Export thread

cord retracts but come back out while mowing

A

amatuer

i own an old kmart mower with a briggs 3.5hp motor. i just had the spring and pull cord replaced but this problem still persist. the cord retracts fine but once the motors running it comes out and makes a horrible sound anyone might know whats causing this?

K

KennyV

In the center of the ratchet device attached on top of the engine, there should be a round plug with a small hole in it. that needs to have some lube... ATF is the best any brand any kind... :smile:KennyV

I

ILENGINE

may also have to remove the starter ratchet clutch assembly and polish the extended part of the crankshaft because lubing alone sometimes doesn't fix it.

J

jeff

And, if the above fixes do not work, you may need to replace the starter clutch assy.

Briana

Briana

Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You'll get a better response there. :thumbsup:

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

In the center of the ratchet device attached on top of the engine, there should be a round plug with a small hole in it. that needs to have some lube... ATF is the best any brand any kind... :smile:KennyV

ATF means "automatic transmission fluid"....in case you did not know that:smile:.

K

KennyV

ATF means "automatic transmission fluid"....in case you did not know that:smile:.

Oops... good catch, some folks may not know that.. thanks. :smile:KennyV