raisincain

Forum Newbie
Threads
Want to eliminate switch which kills motor when I get off seat

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
One of the reasons is the sue happy public and lawyers. I had one several years that tried to drag me into one of these cases. Some tech installed the one safety switch. The customer was mowing when a tree limb knocked him off his mower while mowing. The mower continued across the lawn right into the side of his wife's new car. Just because I found the problem after the mower came into my shop his lawyer tried suing me for someone else's mistake. Luckily I had documented the problem and the solution and judge throw it out as I was the repair after the fact. In that case it was a simple mistake of using the wrong safety switch by a fly by night repair shop.

I have ever since documented these bypassed safeties in my customer files as to protect myself.

Besides I do not want to responsible for someone injuries. In my area in the last 10 yrs we done had two kids injured because reverse safeties were disabled. One die and the other lost a good part of her foot.

GearHead36

Threads
Besides I do not want to responsible for someone injuries. In my area in the last 10 yrs we done had two kids injured because reverse safeties were disabled. One die and the other lost a good part of her foot.
Since this is really a discussion on safety switches, and not Cub cadet zero turn...

Why do some riding mowers have a reverse safety switch, and others don't? My first riding mower was a MTD back in the 90's, which had a reverse safety switch. I disabled it, as it was a pain. I re-enabled it before I sold it. That's the only safety switch I've ever disabled. All of the ZTR's I've seen do NOT have reverse safety switches. What's the difference?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since this is really a discussion on safety switches, and not Cub cadet zero turn...

Why do some riding mowers have a reverse safety switch, and others don't? My first riding mower was a MTD back in the 90's, which had a reverse safety switch. I disabled it, as it was a pain. I re-enabled it before I sold it. That's the only safety switch I've ever disabled. All of the ZTR's I've seen do NOT have reverse safety switches. What's the difference?
I have come across several Z-turns over the years with reverse safety switches. They are only activated when both levers are pulled into reverse. Just like the Husqvarna Z254 I worked on a couple weeks ago that required you to pull both levers into the drive position at the same time or it would kill the engine.

bkeller500

Threads

Good point GearHead36.....and why do ZT's not have a reverse safety switch at all?? Probably some out there but I have never seen one. It's certainly a less observed safety from most ZT manufacturers. Not sure what the new Electric Battery Powered units are doing.

GearHead36

Threads
Good point GearHead36.....and why do ZT's not have a reverse safety switch at all?? Probably some out there but I have never seen one. It's certainly a less observed safety from most ZT manufacturers. Not sure what the new Electric Battery Powered units are doing.
Actually, now that you mention it... I DO remember a ZTR with reverse lockout. It was a Cub Cadet steering wheel ZTR. A Z Force model, I think. You could bypass it by hitting a sequence of buttons on the control panel, though. This was documented in the manual. It wasn't some hidden feature.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Reverse safety systems are being more and more incorporate into ZTRs. With Cub Cadet there is at least two different systems. One kills the engine; unless, have it in the reverse bypass mode and the other just shuts off the PTO in full reverse and re-engages PTO as you come out of full reverse. JD got one system where you got the recycle PTO switch when the safety is activated and you not going reverse. Don't remember how Husqvarna ZTRs handle this as it been awhile since I see none of them.