Craftsman mower starting problem

jimbir

Threads
Just a quick update...Pulled the flywheel. absolutely nothing wrong with the key way in the wheel or the shaft and the key looks like new.
Jim

scoyote

Threads
Kick back is valve timing--the carb you want is Hipa 16100-zol-853 -it has the post for the choke sweep arm---Remember that when you set for choke you are moving the sweep the opposite way---so make sure the sweeparm is on the correct side of the pin or you won't be choking at all

first pull

Threads
I have a Craftsmen lawnmower model 917.370601. It’s equipped with a Honda engine model GCV 160 LAO S3A NH1 with a Kehnin #G2ZC2BH24 carburetor.

The only way I can get the thing started is by giving it a 1/2 sec. shot of starting fluid. After it starts, it surges for about 20 seconds and then settles down to continuous operation. I’ve let it run for 15 minutes. After that, I tried to restart it but wouldn’t without the shot of starter fluid.

There is no primer bulb. It has a choke with a curious mode of operation. You move the choke lever to the choke position. When you pull the brake, handle down and, before you can pull the starter rope, the choke lever begins to move to the open position. (I’ve attached a photo of the linkage below.)
View attachment 65735
When the cable from the brake handle is pulled to the right, the actuating pin is also pulled to the right until it contacts the right hand end of the slot in the choke release lever. This happens when the brake handle is pulled approximately 1/4 of it’s travel. As soon as the lever begins to move, the choke begins to open. I’ve bent the actuating pin to the left so that it just touches the left end of the slot thereby delaying the movement of the lever until the brake handle is almost at the end of its travel. I did this because I thought the choke was opening to soon and not being effective.

I’ve replaced the air filter, spark plug, drained the gas tank and carburetor bowl and refilled it 90 octane ethanol free gas. I’ve thoroughly cleaned the carburetor and arranged the gaskets per the diagram I have. None of that helped.

About the choke. I’ve even wired it closed and the engine still won’t start

I’ve been dealing with small engines for 60 years but this one’s got me stymied.

James Birke
North Tonawanda NY.
If anyone has had a similar experience, I sure would like to know how you fixed it!
Fuel shutoff switch on the carburetor

jimbir

Threads
thanks for the reply. I had the carburetor completely apart and didn't see anything like that. There is a fuel shut off valve but, that's turned on.
Jim

jimbir

Threads
Kick back is valve timing--the carb you want is Hipa 16100-zol-853 -it has the post for the choke sweep arm---Remember that when you set for choke you are moving the sweep the opposite way---so make sure the sweeparm is on the correct side of the pin or you won't be choking at all

thanks for the reply. If you go back to post number 10 on this thread, you'll see where I discovered that fact.you will also see that, after I corrected that mistake, the engine tries to start but, it kicks back with enough force to pull the starter grip out of my hand. In post #11, you'll see that I found nothing wrong with the flywheel, key, or the shaft.

first pull

Threads
Just a quick update...Pulled the flywheel. absolutely nothing wrong with the key way in the wheel or the shaft and the key looks like new.
Jim
I am sorry. I had a different honda engine confused with yours

scoyote

Threads
Flywheel key can be intact but valves out of adjustment?Adjust the valve lash 4 thou--I don't know of any other reason that the starter rope wotld snap back

first pull

Threads
Flywheel key can be intact but valves out of adjustment?Adjust the valve lash 4 thou--I don't know of any other reason that the starter rope wotld snap back
Could be a vacuum issue also

first pull

Threads
Agreed on the valve timing. Check the clearance. It has to be right on the money

jimbir

Threads
I checked the valve lash. The intake was right on at .006. The exhaust was about .012. I set it to spec, at .008. Didn't make any difference with the kickback. Does anyone when, in relation to the TDC mark on the flywheel, are the valves supposed to open and close?
Jim B.