Changed fuel filter, not starting - Briggs 31000 Series (Dixon SZTR30)

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Changed fuel filter, not starting - Briggs 31000 Series (Dixon SZTR30)
I have this same exact series engine, I can't figure out your issue, the only thing I would do at this point is disconnect the engine harness from the mower harness, use jumper cables... positive right on to the STARTER terminal, negative cable to engine body or CLEAN spot of mower frame and Neg on Batt. squirt some fuel into the plug hole (solenoid NOT op. with harness disconnected, throttle lever wide-open) and connect POS cable to Batt. term , SHOULD rotate and fire at least a few seconds ... this isolates the the engine from the mower, (HOT-WIRE in essence) IF this doesn't work ....... you have a new "boat-anchor" !

00r0r_g8FqMzgVI8G_1200x900.jpg

RZ3016

Threads
Thanks for the suggestions. Power is good, spin off is good, starter good, fuel is good, just not sure if it is making it past the carb. The spark plug comes out wet only after spraying wth starter fluid. The carb is getting fuel, just not entirely sure it is sending to the combustion chamber...it spins and makes all the right noises, just not starting to be able to drive off.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Engine needs 3 things to run,

FUEL : you are using start fluid or gas in the cylinder ...... correct ..??

FIRE : you have spark ...... strong bluish yellow , new correctly gapped plug ..??

TIMING : have you removed the shroud and checked the flywheel keyway ..??

engine does spin freely with no hesitation .... correct ..??

no popping, belching, or attempt to fire ... correct ..??

have you tried the "hot-wire" procedure ..??

have you checked the EXHAUST port for a restriction ..??

finally I would pull off the valve cover, rotate the flywheel BY HAND and watch for proper closing of BOTH valves on the compression stroke when flywheel magnet is at or very close to the coil.

Threads
ZTR 30......... Squirt some gas in the carb and give it a whirl 1 more time...........

Something went wrong when you did your routine tune up. The plug could have went south on you all of a sudden..... Are you near my area in Louisiana ???

I have a shop here in Eunice..... Helped a few people in my area on this forum..........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
ZTR ..... that's a helluva of a great offer from Bo in Eunice, IF you are still having the issue, I'm sure Bo won't quit till he get's that eng. to sing like a canary ! It would be well worth the trip ! You guy's might even enjoy some of that MMMMmmm- GOOOOOD cajun delicacy together !! .. :thumbsup:

RZ3016

Threads
Thanks for the input. I will give it a shot in a bit. When you say to squirt fuel in the carb, where are you all referencing on the carb to actually insert the fuel? I will pick up a new plug (planned to today) and check the valve clearance once more (likely not an issue being I have spin).

Boudreaux - I am in Gonzales. Thank you for that offer. We may be able to talk soon pending.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the input. I will give it a shot in a bit. When you say to squirt fuel in the carb, where are you all referencing on the carb to actually insert the fuel? I will pick up a new plug (planned to today) and check the valve clearance once more (likely not an issue being I have spin).

Boudreaux - I am in Gonzales. Thank you for that offer. We may be able to talk soon pending.

Remove the air-filter assy., and drop about a 1/2 -3/4 of a TEAspoon worth into the intake manifold .. THROTTLE being in wide open position, if you get it to fire at all try again with 1 spoonful, lets see what you get..........

RZ3016

Threads
-double checked valve adjustments and adjusted again
-replaced spark plug, checked spark against block, good
-removed intake, fed about a teaspoon or so, no change
-while adjusting valves, I remembered the intake valve (left lower side with spring) did not move when spinning wheel by hand
-removed rocker cover, removed intake rocker, valve did not move. Upon removing retainer ring, valve pressed in normally
-pulsed the valve a few times to ensure function, reassembled...and nothing new.
-photo points to rod which when rotating wheel does not push the valve at all. Even loose now, nothing moves in or out. How to resolve?

Any ideas relating to the intake valve? Perhaps this is keeping from pulling in fuel.

UPDATE: the rod I am pointing to - I opened it up again, removed rocker, and moved the rod around lightly and at one point, noticed it slipped into a different position. I did pull the rod earlier on and must not have put it back in the proper slot. Waiting for battery to charge again to give it a shot after making this adjustment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Luffydog

Threads
Put in back in making sure you in tappet. Set valves to spec. Turn flywheel by hand and inspect while turning. also would inspect flywheel key making sure it hasn't sheared out.