Briggs and Stratton 190cc throttle not working

nicknsw

Threads
Hi @bertsmobile1, @sgkent, @StarTech, @SeniorCitizen,
I'd like to thank each of you all for your help, but with the last snippet of advice from Bertsmobile1 regarding the "internal governor" I think I have come to the end of my skillset to take the engine apart. To be honest, other than moving the valve in the carburetor I don't know what I'd be looking for. Everything has been through trial and error :)
I have double checked the governor arm, and the assembly nut, the entire rig (assembly arm + governor arm + throttle plate) moved freely when I move the arm manually. Further, I can also see the valve in the carburetor opening and closing, there is no friction there, it doesn't stick. So, I'm inclined to take Berts advice that the "internal governor" is not working, although I do not know what this does beyond opening and closing the valve in the carburetor.

Last ditch effort with my latest video to show the governor assembly the the internal "knocking" sound it makes, which is performed freely, no friction.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LKP9WevR2WZ4GRTB7

If I was to take it to a mechanic to look and fix how much time do you think it would take to fix? Time is better than asking what it costs... that I can work out with the former. Again, thank you everyone.
1651974892767.png

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Slow the revs down. Engine is way over rev'ing. You need about half the revs that engine was singing with.

Guessing the governor is set backwards or broken internally. You can set the gov backwards and it will do as your video shows.

nicknsw

Threads
Thanks @slomo, I took the advice from @StarTech and setup the governor as per the instructions.
After starting the engine, and with the revs too high as indicated here, I can slow those revs down by moving the governor arm backwards (towards the rear of the machine) with my fingers. To the point that if I hold the governor arm as far back as it will go the engine slows then eventually comes to a stop. It is only when I let go of the governor, does the engine rev up to that undesirable speed.
I wouldn't know what to look for if I was to "go in" and source the internal governor. Even getting into the damn things looks harder than breaking into a bank vault.
Can you please elaborate on what you mean when you say "You can set the gov backwards and it will do as your video shows."?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you please elaborate on what you mean when you say "You can set the gov backwards and it will do as your video shows."?
If you loosen the gov arm nut on the shaft that sticks up out of the block, and move the gov arm the wrong way in regards to the throttle plate opening, you will have an engine that is at max revs ALL the time. Gov and linkage arm can be set backwards.

Double check what you have done in setting this governor nut/arm up and GENTLY snugged down. No impact guns are required here. If you are right handed, used your left hand with open fingers (to lower torque) when you torque that nut down.

I'm sure the directions that StarTech sent are proper. Just know if you loosen the nut and move the gov arm the "other" way, you get max revs all the time. The gov will not work proper.

Engine off, throttle plate should be WIDE OPEN. Engine on, the gov pushes against the linkages to CLOSE the throttle plate down.

Last edited:

nicknsw

Threads
Hi @slomo and thanks. Only just seen your post. I'll try this again at the weekend and let you all know. again, my sincere thanks

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is happening now? Update please.

nicknsw

Threads
Hi @slomo. Despite checking the setup of the gov arm, as per the instructions here, the engine is still over revving. I'm at a loss and rather than spend any more time on it I'll take it in to be repaired, and keep my fingers the bill doesn't give me something else to worry about! I'll let you know. THanks again mate.

dougmacm

Threads
Your 1st picture shows a BENT rod connecting the throttle cable pivot to the carb linkage.

I've got a similar linkage set up on a 190cc B&S powered 1996 Lawn Boy and the same linkage rod on mine is STRAIGHT.

If your linkage rod is supposed to be straight as well, this could definitely be the problem ... see pic.

Until I saw this thread, I had no clue WHY my mower had this rod and 2nd control cable position (thought my mower was missing a cable, but what it did I had no clue !!).

Doug

Attachments

• IMG_4165.JPG
    IMG_4165.JPG
    525.8 KB · Views: 4