BG56C ignition coil specs for OHMS

theticket

Threads
Got a 3 year old blower that is now taking forever to get started, but runs after starting, so I changed fuel filter and spark plug. Still cannot get a spark on plug(using probably a crappy simple method), but if I take 10 or so pulls on the rope, it starts, so I tested the ignition coil after watching a video and I was getting 2000-2100 resistance. I think I am supposed to get between 2200 and 3000. Not sure, but maybe I need a new ignition coil. Any Ideas???

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Likely the coil is fine. Take off the air filter and remove the screen from the muffler and start, see if it runs any different.

theticket

Threads
Likely the coil is fine. Take off the air filter and remove the screen from the muffler and start, see if it runs any different.
I did remove the air filter, but not the screen from the muffler. Will try that. BTW the OHMS were the secondary Coil resistance numbers. Not an expert on that by any means, just from watching a video.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I go by the "sparky vs. no sparky" method.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
resistance numbers are there to occupy the minds of the brain dead who have no idea how a modern hall effect triggered coil works.
But they have an expensive meter that flashes a lot of numbers so it must be important to their tiny minds.
There is a good reason why you do not see resistance numbers quoted by the factories any more.
Coils are a non servicable item. they either work or they don't work and apart from fitting a new plug cap are not able to be repaired.
Even then a lot of them are fitted with graphite HT wires so you can not even replace the plug cap .

A hand held that is a bitch to start cold but start easily when hot is generally a sign of damaged crank shaft seals .
On most this requires the crankcase to be split so it is a viable repair for the home owner to do but not for a shop as the labour charge is greater than the replacement cost on domestic grade machines .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
"But they have an expensive meter that flashes a lot of numbers so it must be important to their tiny minds."

Didn't realize you have watched me troubleshoot with a meter.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually people who understand electricity would write 2kΩ to 3kΩ or at the most precise 2.0kΩ
People who don't understand write the numbers they see like 2137.52 Ω

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Then what about Kirchoff ?
Lots more fun with him cause you get to play with your pocket calculator and numbers 10 digits long .

theticket

Threads
resistance numbers are there to occupy the minds of the brain dead who have no idea how a modern hall effect triggered coil works.
But they have an expensive meter that flashes a lot of numbers so it must be important to their tiny minds.
There is a good reason why you do not see resistance numbers quoted by the factories any more.
Coils are a non servicable item. they either work or they don't work and apart from fitting a new plug cap are not able to be repaired.
Even then a lot of them are fitted with graphite HT wires so you can not even replace the plug cap .

A hand held that is a bitch to start cold but start easily when hot is generally a sign of damaged crank shaft seals .
On most this requires the crankcase to be split so it is a viable repair for the home owner to do but not for a shop as the labour charge is greater than the replacement cost on domestic grade machines .
OK, thanks. Might just tear it apart when it finally stops working and check the seals.