Briggs and Stratton Small Engine Questions

nbpt100

Threads
Here is one tutorial from Youtube.

Skyharbor106

Threads
Wow, thanks so much! Had no idea there would be a tutorial on such a minor maintenance item. Appreciate it! George

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you think bar and chain oil would be a decent substitute. I have though about several times but never did try it.

Skyharbor106

Threads
Good question, have no idea. I am sticking with filter oil.

nbpt100

Threads
Briggs and Stratton suggests motor oil. That is all I have ever used. From what I have seen it is dirt bikes and boats that suggest the special filter oil. Not that others don't, I am sure someone will chime in with other manufacturers that suggest it. I would not over think it. Unless it keeps you up at night, just use what ever motor oil you have around the house. I am sure bar oil will be fine too. It is suppose to be a bit more tacky. I have it on hand but I want to save it for my chain saw. I often use 10w40 or 20w-50 for filters because I have some partially open bottles hanging around it is doubtfull I will use them for anything else other than an external lube. Good questions and good luck!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bar oil will not allow the air to pass through the filter properly and may cause a rich running condition.

nbpt100

Threads
Bar oil will not allow the air to pass through the filter properly and may cause a rich running condition.
That is a good point rivets. I guess you can experiment and check the spark plug after running for a little bit. To your same point, would air filter oil do the same where is is not specifically specified? I dont have direct experience with air filter oil. I do with bar oil and I bet you would be fine but I do not really know. It is worth the check to make sure. With either.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have no air filter oil any engine lubricating oil will work fine. I’ve always used SAE30 or 10W-30. Remember what IL posted, DO NOT SATURATED, use a teaspoon or two and squeeze out the excess.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW
I lay the clean filter down, upside down so carb side is facing up
I dip my finger in the FILTER OIL then run my wet finger over the filter surface till the filter changes colour .
When there is a shallow layer of oil on the filter I let it sit foe an hour or more to allow gravity to drag the oil down into the filter.
Then it gets fitted to the mower

Tbone0106

Threads
The lack of a fuel filter is intentional. Your mower's fuel tank is probably only an inch or two above its carburetor. It's a gravity feed system, and a filter would very likely slow fuel feed enough to starve the engine.