Briggs 17hp wont start and stay running

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
Okay, I think I will have to go buy a "file" from home depot today. I dont think I have anything that will grind it down.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
NO , NO, No.
Never touch to them with a file.
Use some wet & dry on a sheet of glass or an oil stone.
The tips are hardened and most files won't touch them unless you rally hoe into it .
Then you take off way too much so have to go back & remove metal from the valve face or seats.
It will be slow so turn on the radio or put on your favourite music and sort of relax.

Note what the manual says, and grind them down to the maximum clearence if measuring with the valves held in by hand.
When you think it is right, refit the springs, squirt some oil on the toching faces and spin the motor for a few minutes ( in short bursts)
Then remeasure the gap and adkust some more if necessary.
Done right it is a once in 5 to 10 year job so worth taking the time to do properly.

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
Darn already bought the file, but needed one anyway. So, I will do as requested and get the right stuff and then work on it tomorrow lol.

Wait, Use some wet & dry on a sheet of glass or an oil stone.

wet and dry (sandpaper)?

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
Not having any luck on finding the right tools to grind them down. Can somebody give me a link or explain more?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You got it right.
Wet & dry is a type of abrasive paper but it is not sandpaper.
Usually it is cabourundium a type of synthetic diamond and sold in grades with numbers.
You are looking at someting around 320 to 600,
Bigger the number finer the grit. Lube it with some light oil , WD 40 or even a slowly dripping hose.
Oil stone is the thing you sharpen chisels and axes with should only be a couple of dollars.
Generally about 6" to 10" long and 3" to 5" wide with coarse on one side and fine on the other.
Occasionally you will see an instruction to "stone " somthing and this is what they mean.
In either case hold the vlave at right angles to the abrasive and move it in a figure 8 pattern which helps to keep things even.

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
I'm just not finding anything on this when I google to try and buy it.

I search oil stone but get nothing. I found a thing at Home Depot "Chisel and plane iron sharpening kit"?

Does it have another name?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
They are called wet stones, for sharpening knives and the like. You put either oil or water on the surface when using to help prevent clogging of the pores in the stone. Get a course as well as a fine, because otherwise it will be time consuming. The exhaust valve stem is so hard that it gives grinding stones a run for their money sometimes. You can also use wet/dry sandpaper, but I would also find some course grid in that also if possible to cut down on time to do the valves.

Daquiri_briggs

Threads
They are called wet stones, for sharpening knives and the like. You put either oil or water on the surface when using to help prevent clogging of the pores in the stone. Get a course as well as a fine, because otherwise it will be time consuming. The exhaust valve stem is so hard that it gives grinding stones a run for their money sometimes. You can also use wet/dry sandpaper, but I would also find some course grid in that also if possible to cut down on time to do the valves.

Perfect, I grabbed this the other day from home depot... but I will go get the right stuff tonight and get grinding haha.. I added a few other pictures of stuff I had lying around the garage.. this stone in the pictures is for sharpening knives, not sure if that is a "wet/oil stone" or not though.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/akp5njap1b5z88r/AABR3FM4K2E50pbywf9x40JGa

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Looks like an Arkansas wet stone in your 3rd and 4th pictures.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
AH yes, the two peoples seperated by a common language strikes again.
Down here they are called oil stones.
Sand paper is just that paper with sand stuck on it and is used only on wood
Glass paper is similar except it as blast furnace slag as the abrasive
Wet & Dry is usually carborundam ( a USA invention ) and is used on metals and painting cars
And emery paper is not paper at all but cloth backed.