My apologies to the group (and to Briggs & Stratton), I have discovered since starting this thread that the engine may be a 7.8hp "Generac" model. In any case there is a B&S parts listing I got from the Sears website which does list an 8psi pressure switch (not a level) even though I can't find an oil pump in the parts list (?????) or parts diagram. And the switch definitely appears to be a pressure switch, at least from the outside. My replacement arrives tomorrow so I'll know for sure after I do the exchange.
I cannot find an engine model number on the engine. It was the Sears part listing that led me to believe the engine was a Briggs. But photos I've looked at in Google lead me to believe it is a Generac. The two are so close together in size etc. it's hard to tell. Very confusing !
Richard