BRIGGS PARTS HELP!!!!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
if you can tell us whattractor model number this came off of there will be info on the engine hp rating which can help identify the model 42 or 44 or 46...
Only one problem there as some Craftsman mowers that used the 420000 series even with same type numbers were label as at least three different hp rating. I know definitely to this as I had three Craftsman mowers in the my shop the same week that were label 18.5, 19.5, and 20.5. All three were sitting side by side.

But if a Craftsman then the owners manual might give us a model number. The problem there is the engine maybe a transplant engine so that may not even work.

charlie77

Threads
this engine was given to me as is with no idea what it came from. Want to thank everybody for all the help Ill start on it next week

skiman

Threads
Only one problem there as some Craftsman mowers that used the 420000 series even with same type numbers were label as at least three different hp rating. I know definitely to this as I had three Craftsman mowers in the my shop the same week that were label 18.5, 19.5, and 20.5. All three were sitting side by side.

But if a Craftsman then the owners manual might give us a model number. The problem there is the engine maybe a transplant engine so that may not even work.
i did say it can help...not a definate...and other mowers besides craftsman use the opposed brigg twins where the hp was fixed to the model...

Tinkerer200

Threads
if you can tell us whattractor model number this came off of there will be info on the engine hp rating which can help identify the model 42 or 44 or 46...
Well it diffident is not a 44, that is a OHV engine.

Tinkerer200

Threads
HP rating decals on mowers mean very little. Towards the end of the run of "L" head engines due to Government emissions restrictions, B&S was plastering all kinds of HP ratings on the left over engines. I have seen 46 series engines with 16.5 hp stickers on them, originally called 20 - 22 hp. Same is true of the 28 series "L" head engines. Usually if it has a .5 hp attached to the hp, it is an oversize engine. While B&S got in trouble for over rating their engines, no restrictions on under rating them.
Walt Conner

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
HP rating decals on mowers mean very little. Towards the end of the run of "L" head engines due to Government emissions restrictions, B&S was plastering all kinds of HP ratings on the left over engines. I have seen 46 series engines with 16.5 hp stickers on them, originally called 20 - 22 hp. Same is true of the 28 series "L" head engines. Usually if it has a .5 hp attached to the hp, it is an oversize engine. While B&S got in trouble for over rating their engines, no restrictions on under rating them.
Walt Conner
Had a customer years ago that had the 40 series on his mower with the 12.5 hp sticker.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
These charts may help a little.bschart 001.JPGbschart 002.JPGbschart 003.JPG