Cylinder scratches & internal rust on new Vanguard

TomW

Forum Newbie
Threads
You should verify this, but it is my understanding that the company you are dealing with is not a Briggs dealer but a reseller of surplus engines that they have purchased as surplus from equipment manufacturers. The engines should be new but may be a few years old. That brings up a question of engine warranty because that and because if the engine is not replacing the exact same thing, an application review may not have been done by the engine manufacturer for the engine on that piece of equipment

I'llTakeTwo

Threads
I doubt that B@S test ran them all. It would be almost impossible to get them that clean inside or did you remove all traces of oil? Scratches appear very minor. Does it burn much Oil? Get your $100 and run.
It was run at the factory. Spark plugs and valve stems showed signs of combustion. Oil was in the crankcase. B&S Vanguard tech said they were run before shipping, ILEngine confirmed it.
Engine was returned, wasn't willing to pay $1100 for a "new" engine with internal rust and scoring. Maybe it would have been okay, maybe not.

I'llTakeTwo

Threads
You should verify this, but it is my understanding that the company you are dealing with is not a Briggs dealer but a reseller of surplus engines that they have purchased as surplus from equipment manufacturers. The engines should be new but may be a few years old. That brings up a question of engine warranty because that and because if the engine is not replacing the exact same thing, an application review may not have been done by the engine manufacturer for the engine on that piece of equipment
Engine warranty length is a good point. It's OBE for me now, but I may call B&S Vanguard and ask when the warranty would start on one of these engines sitting on the shelf for two years.
SEW say they're an authorized dealer. Here's their "About Us" blurb:
"Family owned since 1974, Small Engine Warehouse is a global purchaser of small gasoline engines and outdoor power equipment parts. Initially serving the needs of our local Muncie, Indiana community, our company has grown to now ship to consumers in most US states daily, as well as serving repair shops and small manufacturers. In 2019, we acquired Landscaper Pro (www.landscaperpro.com) to allow us to better serve the broader maintenance needs of mowing professionals. As an authorized dealer for the major engine brands (Briggs & Stratton, Honda, Kawasaki, and Kohler), we can provide any of the sales, support, or repair needs of our customers."

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Engine warranty length is a good point. It's OBE for me now, but I may call B&S Vanguard and ask when the warranty would start on one of these engines sitting on the shelf for two years.
SEW say they're an authorized dealer. Here's their "About Us" blurb:
"Family owned since 1974, Small Engine Warehouse is a global purchaser of small gasoline engines and outdoor power equipment parts. Initially serving the needs of our local Muncie, Indiana community, our company has grown to now ship to consumers in most US states daily, as well as serving repair shops and small manufacturers. In 2019, we acquired Landscaper Pro (www.landscaperpro.com) to allow us to better serve the broader maintenance needs of mowing professionals. As an authorized dealer for the major engine brands (Briggs & Stratton, Honda, Kawasaki, and Kohler), we can provide any of the sales, support, or repair needs of our customers."
Never had any problems with engines from SEW and being I am in OZ warranty is on me because B & S Aust only warrant engines they have distributed themselves .

As for factory testing, don't know what B & S do but the local maker down here hooks propane up to the carb air inlet then runs the engine around 45 seconds on the propane with no oil in the engine as the assembly lube is more than good enough for around 5 minutes which is why it is used .

If the engine had been sitting for several years then I give them a squirt of lubricant down the plug hole before firing them up
I also crank the engine a couple of minutes without plugs to get the oil circulating .
Some new engines have been sitting here for 5 years or more before they get sold & never had a problem with any of them .

OTOH if a customer buys one then comes back for a "warranty" repair & I see dry bore damage then I tell them to go away.
Only ever sold 42 discreet engines and of them only 3 have come back
Two if the returns admitted running them dry the third denied it till I said I will take an oil sample and sent it out for testing as it was obvious the oil had never been run so the customer had put it in after the engine nipped up.
Luckily all just required a light hone & journal polish and some one needed new rods