Deck angle to lawn?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
How much lower in the back when your heeling your deck for striping?
Not sure what user Carscw has done to get the results he described. My Gravely manual gives specific measurements for "normal" pitch(front lower than back) and states 1/8". It then describes heeling the deck and eludes to setting the rear lower than the front(pointing out like previously mentioned that this gives a better cut quality but requires more engine power). It does not, however give a specific measurement so my assumption would be that this implies to follow the instructions for leveling the deck(outside East/West blade tips even(within 1/16" on both sides), then simply adjust the rear blade tip when facing North/South the same as the deck leveling instructions gave(or 1/8" lower than the front). Some mowers, as I understand it, recommend a pitch with the front blades as much as 1/4" lower so if your specific mower manual gives a setting other than 1/8" like my Gravely manual has I would use that and set the rear blade tip lower the same distance recommended by your manufacturer. It may not make a big difference but my guess would be anything more than 1/4" would probably be too much.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
How much lower in the back when your heeling your deck for striping?
Not sure what user Carscw has done to get the results he described. My Gravely manual gives specific measurements for "normal" pitch(front lower than back) and states 1/8". It then describes heeling the deck and eludes to setting the rear lower than the front(pointing out like previously mentioned that this gives a better cut quality but requires more engine power). It does not, however, give a specific measurement so my assumption would be that this implies to follow the instructions for leveling the deck(outside East/West blade tips even...within 1/16" on both sides), then simply adjust the rear blade tip when facing North/South the same as the deck leveling instructions gave(or 1/8" lower than the front). Some mowers, as I understand it, recommend a pitch with the front blades as much as 1/4" lower so if your specific mower manual gives a setting other than 1/8" like my Gravely manual has I would use that and set the rear blade tip lower the same distance recommended by your manufacturer. It may not make a big difference but my guess would be anything more than 1/4" would probably be too much.

Mbc

Threads
Not sure what user Carscw has done to get the results he described. My Gravely manual gives specific measurements for "normal" pitch(front lower than back) and states 1/8". It then describes heeling the deck and eludes to setting the rear lower than the front(pointing out like previously mentioned that this gives a better cut quality but requires more engine power). It does not, however give a specific measurement so my assumption would be that this implies to follow the instructions for leveling the deck(outside East/West blade tips even(within 1/16" on both sides), then simply adjust the rear blade tip when facing North/South the same as the deck leveling instructions gave(or 1/8" lower than the front). Some mowers, as I understand it, recommend a pitch with the front blades as much as 1/4" lower so if your specific mower manual gives a setting other than 1/8" like my Gravely manual has I would use that and set the rear blade tip lower the same distance recommended by your manufacturer. It may not make a big difference but my guess would be anything more than 1/4" would probably be too much.
Ok thanks for the info

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I run my decks level and heeled.
I like to set the back about 1/4 inch lower then the front. I feel you get a better cut and the deck will clog less in wet grass.

Mbc

Threads
I set my heel a 1/4" lower than front! I'll post the results if any? Just waiting on grass to grow.....

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I set my heel a 1/4" lower than front! I'll post the results if any? Just waiting on grass to grow.....

Works best when you discharge.
I use gator blades and discharge.

Mbc

Threads
Ok yeah I don't even have a bagger... Thnx

Mbc

Threads
In order to stripe do you have to mow in same tracks in same direction each time?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
In order to stripe do you have to mow in same tracks in same direction each time?

When you stripe you have dark lines and light lines. The dark lines are coming to you the lighter lines are going away from you.

So make one pass say east to west make next pass west to east next to the first pass.
Next time you mow go south to north.

Mowing putting greens we use a clock. Start out mowing 12 to 6. Next time mow 1 to 7 and so on after a few times you will have a checker board pattern and no matter where you stand and look you will see the stripes.

Always best to mow a different pattern so you don't leave ruts from mowing the same every time.