California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws
They can be repaired or refurbished...
Depends upon the construction .
You can replace individual dead cells in a battery pack just the same as we did with Ni-Cd or Ni-Metal hydride battery packs .
However you can not recycle the individual cells on an industrical scale and when you do it is not economic to do except in a third world country using child or slave labour .
They have to be cut very carefully so the separation membrane is not damaged or the battery can & will burst into flame and once burning can not be put out.
The fumes that come off are very toxic so no factory isn the USA will be able to do it because they will not be able to afford the public liability & fire insurance .
SO like old tyres they will be warehoused in vast numbers then there will be some sort of unfortunate accident & they will all burst into flame for months .

Some EV batteries can be dissassembled because EU laws make the original manufacturer responsible for the end of life recycling of what they make .

Almost nothing that we recycle is economic to do so with the sole exception of the lead acid battery which is over 90% recycled .
The only bit than can not be economically reused is the acid and that is only because the world bumps millions of gallons of waste sulphuric acids into the oceans every year that are by products mostly of rubber manufacture and conversions of sulphide ores .
Decades ago there was a movement that quite rightly wanted a tax put on all virgin materials to make their price the same as recycled materials .
This was not for environmental reasons but simply because the first world countries were being burried in their own trash .
But the ultimate answer was again to compact it into very dense cubes & dump it in the deep ocean trenches .

jJust about anything that is made can be unmade or at least broken down enough to be used in some thing else .
The problem is that costs up to 100 times more than making it from virgin materials and we have all been brain washed into believing we have the God given rights to get everything we could possibly want and it will get cheaper all the time .

Now EV batteries will have to be recycled because if every current IC engine is replaced with an EV we would need 2 times the known amount of copper in the planet to make the engines assuming that 100% of all copper used is recovered .
We will need 10 times the known amount of Cobalt in the planet .
Nickel is not so much of a problem if we can work out how to tap lava from some volcanoes to extract the Ni . we know it is there we just do not know how to recover it .
And then there are the rare earths like Niobium , this is one of the things driving President Putin to erradicate the Ukrane as the Donbass region has confirmed Niobium deposits that he wants to get control over having failed to get control over the deposits in Afghanistan that it is looking like China will ultimately get control over .
There is always an economic reason behind every time the West mounts military actions to "protect the locals "

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws
this 1999 tire fire burned for a month. The agency I worked for had a line of tanker trucks waiting to pick up the pyrolytic oil that flows out of a tire when it is heated in a fire. The oil is so bad it makes a superfund site when it gets spilled like that. The land owner collected most of NorCal's used tires starting about 1950 until he had a pile half a mile by half a mile and hundreds of feet thick when lightning hit it in 1999.

rawImage.jpg

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep
All about shifting money from the pockets of the poor into the pockets of the rich
Either through direct purchases or via taxpayers money handed out to the rich for not doing what they were supposed to do .

And no one wants to look back past yesterday for the cause let alone 5 Presidents ago or even further back .
And no one wants to pay the real price of anything .

As a school child I was terrorised about being hit with a Nuke that will end life on the planet.

In reality we will die from being smothered in our own waste .
The unfortunate bit is I see no chance of a recovery , it is just matter of time till we exterminate ourselves .
Hopefully I will be long gone before that happens but I seriously doubt a child born today will have a habitual planet by the time they get to my age.
And even worse it is all driven by greed and that goes from my greed to the immensly greedy like Bezos , Musk & Putin.

KM Richards

Threads
I was terrorised about being hit with a Nuke that will end life on the planet

That's why it's good to make reservations on where one will be spending eternity.

That way, if a nuke hits, it's no biggie cause going to where Jesus is at is far better than staying here even if there were no nukes and things were really good here.

No matter how we slice it, we all gonna die someday... nuke or no nukes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That's why it's good to make reservations on where one will be spending eternity.

That way, if a nuke hits, it's no biggie cause going to where Jesus is at is far better than staying here even if there were no nukes and things were really good here.

As you seem determined to preach
When you can find any written book that proports to be the "Word of some sort of a God " from any religion that actually has the human reproductive system correctly described and does not call semen the "seed" then you have a 1 in 1,000,000,000 chance of convincing me that there is a God of some sort and all religions are not an invention of man in order for a small number of selected individuals to control the masses without the need for armies or police and the incorrect descriptions were not due to the authors never having seen an ovary and if they did they would not have been able to see human eggs because they are too small
And that goes for any religion with a written text .
Then you have to convince me that the entity that made the entire universe failed to tell his greatest creation to WASH THEIR BLOODY HANDS
You won't because the men who invented religions did not know about things smaller than they could see like bacteria
And I have thousands of factually incorrect descriptions from supposedly the words of the creator faithfully & accurately transcribed by one of their "chosen few " .
All of which relate to things that were unknown at the time , right up to the earth being the center of the universe & everything else revolving around it .
And for your information I have read multiple translations of just about every religious text in existance .

