Export thread

Cub Cadet LTX1050 Fire?

H

hotrodpapa

Cub Cadet LTX1050 Fire?
This is a photo of my 2 year old cub cadet. I need everyone痴 help locating any other people that have had this happen to their mower. While mowing I noticed some smoke coming from the engine area and stopped to look. When I raised the cowling, the top, front of the engine was on fire. Before I could get anything to help put it out, all the plastic had caught fire and there was no putting that out. I contacted the Cub Cadet customer support and they were very nice and helpful until I heard this was NOT going to be under warranty. Seems they have never seen such a thing and said it was more than likely a bird nest under the carburetor, near the exhaust pipe. This nest must have caught fire causing a malfunction in the fuel system which then feed gas to the fire. How many birds would build a nest 8 off the ground in a piece of equipment that is used every week? It was also mentioned that I could prove otherwise, so their best guess is a new mower is less than a lawyer (great company policy). What ever happened to helping a customer in a weird circumstance?

100_7212.jpg100_7222.jpg

reynoldston

reynoldston

So you don't know what cause the fire? It looks like you were doing some real heavy duty grass cutting. I have found its up to the dealer to make a warranty claim. Maybe you might try another dealer and see what they say.

M

mechanic mark

Cub Cadet Corporate Mailing Address and Telephone Number Get all your information together, sales receipt, place of purchase & date of purchase along with owners manual & warranty information & pictures you posted & contact corporate headquarters by phone, tell them you want to talk to someone in charge & one who has authority, CEO President if necessary. Let us know how it goes, thanks. They should be delivering a new tractor to your residence at no cost to you.

H

hotrodpapa

that is who I have been talking with. I have not even asked Home Depot but went straight to Cub Cadet

B

bertsmobile1

It is not unheard of to have a fire on a mower particularly when doing heavy cuts in dry grass and I have never heard of a successful warantee claim for a burned mower, domestic or commercial.
Most originate on the deck from a build up of dried grass clippings being ignited by either the exhaust or friction from the actual belts.
Another was eventually found to be a mouse nest under the air ducting which blew out in operation, sat on top of the exhaust, started a fire which caught the carb fuel lines and the result was not too dissimilar to yours. Roasted mice were found between the cylinder fins. This customer mowed Friday, went shoping Saturday & the fire happened Sunday arvo, the little buggers can be real quick to set up home.

As a PR exercise I would have expected CC to come to the party which is very disappointing and very bad form on their part but as a warrantee clain you have just about zero chance of getting any where. Sorry if I sound cold & cruel, but mowers are tested to the nth degree for fire risk and a lot of recalls are done to reroute fuel lines, fuel filters etc to alleviate any slight possibility of the machine itself causing a fire without opertor negligence to some extent.

OTOH check your houshold insurance policy as apparently a lot do cover things like mowers.
If the claim goes through it will be conditional that a fire extinguisher be fitted to all future mowers and this is a very good idea.
I have had a deck fire start on me when cutting tussock grass but luckily enough ( and it was pure luck ) there was some garbage on the side of the road that I used to flick the burning grass out from under the mower & I stamped it out so apart from a pair of belts , a plastic belt guard and a pair of undies the damage was quite minimal.

The landlord has a similar problem. I have now fitted extinguishers to all 4 of their mowers. the tractors & farm trucks already had them but they just never thought about the mowers till the good lady went flying into the dam with smoke pouring out from under the deck, quite a sight from all accounts but I was out on call & missed it.

Good luck & very sorry to hear of your misfortune.
you might do better approaching it from their marketing department with a softly softly approach.

G

gainestruk

If you don't have any luck with Cub Cadet you can file a claim with your home owner policy.

reynoldston

reynoldston

that is who I have been talking with. I have not even asked Home Depot but went straight to Cub Cadet

Try Home Depot, who knows?

gfp55

gfp55

So you don't know what cause the fire? ((It looks like you were doing some real heavy duty grass cutting.))I have found its up to the dealer to make a warranty claim. Maybe you might try another dealer and see what they say.

It is not unheard of to have a fire on a mower particularly ((when doing heavy cuts in dry grass)) and I have never heard of a successful warantee claim for a burned mower, domestic or commercial.
Most originate on the deck from a build up of dried grass clippings being ignited by either the exhaust or friction from the actual belts.
Another was eventually found to be a mouse nest under the air ducting which blew out in operation, sat on top of the exhaust, started a fire which caught the carb fuel lines and the result was not too dissimilar to yours. Roasted mice were found between the cylinder fins. This customer mowed Friday, went shoping Saturday & the fire happened Sunday arvo, the little buggers can be real quick to set up home.

