Do I need a new starter?

aaronj

Forum Newbie
Threads
Starter turns but wont engage flywheel. I have a fairly new solenoid and ignition switch and have a good ground connection. I know the battery is bad but shouldn't it still at least try to crank with a jumper? Any help would be appreciated. Oh yeah, last year the plastic bushing around the stud on the starter disintegrated. I put the pieces back in and siliconed it together never had a problem. I took the brushplate out and it seemed ok to me but i didnt really know what to look for. Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to LMF...

Remove the starter and check the spring assembly & the spiral 'guide' on the nose of the starter....

BTW... What engine is this starter on??
:smile:KennyV

aaronj

Forum Newbie
Threads
the spring assembly seems fine, when i manually lift the gear to engage the flywheel and then try to start it tries to turn but doesnt as if the engine is seized up, but the motor will turn over by hand. 19.5 twin briggs

fastback

Threads
Try spraying wd 40 on the shaft. I had a similar problem with a Kohler when I lubed it, it would work for a while. I ended out turning new bushings for it. I think what happens is the bushings wear and the rotor sticks (through magnetism) to the stator and it can't turn. There is not a great deal of clearance in there.

aaronj

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks fastback. Ill try that tomorrow. little confused on how magnetism is the problem. starter gear(plastic) is turning just not engaging flywheel

xp14629

Threads
Go to your local briggs dealer and buy the starter drive replacement kit. Generally 20.00 or so. Pull off starter and swap of the spring, shaft and gear. Should take care of the problem.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The guy manually engaged the gear in the flywheel and then tried to start and wouldn't spin engine, I would say that the starter has gotten weak and will probably need replaced. Have seen more than one starter over the years do that on the opposed twin engines.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you go to napa for the starter or parts you will save some money

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The guy manually engaged the gear in the flywheel and then tried to start and wouldn't spin engine, I would say that the starter has gotten weak and will probably need replaced. Have seen more than one starter over the years do that on the opposed twin engines.

I am going to say that is something I have never tryed is to engage the drive gear manually and then try to spin the engine. Just a thought is it possible that the starter has to spin to get its momentum up frist to spin the engine. I never got into rebulding the small mower starters other then replaceing a drive gear but have on biger ones like cars or trucks, I just replace the mower starters because I don't think you can find parts to rebuild them. Not really too much to a starter. Things to look for is shorts in feilds and armature, worn bushings or brushes.

Duffer72

Threads
Is this an over head valve engine? If so the valves may need adjustment. Mine is very touchy and that needs to be done 2- 3 times a year.