Briggs 17hp Intek OHV Hard To Turn Over

JonnyBlaze

Threads
It's still only turning over 1 revolution at a time with the key. When I remove the spark plug, it turns over like it should. Battery and everything is good. Not sure what problem is.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Pull the rocker cover off and adjust the valve lash.
They get bigger over time and that defeats the decompression .
The starters are weak on mowers and can not overcome full compression.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
:welcome:

Pull the rocker cover off and adjust the valve lash.
They get bigger over time and that defeats the decompression .
The starters are weak on mowers and can not overcome full compression.
Lol

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
John it's got to be something to do with that compression release, connected with the valve-train components, including the camshaft, you did get the timing marks on the crank and cam lined up .. RIGHT ??

JonnyBlaze

Threads
John it's got to be something to do with that compression release, connected with the valve-train components, including the camshaft, you did get the timing marks on the crank and cam lined up .. RIGHT ??
Yes. I did.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it really spins good without the plug, ..... everything SHOULD be .. pointing to timing, magnet on flywheel is positioned at the coil at/ near TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke ..?? valve GUIDES were in correct position in the head ..?? valves not bent or dragging ..?? re-check rocker arms correctly installed .. ?? I can't figure this out, worst case scenario ..... is a teardown and reassembly following the Manual step by step.... SOMETHING somewhere is amiss !!

:confused2:..:confused2:

Luffydog

Threads
In your last video you posted the exhaust valve wasn't moving to release the compression. There was no bump on the exhaust valve on the compression stroke. To it to top dead center on the compression stroke loosen the valves. Remember the exhaust is on the top and intake is the bottom on the s's. Readjust the valves. You might have adjusted them on the wrong stroke is what might have happened or the cam is installed wrong. Intake .003 exhaust .005

JonnyBlaze

Threads
In your last video you posted the exhaust valve wasn't moving to release the compression. There was no bump on the exhaust valve on the compression stroke. To it to top dead center on the compression stroke loosen the valves. Remember the exhaust is on the top and intake is the bottom on the s's. Readjust the valves. You might have adjusted them on the wrong stroke is what might have happened or the cam is installed wrong. Intake .003 exhaust .005
How do I know that I'm on the compression stroke?

Last edited:

Luffydog

Threads
Take the plug so you can roll the engine over easily by hand. Watch the valves the one on the bottom is your intake valve it will go down which is open then it will close at that point put your finger over the plug hole you should feel air pushing out when you feel the air stop put and small screw driver in the plug hole then keep turning the engine by hand it should push the screw driver out but be careful because it might get caught on the piston. Now when turning it should push it out but when your slowing turning the engine at some point the screw driver should stop coming out that should be top dead center. If you keep turning you will feel the screw driver go down if you have to then back it back up. The easiest way you can tell is. The valve on the top is the exhaust valve turn the engine over by hand watch it and it will open keep turning it will close and then the bottom will open that's the intake stroke and then it will close and then the piston should be down put your screw driver in the plug hole and then turn the engine over by hand until the screw driver starts coming out to the farther point without go back in or down in the cyclinder at that point you should be tdc on the compression stroke and should set your valves. Bottom valve which is intake .003 and the top valve which is your exhaust .005 this should get your valves to spec. Now there is and 9/16 or 5/8 nut there and that is not how you adjust them. There should be a set screw in the middle of that nut. Loosen it and now turn the nut to the adjustment per valve you are on. Then hold nut and turn the set screw in. Make sure that the little caps are there and you adjust them while they are on.

Threads
Ok I'm back I was trying to hook up a printer KODAK and it's at lest 9 years old... Scanner, Copier and printer all in one... Downloading software for the unit and it doesn't print..... New ink but no go... It won't print.......

Ok Johnny Blaze, like Luff dog said did you put your caps back on......... I don't do the TDC and the 1/4 past TDC method......

Plus I do 4 thou on each one.... Never had a issue with doing it that way........ All the other dealers in my area do it the same as I do...........

I know you already know how to set valves...... But here is the way a lot of people do it and is the simplest way........

https://youtu.be/8PEUt_KAcYk

Call me tomorrow evening and let me know........ Oh let us know on here too...........

Plus Tard Mon Ami