As a PR exercise I would have expected CC to come to the party which is very disappointing and very bad form on their part but as a warrantee clain you have just about zero chance of getting any where. Sorry if I sound cold & cruel, but mowers are tested to the nth degree for fire risk and a lot of recalls are done to reroute fuel lines, fuel filters etc to alleviate any slight possibility of the machine itself causing a fire without opertor negligence to some extent.

OTOH check your houshold insurance policy as apparently a lot do cover things like mowers.
If the claim goes through it will be conditional that a fire extinguisher be fitted to all future mowers and this is a very good idea.
I have had a deck fire start on me when cutting tussock grass but luckily enough ( and it was pure luck ) there was some garbage on the side of the road that I used to flick the burning grass out from under the mower & I stamped it out so apart from a pair of belts , a plastic belt guard and a pair of undies the damage was quite minimal.

The landlord has a similar problem. I have now fitted extinguishers to all 4 of their mowers. the tractors & farm trucks already had them but they just never thought about the mowers till the good lady went flying into the dam with smoke pouring out from under the deck, quite a sight from all accounts but I was out on call & missed it.

Good luck & very sorry to hear of your misfortune.
you might do better approaching it from their marketing department with a softly softly approach.

I looked at the same pictures you both looked at and I don't see the same thing as you both, (("It looks like you were doing some real heavy duty grass cutting.")) & (("when doing heavy cuts in dry grass")). I do see dry grass but, "real heavy duty grass" or even "heavy cuts" is pushing it. There are always hazards in cutting dry grass with a gas powered machine and if said machine has a build up of old dry grass around the engine, muffler, under the engine tins that is a recipe for disaster. Its always best to keep the hot parts of the machines clear of combustibles and like bertsmobile said about fire extinguishers on board. I hope you will get some help from Cub Cadet, Home Depot or a lawyer. Whatever happens if you get help or not you should get a few fire extinguishers that are rated for gas, oil, rubber, plastic, etc. and keep them onboard for the future. Good luck and I'm sorry to see your CC is a total lose.

Re: Cub Cadet LTX1050

Cub Cadet LTX1050 Fire?
This is a photo of my 2 year old cub cadet. I need everyone痴 help locating any other people that have had this happen to their mower. While mowing I noticed some smoke coming from the engine area and stopped to look. When I raised the cowling, the top, front of the engine was on fire. Before I could get anything to help put it out, all the plastic had caught fire and there was no putting that out. I contacted the Cub Cadet customer support and they were very nice and helpful until I heard this was NOT going to be under warranty. Seems they have never seen such a thing and said it was more than likely a bird nest under the carburetor, near the exhaust pipe. This nest must have caught fire causing a malfunction in the fuel system which then feed gas to the fire. How many birds would build a nest 8 off the ground in a piece of equipment that is used every week? It was also mentioned that I could prove otherwise, so their best guess is a new mower is less than a lawyer (great company policy). What ever happened to helping a customer in a weird circumstance?

View attachment 25602View attachment 25603

My mower was a cub cadet RTZ-L. I had turned it off and gone in the garage to start a weed eater when I heard a strange noise. The mower was ablaze and I was lucky it did not catch the house on fire. I don't believe cub cadet is going to admit any fault, and it may be very difficult to prove it was a manufactures defect at this juncture. The mower was purchased 6/2/2014 and burned on 1/15/2016.

B

bertsmobile1

Did you remove the engine cowling every 50 hours and clean out the accumulated debris ?
No need to answer this question we know you did not,
No body does.
Because of the way they are built ZTR build up debris around the engine worse that tractors do.
I have been training my customers to blow down the mower with compressed air or at the worst with a leaf blower with varying success.
A good deal of head gaskets and almost every sticking valve I have repaired was due to dust & debris built up around the mower.

There is very little chance that a manufacturing defect would have lasted 18 months without failure then suddenly happen without warning while the machine was turned off.
Any potential chaffing problems would have been picked up in the 5 hour, 50 hour and the 1 or 2 100 hourservices that have been done to your mower.

If you have a good home owners policy then your mower & household maintanance tools will be covered but some will not allow claims unless you can prove your mower was serviced.

C

cashman

Sorry for your loss. I filed warranty claims for four different manufacturers over a period of 25 years, Yazoo, MTD, Ariens, and Kohler. None of them ever paid a warranty claim if the word "fire" was mentioned on the claim. They were all told to file a claim against their homeowners insurance policy. I can only guess that ultimately their homeowners insurance company filed a claim against the manufacturer in question after settlement?

reynoldston

reynoldston

Sorry for your loss. I filed warranty claims for four different manufacturers over a period of 25 years, Yazoo, MTD, Ariens, and Kohler. None of them ever paid a warranty claim if the word "fire" was mentioned on the claim. They were all told to file a claim against their homeowners insurance policy. I can only guess that ultimately their homeowners insurance company filed a claim against the manufacturer in question after settlement?

