BRIGGS PARTS HELP!!!!

charlie77

Threads
I have a basket case rebuild cant find any model numbers. Anybody help by looking at these pics?
[ATTACHREUSE]

thumbnail (13).jpgthumbnail (14).jpgthumbnail (16).jpgthumbnail (17).jpgthumbnail (17).jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On that engine you will normally find all engine numbers on the valve cover or engine shroud. If you can’t find them look on the bottom of the valve cover, as someone may have installed them upside down.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unless I an blind that is an opposed twin L head engine and has no valve covers. Look at all the engine covers for the model type and code numbers. I have seen them in various places on those engines.

Last edited:

charlie77

Threads
figures the one side the engine cover is missing is probably the side with the numbers. Anybody know is there a starter that fits a few models like this? I got on Amazon looked at a bunch. The mounting brackets are all 90 degrees and it looks like I need one with it just flat. Starter is missing on this engine and I have combed it cannot find any model numbers anywhere.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To me it looks like a Briggs opposed twin engine. If that is the case, there are three possible starters used on that engine. Also means the there might be a ID plate riveted to the red blower housing. Do you have this cover and can you post a picture of it, plus the side of the block where the starter mounts?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Being a vertical opposed engine it would use this type of starter.
1671836120433.png
Stens 435-307

Mounting bolts (screws) are under the flywheel.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Briggs put out a "Twin Cylinder L Head " repair manual which covers all variations of the opposed cylinder engines.
A quick flick through will reveal which variation you have good enough to order parts with
There was only a dozen or so modles and all of them have the same general specifications
The only real differences are the manifold / carb & air filter / Starter / controls ( ignoring the crank orientation )

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
To me it looks like a Briggs opposed twin engine. If that is the case, there are three possible starters used on that engine. Also means the there might be a ID plate riveted to the red blower housing. Do you have this cover and can you post a picture of it, plus the side of the block where the starter mounts?
some had the plate riveted to the top of the blower housing and some had it stamped into the cover on the starter side of the engine.

charlie77

Threads
of course the blower housing is missing. I will grab a starter like the ones you guys showed me and thanks a ton for all the help!!!!!

Tinkerer200

Threads
Since that engine has a cast iron intake manifold, it will be too old to have a tag riveted to the top of the cooling shroud. The number would have been on the cooling shroud covering the side of the cylinder to the left of the picture when facing the intake manifold, #1 cylinder. Well, it appears to be a hybrid since it has plastic cooling fan, so maybe had a tag. With a cast iron intake manifold, it should not have plastic cooling fan. Of course it is an "L" head so will not have numbers on a valve cover. Can't tell if it is a 40 series or a 42 series.

Vertually any B&S starter will work on that by changing the end mounting plate. The mounting plate for these often wore the top bushing oblong shaped letting the armature rub on the windings so check that on any replacement. While a replacement bushing is not offered by B&S, you can get one close at farm supply or hardware and easily adapt it for a replacement.

I can send you a Service Manual covering the engine IF you like, address below put in proper format and remind me what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Last edited: