Briggs and Stratton 190cc throttle not working

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
@bertsmobile1, you suggested I check the governor. I did this, as suggested at half throttle, and the throttle plate (2) does not pivot when I move the governor loop with the throttle lever. Note, when I pivot the plate manually with my fingers waggling the governor, the engine performs as it should, speeding up and down accordingly. See video link below.
I removed the shroud and cleaned out the debris that collected.
Not quite with you here
With the throttle set at 1/2 speed the engine speed should increase when you push that loop towards the spring
The further you push the loop the harder the governor should be pushing back against your finger
Is this happening ?

nicknsw

Threads
Not quite with you here
With the throttle set at 1/2 speed the engine speed should increase when you push that loop towards the spring
The further you push the loop the harder the governor should be pushing back against your finger
Is this happening ?
Sorry, let me try again.
When I start it up it runs at 100% power.
I turn the throttle to halfway and it still runs at 100% power... no change.
The only change to power is when the throttle is in the off position - the engine comes to a standstill.
Any position the throttle is in, other than off, the machine is running at 100%.
When I manually move the loop that the governor spring is attached to, towards the rear of the machine, the engine slows (go to 0:50 onwards in the video of the mower running), and eventually stops.
The problem is not the spring pulling the governor arm towards the front of the machine (which you have correctly surmised by the arm pushing against my finger), which makes it go faster, the problem is pushing the arm/loop to slow the speed. There is no tension, or pulling power on the arm for it to slow.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There has to be some governing force because without it the engine will race away at an uncontrollable speed then blow up
The normal full speed is 3500 rpm at around 5000 rpm the engine explodes because the con rod is not strong enough to go that quick.
As your engine has not blown up I have to assume that the governor is in fact working but I would like a short video of it running so we can hear the speed
If you can set your camera ( better than a phone ) on a stand or some bricks so it is not bouncing around the shoot the top of the carb from full throttle while you slowly throttle down to stop
The sort of angle you took the still from would be great
We really need to hear the engine running .
It could be the spring is too strong , the governor is not working properly or the controls are bent
This engine layout is very easily buggered by pushing the mower under low shrubs and having branches bend the levers & rods out of position.
B & S has put some better protection on your model but it is still pathetic which is why the 2 strokes had the throttle cables running through the snorkel so they can not get damaged by colliding with branches, low walls car bumpers etc etc etc .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
does the governor assembly work all the way to the back, meaning are all the components connected all the way to the governor shaft? If so it sounds like the governor inside the engine has failed.

nicknsw

Threads
There has to be some governing force because without it the engine will race away at an uncontrollable speed then blow up
The normal full speed is 3500 rpm at around 5000 rpm the engine explodes because the con rod is not strong enough to go that quick.
As your engine has not blown up I have to assume that the governor is in fact working but I would like a short video of it running so we can hear the speed
If you can set your camera ( better than a phone ) on a stand or some bricks so it is not bouncing around the shoot the top of the carb from full throttle while you slowly throttle down to stop
The sort of angle you took the still from would be great
We really need to hear the engine running .
It could be the spring is too strong , the governor is not working properly or the controls are bent
This engine layout is very easily buggered by pushing the mower under low shrubs and having branches bend the levers & rods out of position.
B & S has put some better protection on your model but it is still pathetic which is why the 2 strokes had the throttle cables running through the snorkel so they can not get damaged by colliding with branches, low walls car bumpers etc etc etc .
Hi Bert, thanks again. Did you not see the video I posted yesterday afternoon, attached link to the mower running.

nicknsw

Threads
does the governor assembly work all the way to the back, meaning are all the components connected all the way to the governor shaft? If so it sounds like the governor inside the engine has failed.
Hi Sgkent, I believe the governor assembly, which I've assumed is the connection from the throttle plate at the front of the machine, all the way to the back of the machine via the governor arm is what you are referring to, is connected as it should be. It certainly appears to the the case when the shroud has been taken off (the first video shows this I believe: https://photos.app.goo.gl/WhjB51JQVhUxa6Uc6 ), but I cannot confirm this when the cover is back on as the assembly is hidden from view when the machine is started. If you watch the same video I shared with Bert from 0:50 onwards you can see and hear the engine slowing when I manually move the governor arm, which in turn must be moving the linkage at the back of the machine because the engine slows and eventually cuts out - as it should.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cCCUJLzWLGwCWJQu7

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi Bert, thanks again. Did you not see the video I posted yesterday afternoon, attached link to the mower running.
OK
I missed the video
Your governor is not working
That engine is chronically over reving & you are lucky it has not gone bang already
Double check that the governor is adjusted properly
If it is adjusted properly then the governor internally is buggered
They are not expensive just a PIA to pull the engine apart to replace .

nicknsw

Threads
OK
I missed the video
Your governor is not working
That engine is chronically over reving & you are lucky it has not gone bang already
Double check that the governor is adjusted properly
If it is adjusted properly then the governor internally is buggered
They are not expensive just a PIA to pull the engine apart to replace .
Thanks for your help. I'll make a start on pulling the engine apart at the weekend, find the part and source something online, assuming it's within my skillset! Appreciate your help

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
My question came because you moved the arm right at the throttle. What I wanted t to know was if you moved it all the way at the very back where it comes out of the engine, does that movement relay properly all the way to the front?

nicknsw

Threads
My question came because you moved the arm right at the throttle. What I wanted t to know was if you moved it all the way at the very back where it comes out of the engine, does that movement relay properly all the way to the front?
Yes it does when I move the arm manually