It seems to me if a factory defect caused the fire with proof and the equipment was still under warranty with claims done by the dealer why it wouldn't be covered? The key words here are factory defect not the owner lack of maintenance like a bird/ rodent nest on the muffler. I have rodent damage/repairs come into my shop often ever year. Just got done repairing the wiring harness on my own car that mice ate up.

B

bertsmobile1

It seems to me if a factory defect caused the fire with proof and the equipment was still under warranty with claims done by the dealer why it wouldn't be covered? The key words here are factory defect not the owner lack of maintenance like a bird/ rodent nest on the muffler. I have rodent damage/repairs come into my shop often ever year. Just got done repairing the wiring harness on my own car that mice ate up.

Even if the mower was out of warrantee if a fire was caused by defect then the mower company could, should and ultimately will be liable.
If a fire is caused by a bad factory routing of a fuel line the mower company will be held liable.
This is why the mower companies are forever sending out dealer notices & recall notices to change position of fuel lines.

However every fire I have had anything to do with was 100% the fault of the owner.
No1 filling a hot mower with fuel, usually not from an authorised fuel container, usually without any filling aid ( funnel or spout ) and many while the mower was still running.
No2 is failing to keep the engine bay & deck clean. A lot of us have made a fire by rubbing a stick on another stick in a pile of dry grass or schredded bark, yet we think the belt can run submerged in dry grass without any problems.
No3 is rodents / birds nesting around the engine & muffler.
No 4 other stupidity.
The one that comes to mind was a customer whose neighbour fitted a belt that was way too small to the PTO.
This caused the PTO bearing to collapse, then the wiring to short out , igniting dry grass soaked in deisel that the owner used to degrease the mower.
The owner was 86 with poor eyesight & hearing so he did not notice the rageing fire under the mower, drove into his shed got off walked out and went inside for a cup of tea.
Luckily both neighbours had noticed this , jumped the fence and were busy saving the contents of the shed ( farm with lots of gear in there ) when the fire brigade arrived.

Despite this he still washes his mowers with deisel, although now he gets me to replace the "way too expensive special mower belts"

C

cashman

When a manufacturer approves and pays a warranty claim, they basically are admitting fault. They are not going to admit fault with a potential catastrophic event like a fire. If they did admit fault, then that would set the stage of the owner later on saying "well it also burned my house down". And we're talking about a warranty claim here. If the insurance company does pay for damage and determines that the manufacturer was at fault, they will go after the manufacturer through subrogation and you will probably never hear anything about it.

B

bertsmobile1

When a manufacturer approves and pays a warranty claim, they basically are admitting fault. They are not going to admit fault with a potential catastrophic event like a fire. If they did admit fault, then that would set the stage of the owner later on saying "well it also burned my house down". And we're talking about a warranty claim here. If the insurance company does pay for damage and determines that the manufacturer was at fault, they will go after the manufacturer through subrogation and you will probably never hear anything about it.

Except the dealer notification of modifications necessary to be carried out and how much too little they will pay for it :thumbdown:

R

RussellTP

Sorry to hear about your mower. I always washed off my riding mower after cool down.:tractor:

H

hotrodpapa

Well i will answer your question. The mower is cleaned and washed after every trip out. You assume like the dealer that people do not care for their equipment. There was a flame shooting out from the top of the head area. There was not flames from underneath. This was caused by a faulty design of the fuel distribution. If you work on these them you should know the fuel line runs along the top edge of the head toward the carbs.
I have purchased a John Deere and it is in fine shape 2 seasons later.
Thanks for your opinon but it aligns with dealers refusing to make good on a 3 year warranty.

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

Well i will answer your question. The mower is cleaned and washed after every trip out. You assume like the dealer that people do not care for their equipment. There was a flame shooting out from the top of the head area. There was not flames from underneath. This was caused by a faulty design of the fuel distribution. If you work on these them you should know the fuel line runs along the top edge of the head toward the carbs.
Thanks for your opinon but it aligns with dealers refusing to make good on a 3 year warranty.

Your a fool if you think any manufacture would warranty a fire. New Chevy car or a new 300k john deer excavator buy today burns next week that's what insurance is for.

reynoldston

reynoldston

This has been almost a year and a haft ago and still no settlement. Sorry to hear this. This is a forum and all we can do is just make a guess as to what went wrong with many different opinions and no one knows your maintenance schedule. As your first post said you didn't understand what happen. Beleave me I am not on the dealers side on this. As a mechanic I have over 25 years working for dealers and have seen how they try to get out of making a warranty claims because they make more money if the customer pays for the repair with a lot less paper work. If you are still fighting this I sure you the best:thumbsup:

G

gainestruk

Did you file a claim on homeowners policy ?
I'm really sorry it is taking so long, that can be infuriating, but of course any corporation could care less how long it takes.
As a matter of fact they are most likely putting you off to see if you will just drop it.