First rule of detecting a con job is anything that requires you to have blind faith that it is true without any way of proving it other than testimonials that can not be verified .
A bible / Tora / Koran text is no different to the last you tube scam add telling me that tinnitus can be cured by buying their pills and the entire medical system is trying to stop them telling me this secret cure .

Like all good cons, every religion starts with a fact that was known to be true in the days when it originated . although many now have been proven wrong as science advances .
Then it finds some one or some thing to blame for the adverse situation the population found themselves ( think President Trump blaiming Mexicans for the lawlessness in the USA for example ) and finally shows the population a cure for their maladies ( the magic elixar that will cure my tinnitus ) or the cruel overlords .
And finally to allow commerce without any worries about the consequences so when a population polluted or over consumed them selves out of existance it was the punishment of the God for the population not following his ( always a he ) word to the letter , except the text is of course not litterial so the "chosen few " can direct you to follow the right rules while reinterpreting the parribles to show you the actual meaning .

Really ?

the rabies who did no actual work to support themselves other than collecting the taxes from the population made a whole lot of predictions in the original text which we like to call the "old Testiment " and when the predictions did not come to pass had to fudge things so a break away group wrote a "new testiment" that was open ended in time frame so could never run out of time for the "return of the Lord ".
Lots of other religions have the same problem, a close study of the Book of Mormon will find they either got the maths wrong or everything is running out of time .
One of the founding fathers of the Church of Latter Day Saints in Australia realized that the whole foundation of the church was factually wrong so he became a hermit and spent the rest of his days on a farm devoid of any machines till he died in 1992 . His unfinished manuscript is ready for publication and should be out in a few years when the court cases are settled .
The Church is claiming intellectual copyrights as it was based on their published material and the case has been in the courts for a very long time as the church is trying to bankrupt the manuscript owner to prevent its publication.

I was at a public lecture on the translation of some of the Dead Sea Scrolls which can be read such as to prove the Jewish religion is all BS .
The Israeli government tried to prevent any work on these 3 scrolls for fear of the outcome .
A very interesting lecture as she went through it word by word noting like any good co job almost every word could have several meanings many of them totally contradictory .
And these "weasal " words were deliberately chosen as the authors could have used words that were unambigious but the deliberately did not do that .

And FWIW go back 3 generations & I have Anglican, Jewish , Catholic , Maori , Hindu & Islamic heritage & have relations who follow each one of them .
In my youth I had Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Catholic & Presperterian friends and in every case the relevent religious authority figures tried desperately to break up this circle demanding that we all stay within our faith circles lest we rot in hell and condem our families souls to eternal damnation.
The brothers called my mother "The hoar" and called my siblings "the bastard children of the hoar" right up until the day she died because my father was a catholic & he married mum in an anglican church while the nuns from the convent on the next corner were forbidden from entering the property or speaking to any of my family on threat of being turfed out and these were retired nuns from missionaries in their 70's & 80's with no earthly posessions.
I had a grand aunt who survived the holocost but lived in fear & terror of the rabbis so much she had fitted black out curtains to her house so we could come in without being seen because the church had excommunicated my grandmother because she married a non Jew and her children were brought up Anglican .

so don't try & peddle you brain dead clap trap to me .
If you want to believe in fairy tales and you get comfort from doing that then do so with my blessings but don't preach BS to me as I have a mind and know how to use it .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are welcome to believe what ever you wish
I have no intention of trying to change your mind or beliefs
Steven Dawkins got it wrong because we have found there is a "god" gene .
It is on the 6th chromosome and depending upon how active it is that will determine how gulliable the person is and how much they will require a meaning and how easily they can be led.
This applies to people who get taken in by just about every scam under the sun , those who seek really deep love but can never find it , the deeply religious & the idology driven .
For the people where this gene is not active, we become the skeptics , who do not form deep attachments , have no problems seeing a scam from 100 yards away and can accept that things are as things are and there does not need to be any meaning to life and definately no after life so realize that people are just another animal on the planet who have managed to become the apex preditors and are now systematically destroying the planet for their own personal greed .
And of course are the only species that are destroying the planet and wiping out other species at a rate of knots because we don't like them or want their real estate
So if you like a my ying to your yang .

If you keep on insisting putting references to your person religious idoligy into the forum then I will always counter it because sneaking in idology where it should not be is a typical trick used by con artists .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads

I have seen the light. For those of you who doubt, like Thomas, I don't understand it but it is real.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like a case of "you do you and i will do me" situation going on. Everyone has their views on politics and religion. I doubt that anyone will change anyone's mind debating it on a lawnmower repair forum.
Now a good knock down drag out senseless internet fight over over motor oil is a different matter.