Changed fuel filter, not starting - Briggs 31000 Series (Dixon SZTR30)

RZ3016

Threads
  • / Changed fuel filter, not starting - Briggs 31000 Series (Dixon SZTR30)
Hi everyone,

New to the board here. I have a 2011-ish Dixon SpeedZTR30 with a Briggs 31000 series vertical. I recently did some routine maintenance on it. Changed oil, greased all points, changed the in-line fuel filter. After doing these simple items, the engine will not fire off.

The following has been done:
1. Checked plug for spark - good.
2. Checked plug for wetness - wet only after hitting with starter fluid (still nothing - not even a sign of about to fire off)
3. Carb bowl drained a couple of times to confirm fuel making it - good.
4. All fuel lines receiving fuel - pull each after a few crank attempts.
5. Fuel filter removed and straight line installed - good.
6. Yes, fuel is in the tank.
7. It ran like a champ before pulling it in garage to service.
8. Now, not firing off. Everything is working it seems, just not starting up.

Result - no startup. I have a Briggs and also a Dixon manual...not sure what else to do after thumbing through. I spoke to a Briggs rep to no avail.

Any assistance would be great from you pros.

Last edited:

lwalper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has it got a low oil pressure cutoff? If it does, unplug it and see what happens.

RZ3016

Threads
I am not entirely sure what that is or where it may be located. The engine will spin and respond to the ignition, just not turning over completely to fire off the motor.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here's a QUICKIE list, to check things over, you can of course eliminate the most obvious ... keep us posted.

A1.PNG .... click to enlarge

RZ3016

Threads
This is a nice list. All good on it. Again, everything was perfect before I put a wrench to it as stated. I will try a new spark plug it seems. I replaced it last year and again it has worked like a champ up to when I started working on it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am not entirely sure what that is or where it may be located. The engine will spin and respond to the ignition, just not turning over completely to fire off the motor.

Please explain ?
Are you saying that the starter turns the engine then stops.
If this is the case then the decompressor is not working and the usual suspect is excessive valve lash.
Did you adjust them when you did the service ?
if not you are only doing 1/2 the job.
Need to be done every 2 to 4 seasons.

RZ3016

Threads
Thanks for asking. I did check/adjust the valves also, but the starter will turn and continue as usual with no hesitations or stopping.

Could a slightly off adjustment that spins the engine normally cause a cycling/vacuum issue getting fuel to the combustion chamber properly? It cycles fine as it did before even now though not firing off.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you haven't already tried it, squirt some fuel in the carb or down the plug hole, see if it fires, you have fuel, you have fire, timing is next, although there would be no explanation for sheared flywheel key .. ?? checked that ??

RZ3016

Threads
The carb is getting fuel. I have emptied lines to check as well as removed the solenoid to confirm full bowl - solenoid functions fine with key turn.