Briggs& Stratton engine will not turn over

JimP2014

Threads
In the last two weeks I've done many things, but in the meantime the current problem is this definitely getting spark to the spark plug after spraying carburetor cleaner into the intake while turning the key. The only thing that happens is backfire through the carburetor or popping the engine refuses to start. The only thing I can think of is the spark plug is definitely working, so I'm wondering if there's some kill switch that allows for the flywheel to rotate where it seems everything will start and engage flywheel and the engine. But at the very last second a kill switch shuts off everything and prevents it from starting. So in other words, I'm looking at carburetor problem but maybe I should be looking for some kill switch that's shorting out everything. It's as if all systems are go but at the last second this kill switch is preventing the engine from starting I wonder if anyone is familiar with this situation before. Also, the fuel solenoid definitely clicks when you turn the key but the carburetor cleaner going into the intake. Even if there's a kill switch situation on going, I would think the engine would start up for a couple seconds. I don't think a kill switch, even if active could prevent the engine from starting for at least a second or two, but that's what it seems like is happening.

Jim

JimP2014

Threads
I was hoping to delete this post but I have no clue how to. In any case, I just bought a spark plug tester and I'm not positive if I'm getting spark to the plug. However, testing in a different way shows there's spark to the spark plug, so I got to figure this out is a spark plug getting spark when the spark plug is inside the engine. And like I said, I don't know how to delete my original post

Joed756

Threads
Do you still have a problem or not?

JimP2014

Threads
The problem is, for whatever reason the engine does not turn over and I thought I had good spark from the spark plug. So then I'm thinking if that's the case then something to do with the carburetor or then I was thinking somehow the kill switch is doing something to prevent the engine from turning over. However, I just used a spark plug tester and from what I can tell there's no spark going to the spark plug so there's still definitely a problem and before that the problem was the engine was running at high speed and then low speed and high speed. It was just impossible for it to idle. I can say I've looked over many things and I'm still thinking about the safety mechanisms. But putting that aside the ignition coil is something I looked at. I took off the flywheel. The flywheel key looked good but I replaced it anyways. The valves have the right clearance. The push rods are connected to the rocker arms. The fuel solenoid definitely works, but even if it didn't spraying carburetor cleaner into the intake for the last few weeks would allow the motor to start up instantly except it was running wild. I did not modify the governor setting. As far as I can tell, the governor setting was correct. The linkage the carburetor seem okay including the little wire, but I guess generally speaking the question is could put a riding mower show all indications of it starting, but then there's a kill switch that prevents the engine from turning over. Meaning everything looks good and it should start but it doesn't because of some kill switch?

Thanks,
Jim

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So we know which briggs engine you have, please provide your model information.
It will be stamped on a metal shroud above the plug, or above the muffler or on the valve cover.

JimP2014

Threads
I did see this message. I'm having trouble resizing the image that I need to provide to you. Be back when I can figure it out

Lt2 000. Model number 917. 28970 this is the best I can do right now

JimP2014

Threads
I did see this message. I'm having trouble resizing the image that I need to provide to you. Be back when I can figure it out

Lt2 000. Model number 917. 28970 this is the best I can do right now
So here's where it's at as of 7:14 p.m. this is like day 15. I was able to flip the ignition coil upside down and produce spark in the spark plug tester and then removing the spark plug tester and starting the engine, it still will not start the flywheel spins there's popping in the intake of the carburetor. Maybe there's a compression issue? I'm not sure on that one. I don't have a leak down tester or any of that other stuff I don't know if there's some other way to test compression other than spitting it manually and it will have one point in the rotation where it's pretty tough to spend the flywheel and that is where the spark plug is still inside the engine. I took a long screwdriver earlier today and I got to the point where the cylinder was at top dead center and then I rotated it further and I was able to press the The screwdriver into the cylinder. It seems like there is no broken connecting. Rod is what I'm trying to say but I'm not positive. It might be leaking oil. This would be bottom part of the short block maybe but it could be from when I removed the valve cover and there's still oil around that area but it doesn't start. Seems like it should even with the carburetor cleaner sprayed into the intake.

JF

JimP2014

Threads
I apologize to everyone who has viewed these posts because all the information I provided kept changing from my perspective because I couldn't figure out what's going on. But here's what the whole thing comes down to and I'm pretty sure of this. I'm absolutely getting spark if the spark plug using the spark plug tester that is consistent. It is the same for the last 1 and 1/2 days. I never realized the ignition coil had an orientation but it does. But the point is when I turn the key the key does trigger the starter. As long as the riding mower is in park position, I removed the safety switch underneath the seat a couple years ago and it has been fine but I can say the problem right now is I'm definitely getting spark to the spark plug and even with carburetor cleaner sprayed into the intake, the engine refuses to even start for a split second which has never been the case. So the question is, can the electronic fuel solenoid not only defeat regular gas going into the carburetor but can it also defeat carburetor cleaner? This is really the question.

Or any other scenario where you definitely have spark but the engine refuses to turn over. Would this be some sort of safety device or is it simply take a look at what's going on in the carburetor?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this, I appreciate it very much.

Jim

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The fuel solenoid only stops fuel flow from the carb bowl into the jets It will not prevent ignition from a fuel that is poured into the intake. Safety switches would prevent spark. So if you have spark that is not the issue. So that leaves compression or lack thereof and spark timing, which could be a flywheel key issue.

And the actually model type and code from the engine would really help us to determine what engine you are attempting to work on.

JimP2014

Threads
The fuel solenoid only stops fuel flow from the carb bowl into the jets It will not prevent ignition from a fuel that is poured into the intake. Safety switches would prevent spark. So if you have spark that is not the issue. So that leaves compression or lack thereof and spark timing, which could be a flywheel key issue.

And the actually model type and code from the engine would really help us to determine what engine you are attempting to work on.

Thank you very much for your assessment. That makes a lot of sense, especially the part about. Well, if the spark is at the spark plug then you can just rest assure it has nothing to do with all that safety stuff that is key. But beyond that, what you mentioned about compression and the other stuff is what I suppose I need to look at. I can only say that maybe 10 days ago there was an awful banging going on every time there was a rotation of the flywheel and I wonder if eventually that broke something don't know. But again I appreciate your help.

Jim