Cheap Chinses Carb

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I took the carb off when I first got the engine. I cleaned it up best I could and mangled the main jet when I couldn't get it out.
Next time try to remove these nozzles just be aware the correct tool is a hollow ground straight side flat blade bit. Even then they are hard to get out if cemented in place.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I've been repairing mowers for almost 50 years...the last 20 years ive been using the aftermarket chinese carbs for briggs...either the nikki or walbro style with maybe 2 issues over 200 carbs...OEM gets 4 markups before its sold to you...briggs buys almost all ov their carbs in china now...the markups go this way...briggs arranges to buy a lot of carbs for distribution...they add a markup on top of the buying from the OEM...then sell it to the distributors who mark it up for sale to the dealers who mark it up for sale to you...4 markup from the original suppliers...ill keep buying the aftermarket and save my customers a lot of money...
There is a big difference between an aftermarket carb from a reputable supplier and the cheapest one you can find on ebay or amazon.
I have never fitted an original carb to an engine for the entire time I have been running the business
I do fit aftermarket carbs from my wholesalers and have never had the slightest problem with any of them
I have also bought carbs directly from the factory / distributers in China and never had a problem with any of them other than having to dispose of the excess when I had to order 100 . Thi is not don for a cheaper price but because the wholesalers do not stock every old carb .

OTOH I get 2 to 3 customers through my gate every month who bought the cheapest carb off ebay then found out why it was so cheap .
I had one customer who bought 3 of them from 3 "different" vendors thus spent more than a certified carb from me .
I suggested that they were all probably sold by the same person using different names .
HE checked his pay pal account & found that yes 2 of the payments went to the same account despite one carb being less cheap than the other .

jrsnofive

Threads
I bought that cheap carb. on Amazon and I am presently installing it for third time now, fuel leaked into oil as you stated, Kohler manual for the starting point on high low was way too much fuel, then of course I adjusted the needle valve to low and hoping the next time I install it works. Retired and needed one of my old machines running to cut the grass. The folks on this form are a great resource. Now I'm wondering if I have the correct carburetor for my tractor. Wish me luck.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well.........we have had a few what's the best oil threads and a couple my spark plug is better than your spark plug threads. Maybe we need a my Chinese Amazon carb is just as good as you OEM carb figh.........er.....ah....... discussion. Please check your guns and knives at the door and enjoy rhe party. ?

oldlawnguy

Threads
I bought a cheap chinesium carb for a customer last spring, at his request... He came in a few days ago. said the carb flooded and filled his crankcase.... Now, i always keep old carbs..... found his old one... or at least an identical one, told him i had i rebuild kit and i could have him running by that evening....
I always give 4 options, and the prices.... i'd say about 30% go for quality aftermaket, 20% for OEM's. and 50% for Cheap chinese carbs.
OEM carb
OEM Rebuild Kit
Quality aftermarket (stens etc.)
Aftermarket ( Amazon, best reviewed)
(y) If you are handy get an OEM rebuild kit, if not you can roll the dice on cheap carb at prob 50:50 odds. All depends if tinkering is fun for you.

Bellcrank

Threads
A couple years ago, I got a free mower with a blown engine. I bought a $150 used engine and I have been running it for the 3rd seasons now. It burns or leaks oil and if I don't use the fuel shout off when I put it away it leaks gas into the oil. I recently with your help figured out which engine I have (31C707-0154-E1).

I feel like I'm just not going to spend $135 on a carb from Briggs and Stratton on what's now an $80 engine.

someone on here said the engine was from 2004. That predates any vehicle engine that I own, it predates Facebook and Gmail.

I think I fixed the oil leak by tightening up the rocker cover, but we will see.

I hear the gas in the oil is a needle and seat issue.

I am feeling like a $20 Chinese carb is in my future.
A couple years ago, I got a free mower with a blown engine. I bought a $150 used engine and I have been running it for the 3rd seasons now. It burns or leaks oil and if I don't use the fuel shout off when I put it away it leaks gas into the oil. I recently with your help figured out which engine I have (31C707-0154-E1).

I feel like I'm just not going to spend $135 on a carb from Briggs and Stratton on what's now an $80 engine.

someone on here said the engine was from 2004. That predates any vehicle engine that I own, it predates Facebook and Gmail.

I think I fixed the oil leak by tightening up the rocker cover, but we will see.

The problem is most techs can spot a refurbished carb or defective carb from 10 foot away
Most DIY home mechanics can not .
Even worse often the photos that are used on Evilpay & Ammozone are not the actual item being sold but a generic photo
Thus you don't know it has been repaired till you get it in your hands.
Mot vendors require you to pay for the return post and the return post for the defective carb is greater than the original purchase price, so you go & order another .
I have had customers come through the gate demmanding that I fit an original carb because they have bought 2 or 3 on line and every one was defective .
By now of course they needed to borrow a chair & whip to get past the lions & tigers hiding in the 4' grass in their front yard

mmoffitt

Threads

2ball

Threads
How about testing the needle and seat to see if it is sealing. Do this with a know quality float installed. Knowing is a time saver.

I don't have a pump like that, but I blew on it with my mouth and it seemed ok!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't have a pump like that, but I blew on it with my mouth and it seemed ok!
It also needs a time test on it. Not an oral fixation quickie LOL. Something like 10-30 minutes would be nice.