Choke Issues

Seniorcitizen, did you put the primer bulb before or after the fuel filter or would it really matter?

The gasoline goes in after the filter. Matter, yes, I wanted it to go directly into the carb throat. I'll see if I can find a picture of it. You may laugh but it be better than what Briggs has.

Can't find the pics maybe deleted. I'll try and get one later.
 
I believe there may be a picture of my set up here on the forum from a year or two or 3 or 4 ago but I have not a clue how to find it with the search system.
 
IF chokong down the motor makes no difference then you have a major carburettor problem and perhaps an air leak to boot.
This is worth fixing as it can end up with some nice big holes in the pistons.
 
IF chokong down the motor makes no difference then you have a major carburettor problem and perhaps an air leak to boot.
This is worth fixing as it can end up with some nice big holes in the pistons.

I have sure seen this happen on 2 cycle engines that are running lean, big hole in piston!!!!
 
Home made primer parts list:

1) eye dropper
1) valve stem - short automotive - cap and core ( Schrader Valve ) removed
1) 1/4" wood dowel 3/8" - 7/16" long slightly tapered on one end

Drill appropriate size hole in plastic cover so hole aligns with the carb throat below - off center slightly L to R
Pull valve stem into hole valve core/cap end down
Replace plastic filter cover
Place dowel in visible valve stem hole - tapered end first

To prime, remove dowel - lay on seat - there is a reason to place it there
Put one full eye dropper or 2 half full droppers of gasoline into hole
Replace wood dowel you laid on the seat
Put choke into full choke position
Start engine
Happy mowing

Tip: I keep an empty Echo 2 Cycle oil bottle with gas in the cup holder - eye dropper in there too in a paper towel sleeve - sanitary you know.
 
Guess I've been lucky with the Intek choke...Never looked inside the carb. A long shot...assuming the choke disc is on a shaft operated by a crank, try holding the disc while moving the crank to be sure the shaft is not broken.
 
I maybe should add. Even if the choke works as designed, prime it anyway in cold weather and save the starter. When primed plus choke they more likely to start with the first compression stroke.
 
Remove the cowle and start the engine.
Spray something around all of the joints in the manifold using a trigger spray pack.
Some like to use water, others like WD 40 doesnot really matter all you are trying to do is see if it gets sucked in to the engine. Just do not use petrol or spirits or an aerosol unless you are good at putting out fires.
Choke cables oft get a little rusty so it might be jambing before it closes the choke so take off the choke cable and work the choke by hand and see if you get the same results.

Let us know how you went so we can help you further.
 
Back
Top