Deck angle to lawn?

Tseg

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just got a new Husqvarna push mower (7021p). I have both the front and rear wheels set to the middle height adjustment. I noticed this does not make the mower underside parallel to the ground, rather the deck is angled down towards the front. Is this how it should be or should I lower the rear wheels to make the deck parallel to the ground?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just got a new Husqvarna push mower (7021p). I have both the front and rear wheels set to the middle height adjustment. I noticed this does not make the mower underside parallel to the ground, rather the deck is angled down towards the front. Is this how it should be or should I lower the rear wheels to make the deck parallel to the ground?

I am unfamiliar with push mowers(but would assume they are no different), but all lawn tractors and Zero Turn mowers intentionally have the deck leveled with the front approximately 1/8 inch lower than the back. This blade tip "pitch" allows the leading front edge of the blades to actually cut the "height" of the grass and then the remaining blade to cut the grass clippings into smaller pieces. At least I "think" I have described this correctly:0)

Tseg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I was thinking it was on purpose... It looks like a bit more than 1/8 inch tilt, but close enough. I assume a tenured mower designer knows more about these things than me, but just wanted to verify.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
It is made like that on a mower to help bag or mulch along with making the grass smaller :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
All so takes less power to cut the grass.

I run mine with the back down lower than the front. Give a better cut and stripes with out putting a kit on.

But makes the engine work harder.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
All so takes less power to cut the grass.

I run mine with the back down lower than the front. Give a better cut and stripes with out putting a kit on.

But makes the engine work harder.

Carscw,
I kinda wondered if heeling the deck like that would produce stripes since the trailing edge of the spinning blades were cutting the grass(which would bend them forward like a flap/roller does). I'm still toying with the idea of trying it on my Gravely, but I'm a little concerned about the effect on the clipping discharge efficiency(right now NO PILES OF CLIPPINGS, even without a mulch kit) and potential for grass/dirt buildup to collect underneath the deck(nothing but a green stain underneath the deck right now). Both of these things(if they got worse) are more important to me than a little better quality cut and striping. So do you notice deck buildup or piles of clippings after setting the rear of your deck lower??????

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Carscw,
I kinda wondered if heeling the deck like that would produce stripes since the trailing edge of the spinning blades were cutting the grass(which would bend them forward like a flap/roller does). I'm still toying with the idea of trying it on my Gravely, but I'm a little concerned about the effect on the clipping discharge efficiency(right now NO PILES OF CLIPPINGS, even without a mulch kit) and potential for grass/dirt buildup to collect underneath the deck(nothing but a green stain underneath the deck right now). Both of these things(if they got worse) are more important to me than a little better quality cut and striping. So do you notice deck buildup or piles of clippings after setting the rear of your deck lower??????

First thing I side discharge but use gator blades.
I cut my own grass very often I can't stand to wait till it looks like it needs to be cut. So I don't have grass build up.

Now on my HUD homes the grass most times is a foot tall I got a cub cadet two weeks ago and left the deck front low for first week this week I put the back low and love it. You ever cut tall thick grass and it leaves sprigs every were and you have to go back over it or cut real slow?

With the front up and back down I can mow faster and get I nice clean cut. Piles of clippings are less and no grass under the deck.

I have found this to be the way with most mowers.

And no I do not use the cub on my own yard it gets the respect only snapper can give it

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just now got done with this yard weeds were about 10 inch cut as fast as the mower will go.

image-751221508.png

Attachments

• image-3939137001.png
    image-3939137001.png
    3 MB · Views: 58

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just now got done with this yard weeds were about 10 inch cut as fast as the mower will go.

View attachment 13807

Carscw,
That is indeed a fine-looking cut for as tall as that grass was!!! I'm convinced I need to experiment with leveling my deck with the blade pitch set to "heel my deck" and may check into some Gator blades before changing it. My first "lawn improvement project" this Spring is to get rid of the moles. They attacked our neighborhood the end of last summer like a swarm of locusts. They are EVERYWHERE(even tunneling under concrete sidewalks into enclosed flower beds. Went to Lowes last Sunday and got some insecticide to kill the grubs, some castor oil mole repellent and some poison pellets to put in the tunnels. I already have one of those spring-loaded kill-traps up in the attic that I'm gonna use too. I'm gonna get rid of them critters no matter what it takes!!!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Carscw,
That is indeed a fine-looking cut for as tall as that grass was!!! I'm convinced I need to experiment with leveling my deck with the blade pitch set to "heel my deck" and may check into some Gator blades before changing it. My first "lawn improvement project" this Spring is to get rid of the moles. They attacked our neighborhood the end of last summer like a swarm of locusts. They are EVERYWHERE(even tunneling under concrete sidewalks into enclosed flower beds. Went to Lowes last Sunday and got some insecticide to kill the grubs, some castor oil mole repellent and some poison pellets to put in the tunnels. I already have one of those spring-loaded kill-traps up in the attic that I'm gonna use too. I'm gonna get rid of them critters no matter what it takes!!!

I would change the deck pitch and keep the blades that are on it. You know how the cut with the front lower so just change the pitch then you can judge by just that.