CV15-41562 Ticking Noise?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like a sleeved engine and the vertical marks might be caused by the sleeve to block securement design. And that pattern might be why it's using oil. Hone and new rings might take care of it.

cruzenmike

Threads
I am going off into uncharted territory here.....

Looks like a complete teardown for me. I was not really wanting to get all the way down into the bottom end of the engine, but if I am going this far I should not neglect the piston or checking the camshaft for damage. The noise that I referred to in the start of this thread sounded and appeared to be a collapsed lifter as it was just a loud ticking under the valve cover. When the engine gave out a couple of weeks back, the sound was more of a loud clanking in the crankcase. I would assume that the head and valves are all good, so I am currently only in it for a couple of gaskets and the aforementioned parts related to the head and lifters. I guess even putting a couple of hundred into this engine if I can get it running correctly is better than tossing it or paying the money for a repower.

cruzenmike

Threads
Okay, so another update. I was able to pull the lifters out and to my surprise there were not any grooves or indentations on the back side, BUT when I pulled the one lifter out there was small pieces of cast metal on it. I could see that the one cam lob was in the up position but the other was not. So I decided to try and turn the crankshaft with a wrench and AGAIN to my surprise, I found that the piston is not moving. The top side of the cam is also not moving. Oh yeah, when I turned the motor on it's back side, I heard something metal in the crankcase make some noise. So, if I am reading this correcly, I likely have a broken connecting rod, a broken camshaft and possibly collapsed lifters. Assuming that I do not need to replace the piston itself, I am looking at about $350 in parts without replacing any gaskets that need replacing from the teardown. This is also assuming that everything with the head/valves is good. I just don't know if this is beyond the point where I should be fixing it. I guess it is more just an issue of my lack of experience with this type of work and thinking that maybe I should try and find a small engine repair person to take on this project?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
May end up being easier and/or cheaper to repower it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
saw quite a few "good" used CV15's on the FleaBay

cruzenmike

Threads
Might start looking around for a used mower like yours for parts? Something like this:

I saw that one, but it is a few hours drive and not really worth it since I do not need much more than the engine. If I needed more parts I would certainly consider the drive. I did actually find a Craftsman LT1000 with what appears to be an identical motor for $200. The owner states that the motor runs smooth with no smoking or burning oil. This machine is only about an hour away. I also have a lead out on a guy who had a John Deere grave yard that might possess a replacement motor as well. This guy has everything from 105's to 345's and in between. I am still going to tear down the current engine so that I can see what went wrong. The best part of getting a used CV15S is that I can keep the nice (matching) Deere engine cover.

cruzenmike

Threads
So, I got word back from the seller about this craftsman mower and the spec is slightly different than mine

Can someone tell me what the difference between the CV15-41562 that I have and the CV15-41567 that is in his craftsman?

Thank you.

Last edited:

cruzenmike

Threads
Well I finally found an engine that will work in the LT155. A used, running engine showed up on eBay that is a direct replacement. I really hated to go this route but it was more convenient then trying to fit something "close" and possibly needing fuel system or electrical modifications. I expect to see the engine arrive in a week or so. Even though I don't usually run my mowers in the winter I look forward to getting the heart put back in the beast and firing it up on a warm winter day real soon. I will of course hang on to he old engine for swappable parts such as fuel pump, carb, starter and what not.

I am not too sure as to whether or not I will keep "Johnny" once the spring comes as I now have the means to purchase something new. We have also been looking at property to build on which could certainly change my needs.

cruzenmike

Threads
Another update on the engine. Box showed up a couple of weeks ago but have been too busy to work on getting it in the LT155. The other day I went to clean some stuff out of the garage so I figured I would pull the motor out of the box that it was shipped in and put it onto a stand and low and behold the engine is not the correct one. The seller sent me a CV13S and not a CV15S. I had peeked into the box when it arrived but never pulled it all the way out as I didn't have time. I contacted the seller and he is sending out the correct engine this week and providing a return label for the wrong one to be sent back. Its a good thing that I am not in a hurry to get this done, otherwise I think that all will work out in the end.