It might be in your best interest to contact an attorney, it will cost a bit but they can fire off a demand letter and that might get things rolling.
Best of luck to you, if you would please let us know if and how you get resolution.

H

hotrodpapa

We can set everyones mind at ease. As criminals and dealers know fires leave no evidence to discuss. I needed a video camera tocapture the flame shooting from the gas line which i did not have while mowing. Home owners insurance has a 1% deductable so no help there.
This is a closed matter but some like to spew insults on social media like children.
Enjoy your tractors

L

lllllLJ

Cub Cadet LTX1050 Fire?

L

lllllLJ

I own a Cub Cadet 1050 LX also and had the same thing happen. lucky enough I just pulled in front of the garage where there was a fire extinguisher next to the door to snuff it out . what happen was the rubber fuel line Right above the hot exhaust manifold and muffler had gotten over heated to many times and created a leak and ignited the fuel before I got it snuffed out it had melted the air filter box causing the plastic to drip and burn. I end up fiber glassing the air box and replacing the carburetor and throttle linkage. What a terrible design. I think this Koehler engine is still on a lot of mowers. this mower was less than a year old when it caught fire. I never contacted Cub Cadet or TSC where I bought it because I just new they would say something like that a Nest or some crap like that.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Dang, that's unfortunate.... at least you had a fire extinguisher close by.
I think
some companies make fuel line wrap to keep heat off of it, I've never used it, might look into it.

S

slomo

Terrible the mower caught fire. Glad nobody was hurt.

Like Bertsmobile1 said, remove the blower housing and clean all the dirt, oil, grass and bugs out at least yearly. If you are "mowing" wheat like this guy, more often.

Darn shame the mower is a loss. Really not a manufacturers deal anymore. People living in the sticks normally have harsh uneven turf and very tall grass. Like Jeff Foxworthy said, cut the grass and find a new car. Good luck with it sir.

slomo

S

slomo

Dang, that's unfortunate.... at least you had a fire extinguisher close by.
I think
some companies make fuel line wrap to keep heat off of it, I've never used it, might look into it.
Guess it's time to check all my clamps and fuel lines. Might as well replace them all. Here comes another Saturday project LOL.

Who would knowingly design an engine where the "rubber" fuel line runs around the muffler to the carb? A buddy of mine would call that the "dummy squad".

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Guess it' time to check all my clamps and fuel lines. Might as well replace them all. Here comes another Saturday project LOL.

Who would knowingly design an engine where the "rubber" fuel line runs around the muffler to the carb? A buddy of mine would call that the "dummy squad".

slomo
I know! RIght?

B

Bob58

Cub Cadet LTX1050 Fire?

Mine has caught on fire twice. I poured a bucket of water on it last year and managed to save it. I had to replace the fan, air cleaner cover, some wiring and the top cover. My wife was mowing today and it caught on fire again. Luckily it went out with what I hope is minimal damage. It is obviously a design flaw. Grass builds up underneath. I have NEVER had another brand of mower catch fire. This is ridiculous.
I bought the mower used in near new condition last year.

B

bertsmobile1

Not with standing that there may have been an assembly mistake on a single shift , four mowers catching fire out of 25,000 is no proof of a design flaw.
There are only 4 people who have responded to this thread with a burned mower over 4 years so it is obviously not a daily occurance
mowers catch fire usually because of a build up of debris around the muffler & / or exhaust pipe .
Mower manuals tell owners to check & clean debris from their mowers after every use,,,,, no one ( me included ) ever does.
It is becoming much more common as engines are running a lot leaner, thus a lot hotter.
So you have dry hot grass clippings being fanned by the hot breeze off the engine.
Remember starting a fire by blowing on smouldering grass when you were camping as a kid ?
I see about 5 or 6 mower fires a year, always either at the very beginning ( mouse nests ) or during a hot dry spell ( clipping build up ) .
A cheap car fire extinguisher clipped to the rear guard is a regular recommendation & I have fitted dozens of them to the mowers used by my elderly customers .
It takes near 15 minutes for a 1/4 fuel line to burn through and the smell of burning neoprene ( outer cover ) or N-Bunya ( inner tube ) rubber is very pungent and can be smelled for blocks
However the smell of burning HDPE or PVA is no where near as obvious and both can be set alight with a match where as fuel lines need a lot more heat .
As for being a design flaw , more like a cost cutting exercise.
Quality mowers like JD put vents in the top of the hood and ducting to go between it and the blower housing so the mowers cooling fan is sucking the cleanest air to blow over the engine thus limiting the possibility of debris build up on the engine.
This adds about $ 10 that no one seems to be willing to pay top the cost of the mower so it is not a regular feature on most new mowers.