Craftsman LT1000 Battery Drains and doesn't recharge

MechanicLane

Threads
  • / Craftsman LT1000 Battery Drains and doesn't recharge
I have a craftsman LT1000 and when I start it with a NEW battery that wasn't on a maintainer, half of the time it just turns to when the flywheel gets tighter and the starter starts squealing. I'm not sure if the alternator is worn or the voltage regulator is blown ( i can't locate it anyway), if the battery has too few cold cranking amps (160 at 0 degrees), or if there is some other problem. the lights do not come on and I will probably wire them straight to the battery anyway. maybe there is an electrical issue with the wires or something. there is 1 unplugged connector to something I can't identify as placement. I drive it somewhat short distances before shutting it off and restarting the engine. The engine model number is a brings 283H07. Thanks

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The automatic decmpressor is not working
This will be because the valve lash has become so large it is defeating the ACR or because the actual compressoor onthe cam has fallen apart .
Adjust the valve lash to 0.004" & try agin
No joy and adjust the inlet down to 0.002"
Still no joy then suspect the cam
Get back to us for firther instructions if that did not work .

MechanicLane

Threads
This will be because the valve lash has become so large it is defeating the ACR or because the actual compressoor onthe cam has fallen apart .
i am kinda scared to mess with the valves after I adjusted them on a craftsman T1600 with a briggs 19hp gold engine and the compression release got messed up, which appears too be too common on those. is it common for the compression release to get messed up on my briggs 16hp 283H07 engine or was is just the newer briggs engines that have compression release issues?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
i am kinda scared to mess with the valves after I adjusted them on a craftsman T1600 with a briggs 19hp gold engine and the compression release got messed up, which appears too be too common on those. is it common for the compression release to get messed up on my briggs 16hp 283H07 engine or was is just the newer briggs engines that have compression release issues?
The 21-31 series engines all use the same subject to fail camshaft. So it is unrelated to valve adjustment unless there is something about getting out of adjustment that causes extra stress. Don't know, but if it is any comfort I has to replace the camshaft on a 2020 Kawasaki Mule KAF700 last week due to broken compression release on the camshaft. Would still start fine but had an engine rattle.

MechanicLane

Threads
btw what do you mean by "no joy and adjust inlet down to 0.002"
The 21-31 series engines all use the same subject to fail camshaft. So it is unrelated to valve adjustment unless there is something about getting out of adjustment that causes extra stress. Don't know, but if it is any comfort I has to replace the camshaft on a 2020 Kawasaki Mule KAF700 last week due to broken compression release on the camshaft. Would still start fine but had an engine rattle.
so it isn't really common for the compression release to fail on my 283H07? it was just for the 21-31 series that had the failing cam?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
btw what do you mean by "no joy and adjust inlet down to 0.002"

so it isn't really common for the compression release to fail on my 283H07? it was just for the 21-31 series that had the failing cam?
No the 21xxxx series , the 28xxxx series and the 31xxxx series all have issues with the flyweight on the compression release breaking.

And what Bert meant was to adust the valves to .002 and try it. If it still doesn't work that would mean the compression release is indeed broken.

MechanicLane

Threads
No the 21xxxx series , the 28xxxx series and the 31xxxx series all have issues with the flyweight on the compression release breaking.

And what Bert meant was to adust the valves to .002 and try it. If it still doesn't work that would mean the compression release is indeed broken.
I’m confused, are you saying set the valves to .004 and then set it to .002? Why?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I drive it somewhat short distances before shutting it off and restarting the engine.
You need max revs 3600 and 15+ minutes of full on run time to keep a battery charged. Even then a maintainer is a great idea.

MechanicLane

Threads
You need max revs 3600 and 15+ minutes of full on run time to keep a battery charged. Even then a maintainer is a great idea.
so you think it doesnt have anything to do with the valves or compression release?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I’m confused, are you saying set the valves to .004 and then set it to .002? Why?
Because they are not saying for you to check for the ACR bump of the Intake rocker at TDC compression. Which if not there it then it doesn't matter where the intake valve is set but the standard for the intake rocker is .003 - .005 on the Intek engine and the exhaust is at .005 - .007. Intake rocker is one furthest away from the flywheel.

But charging the battery is a separate issue. The unplug wire connector may be to the stator (alternator). This engine came with either the dual circuit or tri circuit stator. If dual circuit there will a red and a black wire to the connector. Tri circuit has one wire and a voltage regulator. And voltage regulator must be grounded to the engine metal crankcase.

Last edited: