Cub cadet zero turn

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since this is really a discussion on safety switches, and not Cub cadet zero turn...

Why do some riding mowers have a reverse safety switch, and others don't? My first riding mower was a MTD back in the 90's, which had a reverse safety switch. I disabled it, as it was a pain. I re-enabled it before I sold it. That's the only safety switch I've ever disabled. All of the ZTR's I've seen do NOT have reverse safety switches. What's the difference?
Because some mower companies have been sued by idiots who injured others or themselves by reversing over people, todlers, hoses, electrical wires , etc etc .
All modern US mowers have reverse cut out and most ZTRs now days cut out when both lap bars are in reverse .
The courts seem to think you can legislate out stupidity .
Mowers made specifically for anywhere else in the world do not have the MIR cut outs
The Australian export models & European export models we get here do not have MIR , the US home models do .

GearHead36

Threads
Because some mower companies have been sued by idiots who injured others or themselves by reversing over people, todlers, hoses, electrical wires , etc etc .
That would explain things if ALL ZTRs had reverse safety switches, but only some do. I have two ZTRs. One is from around 2003, and one is a 2017 model. Neither have reverse safety switches.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Those OEMs equipment that don't have reverse inhibit systems are just haven't been sue by idiots and their greedy lawyers.

As said operators are the ones responsible for the safe equipment operations. But there those that simply are careless when it comes to operating anything and these safety features are reminders to pay attention.

Myself and another nearly ran over a woman on a rider several years ago. She never heard us blowing our horns and the sliding of the tires. She was wearing hearing protection as she rode the mower out onto the roadway making an u-turn while mowing. I just completely stopped and waited for her return run to stop her. She stopped and asked what I wanted. I proceeded to explain to her how close she came to being ran into by two vehicles. She was surprised that it happen but I showed her the skid marks on the roadway as proof. And I just had motorcyclist to wreck here as he answered his cell phone. That one was a ride to hospital and a destroyed motorcycle. Just can't be answering a phone while doing 55+ around a curve while on a motorcycle safely.

GearHead36

Threads
Those OEMs equipment that don't have reverse inhibit systems are just haven't been sue by idiots and their greedy lawyers.
My older ZTR is a Husqvarna. The newer one is a Cub Cadet. I can't imagine that MTD has been immune from lawsuits from idiots. The CC is a commercial unit. Maybe that matters?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My older ZTR is a Husqvarna. The newer one is a Cub Cadet. I can't imagine that MTD has been immune from lawsuits from idiots. The CC is a commercial unit. Maybe that matters?
Commercial units fall under different ANSI standards, and MTD was the company that started the mowing in reverse issue due to a MTD mower owner backing over his daughter killing her. I seem to remember was in Ohio, as well as the little girl in Florida that lost both legs. Neighbor had a Yardman Z turn that would shut off the pto in reverse. Would set back in the yard and go forward, reverse, forward, reverse, etc. Worked on a customers Troybilt that also had the shutoff the deck in reverse. That was around 2011 for the Troybilt, and the neighbor would of been early 2000's.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The landlord runs a fleet of 2000 series Cubs because it is hilly & they all have horizontal shaft engines
5 of the 6 have a MIR lock out
One does not
4 of the 6 are end of season exports to Australia to avoid tax ( we get a lot of stuff like that down here )