BRIGGS PARTS HELP!!!!

hrxgene

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a basket case rebuild cant find any model numbers. Anybody help by looking at these pics?
[ATTACHREUSE]

View attachment 63052View attachment 63053View attachment 63054View attachment 63055View attachment 63056My old simplicity built Deutz-Allis had an identical (I think )eng. Model # 400707, Type 1221-02, code 9303305b.It came on Deutz 14hp. this one. 16hp-402700 & 12.5hp-#404700. Jacks small engines. carries the parts you'll need.
of course the blower housing is missing. I will grab a starter like the ones you guys showed me and thanks a ton for all the help!!!!!

Tinkerer200

Threads
You can not tell from the physical appearance of these engine whether it is a 40, 42 or a 46 series engine. While some parts will interchange between the three, not all will obviously since the hp varies considerably. I doubt it is a 40 series.

Walt Conner

Sherman Anderson

Forum Newbie
Threads
of course the blower housing is missing. I will grab a starter like the ones you guys showed me and thanks a ton for all the help!!!!!
If the parts search gets tougher check eBay and craigslist for sources.

charlie77

Threads
Since that engine has a cast iron intake manifold, it will be too old to have a tag riveted to the top of the cooling shroud. The number would have been on the cooling shroud covering the side of the cylinder to the left of the picture when facing the intake manifold, #1 cylinder. Well, it appears to be a hybrid since it has plastic cooling fan, so maybe had a tag. With a cast iron intake manifold, it should not have plastic cooling fan. Of course it is an "L" head so will not have numbers on a valve cover. Can't tell if it is a 40 series or a 42 series.

Vertually any B&S starter will work on that by changing the end mounting plate. The mounting plate for these often wore the top bushing oblong shaped letting the armature rub on the windings so check that on any replacement. While a replacement bushing is not offered by B&S, you can get one close at farm supply or hardware and easily adapt it for a replacement.

I can send you a Service Manual covering the engine IF you like, address below put in proper format and remind me what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com
I would love the engine part of the manual!!! heres my e mail chstebbins@verizon.net

and THANKS!!!!!!

charlie77

Threads
Since that engine has a cast iron intake manifold, it will be too old to have a tag riveted to the top of the cooling shroud. The number would have been on the cooling shroud covering the side of the cylinder to the left of the picture when facing the intake manifold, #1 cylinder. Well, it appears to be a hybrid since it has plastic cooling fan, so maybe had a tag. With a cast iron intake manifold, it should not have plastic cooling fan. Of course it is an "L" head so will not have numbers on a valve cover. Can't tell if it is a 40 series or a 42 series.

Vertually any B&S starter will work on that by changing the end mounting plate. The mounting plate for these often wore the top bushing oblong shaped letting the armature rub on the windings so check that on any replacement. While a replacement bushing is not offered by B&S, you can get one close at farm supply or hardware and easily adapt it for a replacement.

I can send you a Service Manual covering the engine IF you like, address below put in proper format and remind me what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com
I would love that. chstebbins@verizon.net is the e mail and THANKS!!!!!

Dwstwrt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure if this will help you or not but I have a 19.5 hp B& S boxer, looks like yours with cast aluminum intake manifold.

Model 42E707 Type 2275 E1 Code 0106115A

The engine # etc. on mine is attached with a riveted tag to the top engine cover. Good Luck.

shadetree#1

Threads
If you have not already done so:
I would do a leak down test on the engine before throwing any green backs into it for parts. The leak down can be done using a source of compressed air.
If you decide on a starter DBelectric on-line has good starters and that type starter used the fiber gear. (look at the aluminum flywheel ring teeth really good and if any are distorted the fiber starter bendix gear will not last very long.
Those are good old engines when all is correct, but they are also know for the valve seats popping out which results in 0 compression on one cylinder.
I have a fix for popped valve seats on those that is a permanent fix other than peening. (and can be done with just the head off the engine.
Them type carbs had the fuel pump on the front of the carb, termed 3 screw and 4 screw type fuel pumps with 3 screw the later style. I also have a mod for converting those carbs to a external pulse fuel pump. (the on carb fuel pumps were a source of future trouble and kits getting expensive where as a pulse pump can be found for $10 or less.

As Walt Conner says a Briggs twin L-head service manual is what you need as it shows complete pictures of parts and repair.
ebay is a good source to review pictures of the parts also opnce you know what you are needing to review..

skiman

Threads
if you can tell us whattractor model number this came off of there will be info on the engine hp rating which can help identify the model 42 or 44 or 46...