Can you add an engine oil filter on some BnS engines?

Tbone0106

Threads
  • / Can you add an engine oil filter on some BnS engines?
If it has the oil filter false cover it has a gerotor oil pump than is ran off the extended end of the camshaft. But unless the engine is full pressure lube then the oil pump just pumps oil from the sump into the filter and then back into the sump via the lower crankshaft bearing.. So the lower crankshaft bearing is pressure lubed on single cylinder only, But the rest of the engine is lubed with the governor gear oil slinger.

The V twins are pressure lube to all bearings.
That's wild. Almost every single-cylinder Briggs explosion I've seen involved seizure of the connecting rod bearing (bushing), not the lower crank bearing.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Can you add an engine oil filter on some BnS engines?
That's wild. Almost every single-cylinder Briggs explosion I've seen involved seizure of the connecting rod bearing (bushing), not the lower crank bearing.
Any small engine single or twin that has a loss of lubrication will almost always take out the rod/crank bearing first. Has to do with the rotational forces and the firing on the spark plug will overcome the oil film on the crank surface without adequate oil replenishing what is lost.

Here is a wild one. I am sure you have seen push mowers sitting on the floor plan at box stores with no oil in the engine. Have you ever seen anybody walk up to one and pull the starter rope. That dry crank can actually cause aluminum transfer of the rod bearing to the crankshaft. And if somebody purchases that mower can possibly have their warranty on the engine denied due to inadequate lubrication failure, for something they had nothing to do with.