for a while. Help make up the difference in the Starlink monthly charges.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
A buddy of mine had HughesNet. He was always complaining about buffering & prices. I've heard that Dish or Direct were connected with HughesNet in some way.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
People still on Dish or Direct TV are getting ripped off. I'm paying less for all the premium ROKU channels I have, than Dish's lowest subscription price. Which doesn't have any premium, commercial free channels. Their top 200 is over $100 per month now. Plus you have the equipment rental crap. Buy the time they add everything up, it's close to $175.

One thing I noticed though, those premium streaming services are increasing ever so often. I dumped Disney/Hulu after the last episode of The Mandalorian.

I'm glad you brought up the streaming services. I just looked at all the ones I'm subscribed to, and realize I haven't watched some of them. So I'm going to cancel them for a while. Help make up the difference in the Starlink monthly charges.
I hope that you will be happy with Starlink.
We used to have DSL and Dish Network. The DSL was slow and buffering was a problem. Fiber was recently available and we jumped on it. We then added Roku devices and put up a 8 bay antenna and dropped Dish. It is so nice having that extra money that we spent on Dish.
We added a Philo subscription to Roku. Philo only costs us $28 a month.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hope that you will be happy with Starlink.
We used to have DSL and Dish Network. The DSL was slow and buffering was a problem. Fiber was recently available and we jumped on it. We then added Roku devices and put up a 8 bay antenna and dropped Dish. It is so nice having that extra money that we spent on Dish.
We added a Philo subscription to Roku. Philo only costs us $28 a month.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was you paying for Dish?

$28? That's higher than anything I'm paying for a premium channel. Maybe its worth it though, I'll check it out.

davis2

Threads
I'm about fed up with my ISP. Rate increases. Paying for 15mbps and rarely even get 10.
I live 8 miles from town. About a year or so ago, they started laying fiber this way. They got about a mile out of town and just stopped. Coming from the other direction, they laid it all the way to the county line, (which is about 2 miles from me) and stopped.

I've been looking at Starlink for about a year now. It's finally available in my area. But have been putting it off because it's $120 per month. I'm sure there's taxes too. Plus there has been absolutely no one to talk to. Their customer service is all emails. I hear they respond pretty quickly. But if internet goes down, so does my email. Unless I walk outside with my phone. And even then it's shotty.

Does anyone else have Starlink?
I have starlink. It is awesome! The $120/ month is just that. When my 2 daughters and 3 grandkids come down with all their phones and video games, there are no slowdowns. It's $599 for the antenna and everything you need. BUT, make sure you get an extra length cable if you need it.

The cable from the antenna to the modem is what seems to be proprietary. They offer longer cables if you need them. Even though the customer service is through email, I have all good things to say about them. It is also portable for $30 extra per month. I recommend them highly!!

davis2

Threads
A buddy of mine had HughesNet. He was always complaining about buffering & prices. I've heard that Dish or Direct were connected with HughesNet in some way.
Hughes net is horrible! After I cancelled, they kept taking $ from my credit card. I had to contact the FCC to finally get them to stop! Had a similar problem with DirecTV years ago.