DIY tire chans

BWH

Threads
how'd you attach them together?

I borrowed a tire chain spreader/crimper tool it opens up the crimped ends connecting the crossbars to the side chain links then you remove the desired number of links for your particular tire width and re-crimp connecting the crossbar to the side chain. I did have to cut the side chain fastener connecting link and weld the last link back together after making the side chain the proper length for the diameter of the tire. If you don't have a welder you could use a repair link to reconnect the chain fastener back together with the side chain after proper length has been determined.

Sounds like a lot of work but with the tool its only about a two hour project maybe a bit longer you first time.

metz12

Threads
What ever happened to just drilling a bunch wood screws into the tire lol we had a set at my last job we would tame the tire off the wheel and drill about 50 screws through it so the .pointy side was hitting concrete like studs and then we remounted them with slime

well then i would need to get 2 sets of tires. i would like to do that but i need to get a junk set of tires. even if the bead or there is a hole in them then i can just drill holes in them and use expanding foam in them.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
well then i would need to get 2 sets of tires. i would like to do that but i need to get a junk set of tires. even if the bead or there is a hole in them then i can just drill holes in them and use expanding foam in them.

Ya we never actually needed to use them like I said letting the air out and going slower usually worked for me

de dee

Threads
So, has anybody ever made their own tire chains before? i need some bad for my craftsman but they are to dang expensive! my dad can get chain form work which would be cool, but just curious how i would make them. thanks in advance.

I was looking in tire chain supply if your dad can get links and tightening hookups good idea,. but if you have to buy parts it can cost two times the price of ready made chains,. and that would be just for the links,.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your dad must work for a nice place of employment for them to just give him free chain. Seeing you can get all this free chain if it was me I would just go to TSC and buy bolts and nuts and bolt it together. Just why would you want to use all the special chain links? You should be able cut the chain with a hack saw or cut off wheel. You should be able to make up a set of chains at a reasonable cost if the chain is free.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Being brought up on a farm there was always a lot of old worn out log chains laying around. I made a set up for a Allice Chalmers model C with these old log chains and used bolts and nut. We moved snow with this tractor and as I recall the tire chains did need repairs now and then but more from using junk chain. This was on a full size tractor with large rear tires also.

metz12

Threads
he works in maintenance at a local dye mill (kenyon industries in charlestown/richmond ri) they make 90% of the cloth for jansport backpacks and also is one of the bigger companies for making the digital camouflage that cannot be picked up by the heat sensors and whatnot. anyways, he doesnt necessarily have brand new chain in the shop, he might be able to find some lying around or in the scrap bin. if something is thrown in the scrap bin and you need it for some kind of project its free for the taking.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If its free chain and you should be able to make something up if the chain isn't too large. Just for a garden tractor tire you would want smaller size chain. Seeing this is scrap chain just what can he get you and with a little thought you should be able to make something up. Just maybe he can find you some useable bolts and nuts in this scrap also? It still sure sound like a nice place to work that they will let him take this scrap home because scrap prices are high right now.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
We are at $13.50 per 100

I just had a container dropped off. Hope to put 30.000 pound in it this week.