Cub Cadet LTX1050 Fire?

cashman

Threads
Sorry for your loss. I filed warranty claims for four different manufacturers over a period of 25 years, Yazoo, MTD, Ariens, and Kohler. None of them ever paid a warranty claim if the word "fire" was mentioned on the claim. They were all told to file a claim against their homeowners insurance policy. I can only guess that ultimately their homeowners insurance company filed a claim against the manufacturer in question after settlement?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry for your loss. I filed warranty claims for four different manufacturers over a period of 25 years, Yazoo, MTD, Ariens, and Kohler. None of them ever paid a warranty claim if the word "fire" was mentioned on the claim. They were all told to file a claim against their homeowners insurance policy. I can only guess that ultimately their homeowners insurance company filed a claim against the manufacturer in question after settlement?

It seems to me if a factory defect caused the fire with proof and the equipment was still under warranty with claims done by the dealer why it wouldn't be covered? The key words here are factory defect not the owner lack of maintenance like a bird/ rodent nest on the muffler. I have rodent damage/repairs come into my shop often ever year. Just got done repairing the wiring harness on my own car that mice ate up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It seems to me if a factory defect caused the fire with proof and the equipment was still under warranty with claims done by the dealer why it wouldn't be covered? The key words here are factory defect not the owner lack of maintenance like a bird/ rodent nest on the muffler. I have rodent damage/repairs come into my shop often ever year. Just got done repairing the wiring harness on my own car that mice ate up.

Even if the mower was out of warrantee if a fire was caused by defect then the mower company could, should and ultimately will be liable.
If a fire is caused by a bad factory routing of a fuel line the mower company will be held liable.
This is why the mower companies are forever sending out dealer notices & recall notices to change position of fuel lines.

However every fire I have had anything to do with was 100% the fault of the owner.
No1 filling a hot mower with fuel, usually not from an authorised fuel container, usually without any filling aid ( funnel or spout ) and many while the mower was still running.
No2 is failing to keep the engine bay & deck clean. A lot of us have made a fire by rubbing a stick on another stick in a pile of dry grass or schredded bark, yet we think the belt can run submerged in dry grass without any problems.
No3 is rodents / birds nesting around the engine & muffler.
No 4 other stupidity.
The one that comes to mind was a customer whose neighbour fitted a belt that was way too small to the PTO.
This caused the PTO bearing to collapse, then the wiring to short out , igniting dry grass soaked in deisel that the owner used to degrease the mower.
The owner was 86 with poor eyesight & hearing so he did not notice the rageing fire under the mower, drove into his shed got off walked out and went inside for a cup of tea.
Luckily both neighbours had noticed this , jumped the fence and were busy saving the contents of the shed ( farm with lots of gear in there ) when the fire brigade arrived.

Despite this he still washes his mowers with deisel, although now he gets me to replace the "way too expensive special mower belts"

cashman

Threads
When a manufacturer approves and pays a warranty claim, they basically are admitting fault. They are not going to admit fault with a potential catastrophic event like a fire. If they did admit fault, then that would set the stage of the owner later on saying "well it also burned my house down". And we're talking about a warranty claim here. If the insurance company does pay for damage and determines that the manufacturer was at fault, they will go after the manufacturer through subrogation and you will probably never hear anything about it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When a manufacturer approves and pays a warranty claim, they basically are admitting fault. They are not going to admit fault with a potential catastrophic event like a fire. If they did admit fault, then that would set the stage of the owner later on saying "well it also burned my house down". And we're talking about a warranty claim here. If the insurance company does pay for damage and determines that the manufacturer was at fault, they will go after the manufacturer through subrogation and you will probably never hear anything about it.

Except the dealer notification of modifications necessary to be carried out and how much too little they will pay for it :thumbdown:

RussellTP

Threads
Sorry to hear about your mower. I always washed off my riding mower after cool down.:tractor:

hotrodpapa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well i will answer your question. The mower is cleaned and washed after every trip out. You assume like the dealer that people do not care for their equipment. There was a flame shooting out from the top of the head area. There was not flames from underneath. This was caused by a faulty design of the fuel distribution. If you work on these them you should know the fuel line runs along the top edge of the head toward the carbs.
I have purchased a John Deere and it is in fine shape 2 seasons later.
Thanks for your opinon but it aligns with dealers refusing to make good on a 3 year warranty.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Well i will answer your question. The mower is cleaned and washed after every trip out. You assume like the dealer that people do not care for their equipment. There was a flame shooting out from the top of the head area. There was not flames from underneath. This was caused by a faulty design of the fuel distribution. If you work on these them you should know the fuel line runs along the top edge of the head toward the carbs.
Thanks for your opinon but it aligns with dealers refusing to make good on a 3 year warranty.

Your a fool if you think any manufacture would warranty a fire. New Chevy car or a new 300k john deer excavator buy today burns next week that's what insurance is for.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

This has been almost a year and a haft ago and still no settlement. Sorry to hear this. This is a forum and all we can do is just make a guess as to what went wrong with many different opinions and no one knows your maintenance schedule. As your first post said you didn't understand what happen. Beleave me I am not on the dealers side on this. As a mechanic I have over 25 years working for dealers and have seen how they try to get out of making a warranty claims because they make more money if the customer pays for the repair with a lot less paper work. If you are still fighting this I sure you the best:thumbsup:

gainestruk

Threads
Did you file a claim on homeowners policy ?
I'm really sorry it is taking so long, that can be infuriating, but of course any corporation could care less how long it takes.
As a matter of fact they are most likely putting you off to see if you will just drop it.

It might be in your best interest to contact an attorney, it will cost a bit but they can fire off a demand letter and that might get things rolling.
Best of luck to you, if you would please let us know if and how you get resolution.