Briggs& Stratton engine will not turn over

davis2

Threads
This might not be a good example, but suppose there's something wrong with part A whatever that is. So the first time around part A is the problem because it starts up instantly. It runs incredible for 5 seconds and then there's hunting and surging and then later on part A is the problem because the flywheel keeps turning there's spark and nothing happens. This is not possible I don't think?
You have to resolve the fuel supply issue. Start at the carburetor. Oh,BTW, did you get the proper head installed?

dwzkd

Threads
Try setting up your marks on that you made on the flywheel fan and coil... see if the magnet is by the starter. I would assume it is more likely something with the head or fuel at this point. did you happen to see if the push rods from the 14.5 hp engine were same length as the 19hp? Are the valve sizes the same between the two heads? Did you make sure to put the aluminum (silver) push rod on the intake? and the steel one on the exhaust?

It will take a minute to start from a dry bowl too...

JimP2014

Threads
Try setting up your marks on that you made on the flywheel fan and coil... see if the magnet is by the starter. I would assume it is more likely something with the head or fuel at this point. did you happen to see if the push rods from the 14.5 hp engine were same length as the 19hp? Are the valve sizes the same between the two heads? Did you make sure to put the aluminum (silver) push rod on the intake? and the steel one on the exhaust?

It will take a minute to start from a dry bowl too...
You know I was thinking about that yesterday to grab the pushrods from the other older machine and I did not use those push rods. I used the pushrods that came with the 19.5 horsepower Briggs& Stratton OHV engine.

Jim

Mark H_NO

Threads
The spark tester showing spark does not verify timing. Have you checked the flywheel key? You were talking about doing it, but I can't recall if it happened again.

JimP2014

Threads
The spark tester showing spark does not verify timing. Have you checked the flywheel key? You were talking about doing it, but I can't recall if it happened again.
Hi Mark, I'm thinking about checking the flywheel key again. I just want to make sure that since I have spark the somehow the new cylinder head that I'm using, which is actually a very old cylinder head doesn't have an issue with it and fuel is getting near the spark plug. But thanks for asking about then. I definitely will keep it in mind.

Jim

JimP2014

Threads
Hi Mark, I'm thinking about checking the flywheel key again. I just want to make sure that since I have spark the somehow the new cylinder head that I'm using, which is actually a very old cylinder head doesn't have an issue with it and fuel is getting near the spark plug. But thanks for asking about then. I definitely will keep it in mind.

Jim
Mark Mark, so just so you have the most current information, I got rid of the cylinder head that came with a 19.5 horsepower OHV engine. I blew the spark plug out twice. I don't want to have to rethread it. I got a problem with the threads on one of the valve cover threads also. So I happen to have a 14.5 horsepower ohv engine. The cylinder head matches up except it doesn't have extra material around the exhaust area but it seems everything else lines up. In fact, I was using that tonight and the ignition turns the flywheel but the flywheel does nothing except spin so that's where that's at. I got to check on the pushrods that are from the 19.5 horsepower OHV engine to make sure they're the same length as the pushrods that I'm not using from the 14.5 horsepower engine. And I definitely had spark using the spark plug tester. So tomorrow I got to figure out why the flywheel is rotating and there is no engine starting. I actually made a video of what happened tonight.

Jim

davis2

Threads
Mark Mark, so just so you have the most current information, I got rid of the cylinder head that came with a 19.5 horsepower OHV engine. I blew the spark plug out twice. I don't want to have to rethread it. I got a problem with the threads on one of the valve cover threads also. So I happen to have a 14.5 horsepower ohv engine. The cylinder head matches up except it doesn't have extra material around the exhaust area but it seems everything else lines up. In fact, I was using that tonight and the ignition turns the flywheel but the flywheel does nothing except spin so that's where that's at. I got to check on the pushrods that are from the 19.5 horsepower OHV engine to make sure they're the same length as the pushrods that I'm not using from the 14.5 horsepower engine. And I definitely had spark using the spark plug tester. So tomorrow I got to figure out why the flywheel is rotating and there is no engine starting. I actually made a video of what happened tonight.

Jim
Jim, you should really consider a new to you used engine...

JimP2014

Threads
Jim, you should really consider a new to you used engine...
Davis I hear what you're saying. The way I'm thinking about the problem is if there's something internal to the short block that absolutely is the problem then move on to another engine but I don't know that right now for sure. If the problem is one of the components you slap onto the short block and I just don't have that in the right working order then that's different.

Jim

Mark H_NO

Threads
Jim, check that stuff, and check the flywheel key. That can be a cause of the flywheel turning, spark tester showing spark, and engine does not run.

JimP2014

Threads
Jim, check that stuff, and check the flywheel key. That can be a cause of the flywheel turning, spark tester showing spark, and engine does not run.
Mark, I hear you. It wouldn't surprise me if I destroyed the keyway again because the symptoms are exactly the same as the last time I destroyed the keyway.

Jim