Deck angle to lawn?

Mbc

Threads
Oh wow I didn't know you could mow in so many directions. Around here I've only seen a a few. Like front to back side to side and diagonal.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you stripe you have dark lines and light lines. The dark lines are coming to you the lighter lines are going away from you.

So make one pass say east to west make next pass west to east next to the first pass.
Next time you mow go south to north.

Mowing putting greens we use a clock. Start out mowing 12 to 6. Next time mow 1 to 7 and so on after a few times you will have a checker board pattern and no matter where you stand and look you will see the stripes.

Always best to mow a different pattern so you don't leave ruts from mowing the same every time.

That sounds like something I would like to try out(the way you cut putting greens). Are you saying "each time you mow the green" you change the direction or you use the "clock method" during a single mow????? You did say "next time".....but I wanted to be sure I am interpreting you correctly. Is that an original idea of yours or did you pick that up from another commercial cutter? Sounds like it would indeed enhance the striping look!!!

Just mowed my yard yesterday for the first time this season(been getting a LOT of rain here in middle TN, but it had been two days since we got any). We had a bitter winter and the grass hasn't established well yet(it was mostly green onions:0)

I bought and installed the Gravely "hex striper" kit last fall but this is only the third time I've used it. When I get my yard looking just like I want it I'll post some pics!! Hope your doing well.....later.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
That sounds like something I would like to try out(the way you cut putting greens). Are you saying "each time you mow the green" you change the direction or you use the "clock method" during a single mow????? You did say "next time".....but I wanted to be sure I am interpreting you correctly. Is that an original idea of yours or did you pick that up from another commercial cutter? Sounds like it would indeed enhance the striping look!!! Just mowed my yard yesterday for the first time this season(been getting a LOT of rain here in middle TN, but it had been two days since we got any). We had a bitter winter and the grass hasn't established well yet(it was mostly green onions:0) I bought and installed the Gravely "hex striper" kit last fall but this is only the third time I've used it. When I get my yard looking just like I want it I'll post some pics!! Hope your doing well.....later.

Ha ha I am getting the same rain. I hope we don't get as many rain days as last year.

When I worked on the golf course we cut the greens every day ( bent grass ) and sometimes twice a day in early spring and late fall.

Every time we cut it was a different line. And every other cut you did a clean up pass. One pass around the outside. One day would be clockwise the next time would be counterclockwise.

I keep my Bermuda at 1/2 inch I cut every 3 or 4 days with a toro greens master.
If I was using a rotary mower I would cut every 5 to 6 days at one inch.

If you have grass that turns brown in the winter you can spray the weeds with roundup without hurting the grass.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ha ha I am getting the same rain. I hope we don't get as many rain days as last year.

When I worked on the golf course we cut the greens every day ( bent grass ) and sometimes twice a day in early spring and late fall.

Every time we cut it was a different line. And every other cut you did a clean up pass. One pass around the outside. One day would be clockwise the next time would be counterclockwise.

I keep my Bermuda at 1/2 inch I cut every 3 or 4 days with a toro greens master.
If I was using a rotary mower I would cut every 5 to 6 days at one inch.

If you have grass that turns brown in the winter you can spray the weeds with roundup without hurting the grass.

Thanks for the advice, my friend!! I'm gonna try that "clock pattern" and a few more approaches now that I've got a good striper attachment.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the advice, my friend!! I'm gonna try that "clock pattern" and a few more approaches now that I've got a good striper attachment.

Don't ever forget cutting grass is fun.

Mbc

Threads
Ok guys the grass finally grew enough to mow..... Here's how it turned out!

Attachments

• image-2878430174.jpg
    image-2878430174.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 39

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads

Not bad at all.

Do you see a difference with the deck heeled ?

Mbc

Threads
That I do....... It seems a lot more noticeable. Specially for the first cut of the year!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

That's a fine looking cut your Husqvarna gives!!! What model is that??? Is it one of the MZ line ZTR's? I've always believed Husqvarna(and Dixon ZTR's which are also made by Husqvarna) is very good bang for your buck in their homeowner models!!!

Mbc

Threads
It is an RZ 4623. R-residential Z-zero turn 46"cut 23hp. I'm really pleased with the cut....