BG-86 BG86 Carb Adjustment Tool - Stihl# 59108902314

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
all of the EPA and CARB regulations that I have seen, and I have seen a lot, make it illegal to change an engine to put out more emissions than when it came from the factory. The laws typically do not limit who can touch it but rather the end result. That is also true on cars back to 1967. To CARB for example, you can put on the wrong part, still sniff properly within spec and still be in violation for tampering. How many lawn mower technicians can certify that all the emission equipment on their pre-OBDC cars is 100% intact, and still original to EPA and CARB specs? I can.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
All I know is the engines do need to be properly tuned when repairs are made. Yes individuals are not allowed the tools as they have very little knowledge of how to properly tune as engine.

Does that means everyone not are not an OEM dealer should be barred? No it doesn't as many dealers are hiring flunkies for repair techs. I am lucky that my Stihl dealer will sale me the tools that I ask for as he knows that I do these repairs professionally and just need the tool in order to it correctly.

Until there is enough demand for the Octagon tool we are stuck with the Stihl tool. It only been in use a few years now. Beside most of the after market tools are sloppy fit wise that I have tried.

And yes I don't sell these tools here either but it more of I need the repair business to make a living than anything else.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You bring back such bad memories. Years ago the county i live in flunked the air quality test and became an E-check for emissions county. What an absolute cluster F***! The government farmed out the testing and they built 4 testing stations and they were closed more than they were open. The folks driving the beaters found it easier to steal plates off cars than comply with EPA regulations. It was a disaster for years.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Think you are a lucky that you don't live in Japan where a simple oil leak can take more than a year to get fix as the vehicles has to certified leak free.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When i was stationed in west berlin in 76-78 american service persons private vehicles didn't have to comply with the strict gernan vehicle laws. Pissed the Germans off to no end when some 20 year old kid is driving around in a V8 muscle car with glass packs, shackles and fat rear tires and they have to get permission to change tire size or even the rims. Wasn't me.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have yet to see a post with specific reference to "the" EPA or CARB EO that makes it illegal to sell a tool used to adjust a carb. I believe in my heart that is a manufacturer's and businesses' personal preference on how to protect themselves legally from someone tweaking the engine and then saying it came that way. The only law / EO I could find is that the manufacturer must guarantee for a minimum of 2 years that the engine meets EPA / CARB standards. The laws do specify that adjusting an engine to not meet the standards is tampering, and that tampering does have consequences.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here is a letter from the folks at Husqvarna sent to their dealers back in 2015. I kept a copy to show my students when a dealer I knew received an in person visit from an EPA investigator. He ended up with a verbal and written warning, as the regulation was less than 2 years old and they wanted to let people know they were out looking. He contacted Husqvarna and this was their reply.

To All Servicing Dealers,

It has come to our attention that certain proprietary carburetor adjustment tools are
becoming more readily available on the open market. These tools are necessary for the
proper adjustment of carburetors to ensure compliance with U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency emission regulations when service work is being performed.
US Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40: Protection of Environment
§1068.101(b) states:
(2) Defeat devices. You may not knowingly manufacture, sell, offer to sell, or
install, any part that bypasses, impairs, defeats, or disables the control of
emissions of any regulated pollutant … (EPA) may assess a civil penalty up to
$3,750 for each part in violation.
By selling the carburetor adjustment tools to consumers or making it available on the
internet, you may be viewed as selling a “Defeat device” and be subject to the above
penalties.
Please assist us to ensure these tools are only being used by your qualified staff and are
not made available for retail sale to the general public.
The part number for this tool is: 530 03 55-60 and is shown below.
Thank you for your support ensuring we are all operating in accordance with U.S
Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations.

Anthony Marchese

Vice President Part Sales and Service

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
All I know is when I repair an engine then install the limiters and tamper resistance plugs, if comes back in with them removed both the new equipment and repair warranties are voided. And I do charge for any necessary repairs again. I just don't need someone monkeying with my repairs if under warranty.

Yes most these tools are hard to get which is why I don't loan them out; unless, I got a spare one on hand. I do charge double for them upfront and will refund it when the tool is return. THe last one I loaned took 6 months to get back. The customer was complaining about why I hadn't refunded his money. I said when the tool comes back he get refunded.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
All I know is when I repair an engine then install the limiters and tamper resistance plugs,
You can get the 4203 121 2700 limiter caps? Must be nice. Dealer wants $15 apiece and doesn't really want ti sell them to me.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You can get the 4203 121 2700 limiter caps? Must be nice. Dealer wants $15 apiece and doesn't really want ti sell them to me.
I think those are the Walbro 25-200 limiter caps which are about $0.35.