BG-86 BG86 Carb Adjustment Tool - Stihl# 59108902314

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't recall anyone ever suggesting messing with or tweaking a mower or engine that is still under warranty. Where did that come from?

On the tool subject, if the tool is off limits so should be any engine parts that can affect emissions. In fact if one goes down that rabbit hole, it should be illegal for anyone to work on a mower in a way that can affect emissions when the engine falls under EPA or CARB standards unless they have a license from them showing competence and the proper sniffing tools. Maybe a biannual smog test too on all this equipment and an OBDC-2 type system. That seems the logical conclusion of going down the gotta be licensed to own an orange handled screwdriver rule.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sgkent, I was just noting what some of my customers have try to do to me by cutting off limiter caps. Those did usually got either billed for me re-tuning or turn away from future repairs. Some have cooked their engine by tuning to peak speeds or tuned them too lean when they are not designed for that kind of tuning.

Many a DIYer have just brought carbs and slap them on without even trying to tune them. A few years ago Lowes was selling handhelds that were never tuned before the sales with lots of them failing shortly after being used the first time.

SamD

Threads
If the tool is off limits so should be any engine parts that can affect emissions. In fact if one goes down that rabbit hole, it should be illegal for anyone to work on a mower in a way that can affect emissions when the engine falls under EPA or CARB standards unless they have a license from them showing competence and the proper sniffing tools. Maybe a biannual smog test too on all this equipment and an OBDC-2 type system. That seems the logical conclusion of going down the gotta be licensed to own an orange handled screwdriver rule.
Rabbit hole indeed. We CAN (and likely WILL) regulate ourselves right out of sanity..., or right into insanity.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remember that the equipment we are talking about has already been banned in Cal and one by one every other state will follow suit.
Much easier & cheaper to ban home owners to meat CO2 abatement than to get a cement plant or steel maker to modify their production at very great expense .

SamD

Threads
Remember that the equipment we are talking about has already been banned in Cal and one by one every other state will follow suit.
Much easier & cheaper to ban home owners to meat CO2 abatement than to get a cement plant or steel maker to modify their production at very great expense .
Sadly, other states may follow the lead of the nutcases running CA, but I'll likely be pushing up daisies before that happens. The EPA, for all the good it does, is still another out-of-control federal bureaucracy that must do something to prove its worth from year to year. When pencil-pushers rule the land, we're all screwed...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In my Utopia all politicans would need the minimum of either a science or medical degree and must have been working in the real world for at least 10 years

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
People are usually hired because of a skillset they have and if they do a bad job they are fired. Politicians got the job because they won a popularity contest. No skillset required and they do not get fired for doing a bad job. Being elected OR appointed to a government position does not require knowledge or skillset.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
StarTech - I would never advocate someone tinker with anything if they have someone with the tools to do the job better than they can. I am 71, almost 72 and have been working on engines and tuning them for 60 of those years. On more than one occasion I either refused to work on someone's something, or billed them extra because they tinkered with it after I had things working perfectly. Typically they did it to save $20 and it ended up costing them much more than that to put things right again. In general I will not work on something if someone else is going to work on it too. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
People are usually hired because of a skillset they have and if they do a bad job they are fired. Politicians got the job because they won a popularity contest. No skillset required and they do not get fired for doing a bad job. Being elected OR appointed to a government position does not require knowledge or skillset.
They get hired because of political manipulations to satisfy the faceless nameless back room power brokers
All they need to do is be 100% loyal to whoever is pulling the strings that works their mouths
That is the down side with parties providing candidates .
The good thing is you can always vote for an independent and right now the independents are pulling around 30% of the first votes in the elections we are abut to have.
Each side is busy telling the population that the other side can not be trusted without a second thought that people might just believe what they are saying and vote for neither major party .
Then again I am an optimist

TwinL

Threads
Anyone know where to find one of these asinine octagonal adjusters for a reasonable amount of money?

Had I known this blower had these adjusting screws, I might not have purchased it as I always work on my own equipment.

OR, can anyone recommend an aftermarket carb to replace the brand new one on this unit, one that I can adjust to make the blower run correctly?

Thank you!
I purchased this set on Amazon around $15.00, so far has fit everything I have worked on maybe not the highest quality but is doesn't take much torque to set the jets ,

ABOLE Carburetor adjustment tool Pac Man/Small Head Pac Man/Single D/Small Head Single D/Double D/Hexagon Hex Socket / 21-Teeth / 7-Teeth Splined Screwdriver for Common 2 Cycle Small Engine (Set of 8)​

Brand: XONOR