California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws

upupandaway

Threads
  • / California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws
... the face that Lowes (they're the Kobalt brand) likes to make things obsolete after a short time.

Have you tried getting a solder iron and replace just the batteries? That's what I did to keep my 90's drills going.
New lithium batteries are WAY less than buying a new battery pack. Also, for kicks, I tried what I saw on utube- get batteries from recycle box. All the ones I have grabbed had only 1 bad cell. One of the huge batteries I got has 20 lithium batteries of which 2 are weak.

enigma-2

Threads
  • / California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws

enigma-2

Threads
Have you tried getting a solder iron and replace just the batteries? That's what I did to keep my 90's drills going.
New lithium batteries are WAY less than buying a new battery pack. Also, for kicks, I tried what I saw on utube- get batteries from recycle box. All the ones I have grabbed had only 1 bad cell. One of the huge batteries I got has 20 lithium batteries of which 2 are weak.
I'd be leary of mix and match, being uncertain on mismatching a battery cell and getting a cell with the wrong capacity and/or impedance in relation to the rest of the cells in the pack.

If the packs software logic overheats the cell during charging, there's always the possibility of fire (or explosion).

BudLight

Threads
Container stacking was suspended for the next 90 days, because of the congestion.

This shipping and supply crisis has been going on for months. I was going to finish this post with comments regarding the intelligence of the politicians involved with the development of these issues. But there’s no reason to do so. But, enough said. This is a lawnmower forum. I’m going to shut up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We stack them 8 hight but at $ 1200 a lift it gets very expensive if they have to shift 7others to get to yours .
Not heped by poor planing & designs so there is a single lane for trucks so once they are on the wharf, no chance of changing the loading / unloading sequence.
Originally they were all going to be loaded onto trains then taken to outer urban trans shipping yards but some one under estimated the volume .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'd be leary of mix and match, being uncertain on mismatching a battery cell and getting a cell with the wrong capacity and/or impedance in relation to the rest of the cells in the pack.

If the packs software logic overheats the cell during charging, there's always the possibility of fire (or explosion).
The repacking problem comes when you get plain ended cells and not terminal tabs
The heat from soldering a Li battery can be enough to cause it to go critical.
Li batteries go critical at temperatures from 76 deg C through to 95 deg C.
At this temperature they run away and burst into fire .
Been a couple of people badly burned from this happening .
also the prime reason why you never bolt a Tesla Power wall to the side of your house
If you decide to go off grid you must use a flow cell battery which is wet so can not explode or burst into flames , requires no cooling and can be discharged 100%
But of course the reincarnation of P T Barnam has firmly implanted the name Tesla in every ones mind.
For the same reason, grid sized Li batteries are an idiot idea as they can end up using more power keeping them cool than they are storing
Molten metal and / or flow cells are the absolute best solutions but they don't have the worlds richest man spruking total BS in order to make himself even wealthier at a massive risk & cost to everyone else .
As a side note Musk donated a fleet of Teslas to the climate conference in Glasgow again to bamboozle the world leaders.
However there is only 1 charging port available and the local grid can not handle the amount of power needed to recharge all of them overnight so thay are bringing in 200 diesel generator powered recharging stations to handle the load
Smoke & mirrors ?

shurguywutt

Threads
As a side note Musk donated a fleet of Teslas to the climate conference in Glasgow again to bamboozle the world leaders.
However there is only 1 charging port available and the local grid can not handle the amount of power needed to recharge all of them overnight so thay are bringing in 200 diesel generator powered recharging stations to handle the load
Smoke & mirrors ?

Yes.

upupandaway

Threads

If you want to be that carefull, the batteries are labeled but hey, to each his own.

gamma_ray

Threads
Want to pizz off a tree hugger? Explain to them how the electricity to charge their oh so environmentally friendly battery powered lawn mower is generated by burning some type of fossil fuel. The main power plant feeding LA is a huge coal fired plant in Delta Utah.
Yeah, I read they're planning on shutting down two Nuclear plants (stupid) and another one, I cannot remember what flavor fossil fuel that powers it.

However, they dont have replacement power plants for those they're shutting down, so they will be hurting more! All in the name of "going green".

BTW, a plant that uses wood, as in cutting forest trees down, to heat the steam boilers qualifies as a "renewable energy" powered plant. Does that make any sense? Of course not, but it's all a shell game to appease those who think it's going to be better.