Export thread

Can you add an engine oil filter on some BnS engines?

P

Poodlehead

I have what looks like a cover on the lower left side of the engine. I was wondering if that cover can simply be unscrewed and replace with an oil filter? M/N 4076770 258E1

Thank you in advance!

I

ILENGINE

You can unscrew the cover if it is the one I think it is and then install the 690954 oil filter nipple, and then install your oil filter.

P

Poodlehead

You can unscrew the cover if it is the one I think it is and then install the 690954 oil filter nipple, and then install your oil filter.
It must be the one you think it is because it looks very unscrewable. I'll get the nipple and oil filter for next oil change and report back.

Hmmm, any idea if it's standard pipe thread? 🙃

Thank you!

P

Poodlehead

Does anyone know if the nipple size that screws into the engine is a standard size pipe threads or is it 'special' so it cost $10 for a < $2 part?

I don't mind buying it, but for $10 I'd like a kiss too, lol! TIA!

Attachments

StarTech

StarTech

Go to John Deere and price the MIU13767 Nipple. It should be around $3. Just cost a little more for your time and vehicle expense. You will need a 12mm hex bit to install it so that might be something you need to get too. Those are at your local auto parts store.

On rare occasions JD is cheaper on some parts.

T

Tbone0106

If the engine does not have an actual oil pump, you're wasting your time. The vast majority of Briggs engines don't have oil pumps; instead they have oil "impellers," or little paddles on a wheel that sit in the oil sump and just sort of splash the oil around in every direction randomly. (Most mowers don't have an oil pressure gauge for exactly this reason -- there is nothing to measure.) A filter is useless unless there is a pressurized oiling system that can force the oil through the filter.

P

Poodlehead

That makes sense! More of a 'feel good' look. And damn, I just paid and ordered the JD part for less than $5... It's a nice nipple with a hex shape on the inside to install it...

When I remove the cover, is it possible to see if there is a pump or impeller?

Thanks!

T

Tbone0106

That makes sense! More of a 'feel good' look. And damn, I just paid and ordered the JD part for less than $5... It's a nice nipple with a hex shape on the inside to install it...

Thanks!
The numbers you provided don't compute, so I can't say. If it's a single-cylinder vertical-shaft engine, it almost positively has an 'impeller' system, and not an actual pump. This is why these engines are so sensitive to oil levels, and tear themselves to pieces when the oil is just a little bit low.

I

ILENGINE

Thanks!
If the engine does not have an actual oil pump, you're wasting your time. The vast majority of Briggs engines don't have oil pumps; instead they have oil "impellers," or little paddles on a wheel that sit in the oil sump and just sort of splash the oil around in every direction randomly. (Most mowers don't have an oil pressure gauge for exactly this reason -- there is nothing to measure.) A filter is useless unless there is a pressurized oiling system that can force the oil through the filter.

If it has the oil filter false cover it has a gerotor oil pump than is ran off the extended end of the camshaft. But unless the engine is full pressure lube then the oil pump just pumps oil from the sump into the filter and then back into the sump via the lower crankshaft bearing.. So the lower crankshaft bearing is pressure lubed on single cylinder only, But the rest of the engine is lubed with the governor gear oil slinger.

The V twins are pressure lube to all bearings.

StarTech

StarTech

The numbers you provided don't compute, so I can't say. If it's a single-cylinder vertical-shaft engine, it almost positively has an 'impeller' system, and not an actual pump. This is why these engines are so sensitive to oil levels, and tear themselves to pieces when the oil is just a little bit low.
That because you got to reformat them correctly. 407677-0258-E1
1721168263901.png

P

Poodlehead

It is a V-Twin. So does this mean the oil filter will be helpful?

That because you got to reformat them correctly. 407677-0258-E1
Thanks for posting my engine number in the proper format.

Thanks all!PXL_20240716_224822921.jpgPXL_20240716_224717482.jpgScreenshot_20240716-103742.png

T

Tbone0106

If it has the oil filter false cover it has a gerotor oil pump than is ran off the extended end of the camshaft. But unless the engine is full pressure lube then the oil pump just pumps oil from the sump into the filter and then back into the sump via the lower crankshaft bearing.. So the lower crankshaft bearing is pressure lubed on single cylinder only, But the rest of the engine is lubed with the governor gear oil slinger.

That's wild. Almost every single-cylinder Briggs explosion I've seen involved seizure of the connecting rod bearing (bushing), not the lower crank bearing.

I

ILENGINE

That's wild. Almost every single-cylinder Briggs explosion I've seen involved seizure of the connecting rod bearing (bushing), not the lower crank bearing.
Any small engine single or twin that has a loss of lubrication will almost always take out the rod/crank bearing first. Has to do with the rotational forces and the firing on the spark plug will overcome the oil film on the crank surface without adequate oil replenishing what is lost.

Here is a wild one. I am sure you have seen push mowers sitting on the floor plan at box stores with no oil in the engine. Have you ever seen anybody walk up to one and pull the starter rope. That dry crank can actually cause aluminum transfer of the rod bearing to the crankshaft. And if somebody purchases that mower can possibly have their warranty on the engine denied due to inadequate lubrication failure, for something they had nothing to do with.