cord retracts but come back out while mowing

amatuer

Forum Newbie
Threads
i own an old kmart mower with a briggs 3.5hp motor. i just had the spring and pull cord replaced but this problem still persist. the cord retracts fine but once the motors running it comes out and makes a horrible sound anyone might know whats causing this?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
In the center of the ratchet device attached on top of the engine, there should be a round plug with a small hole in it. that needs to have some lube... ATF is the best any brand any kind... :smile:KennyV

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
may also have to remove the starter ratchet clutch assembly and polish the extended part of the crankshaft because lubing alone sometimes doesn't fix it.

jeff

Threads
And, if the above fixes do not work, you may need to replace the starter clutch assy.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
In the center of the ratchet device attached on top of the engine, there should be a round plug with a small hole in it. that needs to have some lube... ATF is the best any brand any kind... :smile:KennyV

ATF means "automatic transmission fluid"....in case you did not know that:smile:.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
ATF means "automatic transmission fluid"....in case you did not know that:smile:.

Oops... good catch, some folks may not know that.. thanks. :smile:KennyV